More Nanki-Poo worries

Old November 20th 04, 04:59 PM
William Hamblen

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:41:48 GMT, "Yoj"
wrote:

Well, I have him confined to one room, but I guess I could put a couple
more bowls of water in there. I'm desperate enough to try anything at
this point. One problem is, it's very hard to tell if he has drunk any
water. The milk is easy, because there's only a little bit, but water
is trickier. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sometimes you just have to force-feed them. I once nursed a cat
through a case of feline tracheo-rhinitis by forcing fluids an
eyedropper at a time. You have to be careful to avoid aspiration.

Old November 20th 04, 08:28 PM
Yoj

Default More Nanki-Poo worries

I'm taking Nanki back to the vet in a couple of hours. He does a lot of
purring and snuggling, but he's still doing a lot of sneezing. Okay,
it's only been two days since he saw TED, but what really worries me is
that he hasn't eaten anything in 24 hours, he didn't drink his milk
yesterday evening, and he has only used the litter box once since we got
home from seeing TED. Since she gave him an infusion, she expected him
to use the litter box quite a bit. He has water, but I don't think he's
touched it.

Joy

Old November 20th 04, 11:03 PM
Hans Schrøder

"Yoj" wrote in message
m...
He has water, but I don't think he's
touched it.

All right, use my trick: Distribute several water bowls around the house
where he isn't used to find water bowls. Why?

From the beginning cats were desert animals, so it was important for theyir
survival to know where water was to be found. Therefor, all modern cats will
instictly examine all new sources of water to find out if it is worth
drinking.

This will, eventually, make a cat that doesn't want to drink from his
ordinary water bowl, drink from the *new* water bowls.

Give it a try, and see how he reacts

Hans

Old November 21st 04, 12:38 AM
Yoj

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
Purrs for Nanki-Poo -- please keep us posted.
Christine

Thanks Christine. Purrs, prayers and crossed fingers and paws will be
much appreciated.

I had to take Nanki-Poo back to the doctor. He hadn't eaten anything
for at least 24 hours, and I don't think he was drinking either. He had
another infusion and she took some blood to send out for testing. She
thinks he may have one of the nasty cat viruses. She says cats that are
properly cared for can live several years with them, but it would
probably mean keeping him shut up so Lindy can't catch it. She said it
was just a possibility, so I shouldn't get too depressed yet.

He doesn't seem to be feeling too bad. He snuggles and purrs, and he
actually jumped up onto the high shelf in the closet. As you know,
there's stuff on that shelf, so he had to be able to jump really high.

He's also very stubborn. She tried a different kind of food on him.
First she warmed it up in the microwave, and then she teased him with
it. He seemed definitely interested, but when she finally let him get
at it, he wouldn't eat. She also gave me an appetite stimulant to give
him. It's in pill form. She had me try giving him one, and he spit it
out. She got a special pill-giving gizmo and used it. He immediately
began drooling like crazy, and a few minutes later when I wiped off the
drool, part of the pill was there. The fact that he's so feisty is a
good sign, but it would be a lot better if he'd be more cooperative
about eating and taking pills.