My Cats, the Cattery and the Guilt!!!

Old April 1st 04, 05:32 PM
Gary

Default My Cats, the Cattery and the Guilt!!!

Hi all,

I have two cats tigger and tootsie there both 2yrs old! Im going away on
holiday and this is the first time they have had to go into a cattery. I
have made sure that they are together at all times - but i feel terrible for
putting them in!!! (Im quite attached to them really!).

I feel really daft but are cats different when they come back - and do they
still remember you and go back to 'normal'! (its very sad really but oohhh
the guilt!)

Basically these cats have always been indoor cats and i suppose what im
asking is - do they mind going into a cattery (its only for 4 days!).

Have everyone elses cats been through the gruelling experience of going on
'holiday' or am i just a daft owner who is too attached!

Ta Claire :S

(on someone elses name cos i cant change it!) DOH!

Old April 1st 04, 05:36 PM
Karen

Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine get.
It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.

Karen

Old April 1st 04, 05:38 PM
Gary

Thanks! Hopefully they will not be in a bad mood with me! I would
personally prefer the clingy option!

Claire

Old April 1st 04, 06:02 PM
kilikini

"Karen" wrote in message
Four days? No problem. They may be clingy for a while (this is how mine

get.
It's like double velcro, three cats and me) or they may give you a cold
shoulder for a day or two (I personallly have never experienced this.

Karen

(snip)

Mine always give me the cold shoulder if I leave them for a couple of days.
They get real "****y" and it takes a day or so for them to come crawling
into my lap again. They always do, tho!

kili

Old April 1st 04, 07:23 PM
Ivor Jones

"Gary" wrote in message
[...]

I'll be going away for a week in September, and it will be the first time
since I've had her (around 18 months) that I will have left Missy for
anything over one night. She's a very loving cat and demands lots of
attention, she really missed me when I was away overnight once.

My mother will hopefully be looking after her while I'm away, but I too am
concerned she will miss me while I'm not here and what her reaction will
be when I come home.

Please post here after you return and tell us how things went :-)

Ivor

BTW you're not daft for being too attached, I love my Missy more than
anything and I'm also really feeling terrible about leaving her, but I
really need a holiday as I haven't had one for 2 years..!

Old April 1st 04, 10:20 PM
Hailey

Hi Claire

I don't think it's any big deal at ALL that you leave them in a good
cattery, well cared for. I was thinking of taking at least one of ours to a
similar thing we have here, friends use this lady and she actually only
takes a certain # of kitties at any given time, they all have their own
cages, except for multiple kitties in a household. But she also gets to know
them day one and then lets them roam her house from then on, if she's able.

We do not take the boys camping with us on the reunion campouts, so that
means twice a year they have to stay at home, alone (well, with each other)
and someone comes in to feed and play with them twice a day. Not a lot, I
know, but they also have each other.
It's usually 4-5 days each time and when we get home Tucker (mine) is *very*
****y. And not just mad ****y LOL He has shown his displeasure by peeing on
the futon. It's not as bad as it sounds, however, because the first time he
did it (he's done it a total of three times now) he peed on a pillow on the
futon and we do have a cover on the futon, some pee got on it. All in all it
was no biggie. the pillow was ruined, the cover can be washed. I now put a
45 gallon garbage bag, cut open completely, under the cover and twice he
peed on that. Not for a good long time, though.
James is a darling and never gets mad, just clingy and lovey.
I guess all cats act out in different ways, just like their people do!
Hailey