Angie hates me

Old September 16th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Adam

Default Angie hates me

This message more properly belongs in r.p.c.health+behav, but that group
seems to be predominantly off-topic. Anyway...

I am a volunteer cat socializer at the local SPCA, and doing pretty
well. There are several cats that no one but me is able to hold.
Unfortunately one of the cats, an adult named Angie, hates me. (I
believe she was simply "dropped off" at the shelter.) When I try to
touch her, she hisses at me. When I try to scratch her head, she swats
me. (Fortunately for me she is declawed.) If I happen to be within five
feet of her cage, she snarls at me. This makes things especially
difficult when I am trying to work with the cats in adjacent cages.
When I try to be nice to her, she hisses, snarls, and swats. I've tried
offering her catnip. I've tried brushing her. I've even tried hissing
and growling at her, to show her I'm not afraid of her (and I can
"out-stare" her, too), but nothing makes any difference in her behavior.
She is not like this with anybody else, not with the men and women who
work there, nor the men, women, and children who come through looking at
cats. Thursday they had to put a sheet over her cage, so she couldn't
see me while I was handling the cats in nearby cages!

What is going on here? What can I do to stop her from reacting to me so
strongly? How can I turn her into an adoptable pet?

Adam
--
Email: rubin AT bestweb DOT net
Old September 16th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Pi2nya AKA Sweetee

Adam wrote:
[...]

Du Yu 'spoze dat sumheow yu remynd hur ov sumbody hu treeted hur meen?

I yike yu Unka Adam, if dat hewlpz, an itz gud dat yu ar hewlpink udder
kitteez,
juzt not diz wun.

--
Pitö.önya

Old September 17th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory

Adam wrote:
This message more properly belongs in r.p.c.health+behav, but that group
seems to be predominantly off-topic. Anyway...

gently shredded...
What is going on here? What can I do to stop her from reacting to me so
strongly? How can I turn her into an adoptable pet?

Adam
--
Email: rubin AT bestweb DOT net

Unca Adam,

It mite haf sumfin' tu du wif da weigh yu dress ur smell (an' no, I'z
du NOT meen dat inna offensif weigh... jist... I'z wunnerin' iffin
mebbee yu ware whut Pawpa kallz "kalone" UB ~ cologne, Adam, an'
mebbee Angie kin smell dat, an' duzzint wike da smell uf it).

UB ~ I can't remember if kitties can see in color or only B&W, but it
may have something to do with the clothes you wear, too, Adam... maybe
whatever you're wearing scares the daylights out of Angie for some
reason... and maybe others are right... maybe you remind Angie of
someone who was mean to her, and if that's the case, it's just going to
be a long process to gain her trust, and you'll just have to be
patient.

--- Onyx... wif Pawpa Cory inna bakgrownd (ware him beelongz!
*snicker!*)

Old September 17th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
mlbriggs

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:08:44 -0400, Adam wrote:

[...]

Perhaps you could spray yourself with Feliway or some nice perfume...

Old September 17th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

change your cologne or other fragrances you wear, and it is possible you
look like someone who abused her, I have seen this before, Tiger decided he
hated our new TED because she was a woman, a female fixed him and handled
him insensitively, he never had issues with the male ted but it has taken
some to get him used to the female ted and she is a perfect cat person, also
you might want to switch the type of shirt you wear, collar to no collar,
like that, soft

Old September 18th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Me

Cory wrote:

UB ~ I can't remember if kitties can see in color or only B&W, but it
may have something to do with the clothes you wear, too, Adam... maybe
whatever you're wearing scares the daylights out of Angie for some
reason... and maybe others are right... maybe you remind Angie of
someone who was mean to her, and if that's the case, it's just going to
be a long process to gain her trust, and you'll just have to be
patient.

--- Onyx... wif Pawpa Cory inna bakgrownd (ware him beelongz!
*snicker!*)

Meowmie brot a bigbig roll of sumting kalled fabrik home a kuple ov
munths ago. She putz it on da bed and it was furry skary. I didn't no
wat to do an I hissed an swatted at da ugly fabrik.

Chappy

Hoomin note: This was a normal sized bolt of a bold Hawaiian style
fabric (black background with lot of yellows and reds). I have never
seen a reaction like the one Chappy had, and wonder if Adam's problem
might be due to clothing? Poor Chappy, he was just terrorized by that
fabric.
Old September 19th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory

Me wrote:
Cory wrote:

[...]

Like I said (or implied), I don't know for sure if kitties can see
color or just B&W, however, I'm wondering if you'd ever had something
that big (bolts of fabric can be pretty big/tall, IIRC) in the house
before. It could've been the way it smelled, too. Or it could have
indeed been the color of the fabric Chappy was reacting to.

--- Cory

Old September 19th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Me

Cory wrote:

Like I said (or implied), I don't know for sure if kitties can see
color or just B&W, however, I'm wondering if you'd ever had something
that big (bolts of fabric can be pretty big/tall, IIRC) in the house
before. It could've been the way it smelled, too. Or it could have
indeed been the color of the fabric Chappy was reacting to.

--- Cory

Weze seez lotz of boltz ov fabrik (meowmie qwiltz) an nobudy haz
problems but me wit onli dat won. I also hissed at a heeting pad meowmie
waz uzing fur hur neck. Meowmie wunders if I don't see korektly. It waz
red an blak.

Chappy
Old September 19th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory

Me wrote:
gentle shreddification... where IS GT, anyway???
Weze seez lotz of boltz ov fabrik (meowmie qwiltz) an nobudy haz
problems but me wit onli dat won. I also hissed at a heeting pad meowmie
waz uzing fur hur neck. Meowmie wunders if I don't see korektly. It waz
red an blak.

Chappy

I'z startin' tu wunner iffin' yooz hadda badbadbad eggspeereunz wif
sumfin' dat wuz blak inna kullur, Chappy.

--- Onyx, treddin' litely heer, giffin' da subjikt matfur an' da fakt
dat I'z uh blak kitty...

Old September 19th 06, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Me

Cory wrote:

Me wrote:
gentle shreddification... where IS GT, anyway???

Weze seez lotz of boltz ov fabrik (meowmie qwiltz) an nobudy haz
problems but me wit onli dat won. I also hissed at a heeting pad meowmie
waz uzing fur hur neck. Meowmie wunders if I don't see korektly. It waz
red an blak.

Chappy

I'z startin' tu wunner iffin' yooz hadda badbadbad eggspeereunz wif
sumfin' dat wuz blak inna kullur, Chappy.

--- Onyx, treddin' litely heer, giffin' da subjikt matfur an' da fakt
dat I'z uh blak kitty...

Buttid Ize a blak an wite kitty, an Snowflake is all blak and Booker is
blak an wite. I dont haf too meny trubles wit dem so ize dont fink dat
beutiful blak like my furs iz da problem. Ize kinda shy round men
hoomins, meowmie thinks dat one mite haf treeted me badly before my
onetruhome. Ize trust pawpaw now, but he had to gif me lotz of pit-r-pat
treets first. Ize not tellin.

Chappy