-OT- Cheap clock

Old March 14th 10, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Default -OT- Cheap clock

I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was made in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went right to
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again. It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A real
bargain!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old March 14th 10, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was
made in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went
right to
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and
in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again.
It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A
real
bargain!

I would hope it isn't an atomic clock - that would cost many
thousands of dollars, not twelve! What you may have, however, is
a radio controlled clock, which synchronises with your region's
tme standard. In the UK, that's known as "MSF", and broadcasts on
a frequency of 60MHz.

--
MatSav

Old March 14th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot | pipex | dot | com wrote
in message ...
---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was made in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went right to
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again. It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A real
bargain!

I would hope it isn't an atomic clock - that would cost many thousands of
dollars, not twelve! What you may have, however, is a radio controlled
clock, which synchronises with your region's tme standard. In the UK,
that's known as "MSF", and broadcasts on a frequency of 60MHz.

--
MatSav

In the U.S., self-setting clocks are sold under the title of "atomic
clocks." They range in price, but many are inexpensive. I have had one for
several years, and it does always reset on the correct US date. If I
remember correctly, I paid about $20.00 for mine. Obviously, they do not
use nuclear energy, and the term "atomic" clock is a misnomer. Here are
some examples:
http://tinyurl.com/yzyv9vo
-or-the full URL:
http://www.google.com/products?q=wha...ed=0CC4QrQQwAg

MaryL

Old March 14th 10, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

---MIKE--- wrote:
I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was made in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went right to
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again. It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A real
bargain!

I would hope it isn't an atomic clock - that would cost many thousands of
dollars, not twelve! What you may have, however, is a radio controlled
clock, which synchronises with your region's tme standard. In the UK,
that's known as "MSF", and broadcasts on a frequency of 60MHz.

--
MatSav

I have a clock that is that also does the temp cost $23 at Wal-Mart when
I got mine on sale here is a link
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oregon-Sci...i_sku=11178803

Old March 14th 10, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

wrote in message ...
---MIKE--- wrote:
[...]

Way back when I worked, I set 3 alarm clocks each night: One was a
radio alarm, one was a windup and one just showed the time. The last
one is still running and it is over 40 years old. MLB
Old March 14th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

A lot of these clocks have huge numbers on them, but not enough
contrast to make them easy to read. I've seen better contrast
models, and next time I do I'm buying a new one.

Jo

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 6:29 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I bought an inexpensive clock last winter at Wal-mart. It was made
in
China and only cost about $12. When I plugged it in it went right
the correct time. In March it automatically reset to DST and in the
fall it went back to EST. This morning it reset to DST again. It is
NOT an atomic clock so I don't understand how it does this. A real
bargain!

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Congrats on your bargain product of inscrutable oriental clock
factories.
Lavish pets and scritches to Amber.

Little Boy and the alarm clock Mark Edwards Cat anecdotes 4 February 22nd 09 10:16 PM
My new China alarm clock Baha Cat anecdotes 2 June 25th 08 07:28 PM
the new improved alarm clock Jack Campin - bogus address Cat anecdotes 4 March 6th 08 10:35 AM
Kitty clock kilikini Cat anecdotes 38 January 3rd 07 07:30 PM
Put this on your CD alarm clock Phil P. Cat health & behaviour 6 November 7th 04 07:18 PM