Indoor kittens and indoors/outdoors cat -- how to manage?

Old June 18th 06, 06:46 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

Default Indoor kittens and indoors/outdoors cat -- how to manage?

Morgan they do have a computerized version of the door with a electronic
signal key that you attaches to the cat's collar they use it mostly for
dogs but it is small enough to work on cats if I find the info I will post
it but most modern petstores should have it but it cost around $200 or more

There is a guy who designed a photo door admittance his cats kept bring
their kills inside so he developed a system that would recognize a outline
of the cat minus the kill in the cat's mouth

wrote in message
oups.com...

Ivor Jones wrote:
Why not just let the new cats out..? It's cruel to restrict cats to an
indoor life IMHO, except for exceptional situations such as if the cat is
FIV+.

Hey, thanks, Ivor, for completely derailling the thread, so instead of
answering my question about a cat door, you moved it into a flamefest
regarding indoor v. outdoor cats -- which is best?

And did the rest of you HAVE to take the bait and keep it going? Aren't
there like a bazillion discussions on that topic? And does anyone's
mind get changed? NO !!

Okay back to my original request:

Does anyone know of a door that (perhaps with different key/collars)
can be set up so that the cat with the collar can go in/out but the
kittens are barred from exiting.

Or any other kind of strategy? Please don't suggest making the outdoor
cat an indoor one -- that's just not an option.

Erik, I appreciated that you were the only to stay on topic, but I
already have the kind of door you suggested. I need something a little
more sophisticated.

Any flaming of me will be ignored -- honestly, I am just looking for
some answers, not to get pulled into any kind of debate.

Thanks

Old June 18th 06, 11:14 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

David Chang wrote:
Keep this in mind:

Outdoor cats have an average life expectancy of 4 years
Indoor cats have an average life expectancy of 15 years

David, I don't want to have this thread veer off again to
indoor/outdoor cat -- which is best. As I wrote in my original email:

Please don't suggest making the outdoor cat an indoor one -- that's just not an option.

While you may disagree with my choice, please respect it. All I am
looking for is a door that not only prevents unwanted animals from
coming IN, but will also prevent certain animals from going out.

Old June 19th 06, 12:16 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

"Morgan" wrote in message
oups.com
David Chang wrote:
Keep this in mind:

Outdoor cats have an average life expectancy of 4 years
Indoor cats have an average life expectancy of 15 years

Not around here.

David, I don't want to have this thread veer off again to
indoor/outdoor cat -- which is best. As I wrote in my
original email:

Please don't suggest making the outdoor cat an indoor
one -- that's just not an option.

While you may disagree with my choice, please respect it.

I cannot respect that which is fundamentally opposed to my core beliefs. I
accept it is your decision, but I do not and never will believe that it is
your decision to make.

Make of that (and me) what you will, I will make no further comments.

Ivor

Old June 19th 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

"Morgan" wrote in message
oups.com...
David Chang wrote:
Keep this in mind:

Outdoor cats have an average life expectancy of 4 years
Indoor cats have an average life expectancy of 15 years

David, I don't want to have this thread veer off again to
indoor/outdoor cat -- which is best. As I wrote in my original email:

Please don't suggest making the outdoor cat an indoor one -- that's just

not an option.

While you may disagree with my choice, please respect it. All I am
looking for is a door that not only prevents unwanted animals from
coming IN, but will also prevent certain animals from going out.

Most people here really love cats. How can you expect any of us to
respect a choice you make that endangers your cats? Your request
is unreasonable, and your decision to endanger you cat very sad.

Old June 19th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

Ivor -- you write over 300 posts a months -- you don't have any "core
beliefs", you just can't SHUT UP, apparently. I thought the
rec.music.guitar folks were annoying, but it seems as Ivor and
logorrhetic ilk are determined to hog every newsgroup conversation.

I found what I was looking for -- now everyone jump back in and fight
tooth and nail whether 'tis better to have indoor cats or not. Thanks
for reminding me why newsgroups have become so irrelevant. Ooh, now
let's talk about whether kitties should be fixed or not !!

(so out of here)

Old June 19th 06, 07:59 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

Given an indoor cat on average live 4 times longer, do you or should
you try to have old age cats? It would be like you living to 300. Do
you really want to live that long even if you could afford it?

Old June 19th 06, 10:56 PM posted to alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc,alt.cats,alt.animals.cat

IMO I would
ups.com...