'Starving' cat

Old March 26th 05, 07:28 AM
Marina

~~Tabbi~~ wrote:
He has been de-fleaed, de-sexed, had his claws trimmed, been micro-chipped,
vaccinnated and his name is Spike. He sleeps on our bed, eats like a horse,
he is a real softy unless he wants to play - then he can get a bit rough.

What a lovely story. Lucky Spike!

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old March 26th 05, 12:25 PM
hobbs

What a truly lovely story, even hough it has a *very* happy
ending I still had to keep wiping my eyes, and still am, can't
see the keys otherwise I'm so glad he's a lucky Spike.
Hugs. Jean.P.
~~Tabbi~~ wrote in message
Hello cat-fans! Got a story for you about a stray cat.

There was a grey tabby/white cat who would sneak in our cat-door after we
went to bed to eat the left over cat food and munch on the cat biscuits.

would try and sneak back and catch a glimpse of him but he would always

get
away before I got to the kitchen. This started middle of last year I
reckon.

I knew who it was because on the weekend nights when we would stay up

later
there would sometimes be a worried face peering around the door as if to

say
'Hey! Go to bed, will you? I'm hungry!' The first glimpses I got were of

young cat's face. Later, as he got a bit braver, he would be waiting on

the
back door mat for us to go to bed. So, being the sucker-for-a-furry-face
that I am, I started putting out the leftovers earlier. I'd open the

door,
he would run off a short way, then come back after I went back inside.

He was maturing, his face was wider, and I could see (ahem) that he was a
boy-cat as he ran away the few steps.

One night he didn't come for his meal - the next night an awful sight
awaited me. One side of his poor little face was hugely distended from a
massive abscess, his eyes were gooey with cat flu. I put down his food,
tears in my eyes. He still ran away but came back and ate every scrap. I
was encouraged by this (I was also getting meals ready for him, not just
scraps). Two nights later he looked much better, the fur on his face was
sticky from the burst abscess but he looked a lot brighter.

My normal tribe of cats (Bagster, Sally and Dusty) just accepted him. I

was
a bit concerned about his flu, but my guys are all young and vaccinated

and
there was no way I was going to ignore The Little Man as I called him.

He started to put on weight, his coat became glossier, I snuck some worm
tablets into his food which he ate with no problem.

In December a break-through! I touched him on the head while he ate !
Things evolved rapidly after that, he would rub his face on my hand and

wind
himself around my legs. Then he started to yell outside the door for his
dinner. He would generally eat and run - never see him during the day at
all.

One morning - there he was, asking for breakfast!

Then we had the night he came in while we were still up, strolled over to
eat, then he left.

A few days later, he ate, then walked over to the carpet, sat down and had

wash.

Finally, one Sunday morning, he had his breakfast then came into the
computer room, jumped on my lap and curled up.

He has been de-fleaed, de-sexed, had his claws trimmed, been

micro-chipped,
vaccinnated and his name is Spike. He sleeps on our bed, eats like a

horse,
he is a real softy unless he wants to play - then he can get a bit rough.

He has been pestering me while I have been typing this, he stuck his claws
in my leg twice - he still claims to be a starving cat! He weighs 6.5
kilograms - hardly emaciated. The vet has advised me to trim him down a
bit, but Spike is not co-operating.

Trouble is, now he is fussy with his food I have no one to clean up the

left
overs :-)

Have a fun and furry day with your little treasures, everyone !

Tabbi

Old March 26th 05, 01:59 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 11:17:35 +1030, "~~Tabbi~~"
yodeled:

(snip)
He has been pestering me while I have been typing this, he stuck his claws
in my leg twice - he still claims to be a starving cat! He weighs 6.5
kilograms - hardly emaciated. The vet has advised me to trim him down a
bit, but Spike is not co-operating.

Trouble is, now he is fussy with his food I have no one to clean up the left
overs :-)

Have a fun and furry day with your little treasures, everyone !

Tabbi

This is a wonderful story. Bless you and Spike. My rescue boy has
been with me almost fourteen years, and he's still "starving" when he
sees the bottom of his food bowl.

Theresa
Old March 26th 05, 04:58 PM
Adrian

~~Tabbi~~ wrote:
Hello cat-fans! Got a story for you about a stray cat.

snip

Lovely story, welcome to the group.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old March 26th 05, 05:22 PM
CatNipped

"~~Tabbi~~" wrote in message
[...]

LOL! I wasn't sure about the name "Spike" for a cat... then I saw his
picture and think that name is a perfect fit! ;

Thank you for a great story, bless you for caring!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 26th 05, 07:22 PM
O J

~~Tabbi~~ wrote:

Hello cat-fans! Got a story for you about a stray cat.

------------snip-----------------

Great story! It's nice to have someone new to share kitty stories
with.

Regards and Purrs,
O J
Old March 26th 05, 09:10 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

~~Tabbi~~ wrote:

Trouble is, now he is fussy with his food I have no one to clean up the left
overs :-)

Astonishing, how fast they learn to be "finicky", once
they're sure of regular meals!

Old March 26th 05, 10:40 PM
polonca12000

Welcome! Thank you so much for taking such good care of the poor kitty.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old March 26th 05, 10:53 PM
jmcquown

"~~Tabbi~~" wrote in message
[...]

This is a wonderful story of seek (on Spike's part) & rescue (on your part).
Thanks for sharing it! He's a lovely cat

Jill

Old March 26th 05, 11:59 PM
Susan M

"~~Tabbi~~" wrote in message
Hello cat-fans! Got a story for you about a stray cat.

I'm glad that you found each other. I checked out his pictures and he looks
like a Spike. He looks like he would appreciate a nice cosy house after his
checkered past. He has similar colouring to my Chester, the brown tabby on
white with the spots on his back.

(back view) http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63956903SAZjHq
(front view) http://community.webshots.com/photo/...63957006tPPjZj

Chester wears more eyeliner than Spike does but it also looks like Spike has
the same kind of "dirty" chin too?

Lovely story!

Susan M
Otis and Chester