Do cats get zits??

Old November 1st 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Default Do cats get zits??

Last week I noticed that Smokey had what looked like a zit on his
chin. I pressed on it and a ball of white stuff (pus?) came out, then
a little blood.

Today I took a close look at it again and once again, the white dot
was back. Again, I pressed on it and got the white stuff out (smells
kind of funky too) but Smokey started to squirm before there was
blood. I'm not sure I got all the white stuff out this time.

It's in exactly the same place as before, too.

Do cats get zits like people do? Can I put peroxide or rubbing
alcohol on this thing the way I would for my own zit? I'm keeping an
eye on it, but at what point do I take him to the vet? He doesn't
seem to notice this zit--he's not rubbing at it, or scratching it or
changing his behaviour in any way.

--Fil
Old November 1st 09, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Nov 1, 10:41*am, Enfilade wrote:
Last week I noticed that Smokey had what looked like a zit on his
chin. *I pressed on it and a ball of white stuff (pus?) came out, then
a little blood.

Today I took a close look at it again and once again, the white dot
was back. *Again, I pressed on it and got the white stuff out (smells
kind of funky too) but Smokey started to squirm before there was
blood. *I'm not sure I got all the white stuff out this time.

It's in exactly the same place as before, too.

Do cats get zits like people do? *Can I put peroxide or rubbing
alcohol on this thing the way I would for my own zit? *I'm keeping an
eye on it, but at what point do I take him to the vet? *He doesn't
seem to notice this zit--he's not rubbing at it, or scratching it or
changing his behaviour in any way.

--Fil

My Pandora had kitty acne when we got her, but it wasn't like a zit,
it was more like blackheads. Went away, once she realized that she
was in her forever home, and relaxed.

I would recommend *against* rubbing alcohol. I've only ever used
peroxide on a deep sore, and only once to get it 'cleaned' out, then I
used saline solution to keep it clean. Keeping in mind that I'm not a
vet giggle.... I'd recommend peroxide only once, and be sure to
wipe it off pretty good, so that Smokey doesn't try to lick it off.
Then keeping it clean with saline solution.

If it doesn't clear up in a day or so, while keeping it clean, I'd
recommend taking Smokey to a vet.

Smokie Darling (Annie)
Old November 1st 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
~*LiveLoveLaugh*~[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message
Last week I noticed that Smokey had what looked like a zit on his
chin. I pressed on it and a ball of white stuff (pus?) came out, then
a little blood.

Today I took a close look at it again and once again, the white dot
was back. Again, I pressed on it and got the white stuff out (smells
kind of funky too) but Smokey started to squirm before there was
blood. I'm not sure I got all the white stuff out this time.

It's in exactly the same place as before, too.

Do cats get zits like people do? Can I put peroxide or rubbing
alcohol on this thing the way I would for my own zit? I'm keeping an
eye on it, but at what point do I take him to the vet? He doesn't
seem to notice this zit--he's not rubbing at it, or scratching it or
changing his behaviour in any way.

My blue point, Maui, gets them on his chin. More "blackheads" then zits
w/white stuff. I even changed the free feeding bowl of dry kibble to an
aluminum bowl vs. plastic, b/c I heard that the plastic bowls can be a cause
of cat acne. But, Maui still gets them even tho' the aluminum bowl is
cleaned every night (especially the rims where they 'rest' their chin while
feeding). It doesn't seem to bother him at all. I don't pick at them b/c
he says NO!!

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~*

All that I am or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
~Abraham Lincoln

--Fil

Old November 1st 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Thanks for the advice.

Our food bowls are a mix of aluminum, plastic, and glass. I'll try
getting rid of the plastic ones, and peroxide and salene, and see how
that goes.

--Fil
Old November 1st 09, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bobble" wrote in message
Enfilade wrote in news:c9a59e0b-442b-421a-
:

Last week I noticed that Smokey had what looked like a zit on his
chin. I pressed on it and a ball of white stuff (pus?) came out, then
a little blood.

Today I took a close look at it again and once again, the white dot
was back. Again, I pressed on it and got the white stuff out (smells
kind of funky too) but Smokey started to squirm before there was
blood. I'm not sure I got all the white stuff out this time.

It's in exactly the same place as before, too.

Do cats get zits like people do? Can I put peroxide or rubbing
alcohol on this thing the way I would for my own zit? I'm keeping an
eye on it, but at what point do I take him to the vet? He doesn't
seem to notice this zit--he's not rubbing at it, or scratching it or
changing his behaviour in any way.

--Fil

When mine had chin acne, I was told not to use plastic food dishes, only
glass. That solved the problem forever.
Bobble

Yep, glass, ceramic or metal dishes only. Plastic bowls can lead to chin
acne which can become infected and appear to be "zits". I wouldn't use
alcohol on them. I think the vet prescribes a mild washing and some sort of
cream.

Jill

Old November 1st 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

Cats get acne on their chins all the time. Sometimes its only one
or two zits.

Usually its from their food bowls.

(You really missed all the discussions on this here over the years?)

No plastic bowls for food or water. They seem to either cause or
aggravate the condition. Once the acne starts it can take some time
to clear up. Molly arrived with a pretty bad case of scabby chin
that we cleared up with a very soft toothbrush and Neosporin lotion.

Have lots of bandages on hand (for you) if you try to put alcohol or
peroxide on your cats chin. I don't think either one is safe for
cats anyway.

Jake drools a lot when he eats or drinks so we make sure he and
Molly have clean bowls and glasses several times a day. I still am
amazed at how dirty a saucer of dry cat food can get when he's been
at it all day.

Jo

Old November 1st 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Nov 1, 11:41*am, Enfilade wrote:
Last week I noticed that Smokey had what looked like a zit on his
chin. *I pressed on it and a ball of white stuff (pus?) came out, then
a little blood.

Today I took a close look at it again and once again, the white dot
was back. *Again, I pressed on it and got the white stuff out (smells
kind of funky too) but Smokey started to squirm before there was
blood. *I'm not sure I got all the white stuff out this time.

It's in exactly the same place as before, too.

Do cats get zits like people do? *Can I put peroxide or rubbing
alcohol on this thing the way I would for my own zit? *I'm keeping an
eye on it, but at what point do I take him to the vet? *He doesn't
seem to notice this zit--he's not rubbing at it, or scratching it or
changing his behaviour in any way.

--Fil

We've been the round with acne with Bosley. The vet told me plastic
dishes usually don't have anything to do with it -- except that
plastic
is more porous and can harbour bacteria and aggravate it. Bosley
never ate out of a plastic dish, or a dirty one, in his life.
He thought Bosley's was just caused by overactive sebaceous glands.
I let it go too long, because he is so fractious to treat, and he
ended
up with a nasty secondary bacterial infection. He had to have his
whole chin debrided (had to leave him at the vet's for that), and oral
antibiotics.

You might watch it and try to keep it clean. A funky smell sometimes
signals infection, so I wonder if he does have a bacterial infection,
or
a yeast infection instead of regular acne. Common chin acne starts
out in most looking like blackheads.
Good luck! Hope it goes away on its own.

Sherry
Old November 2nd 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

(You really missed all the discussions on this here over the years?)

I admit, I don't read every thread--I don't get them in my email, it's
more that when I'm home, have time, have internet, and have a civil
state of mind, I come on and read a few threads. I don't really rant
much here, so most folks may not realize when I'm caught up in RL
issues. Things are pretty good now--really good actually--and I hope
to be around a lot more regularly.

So, yes, I don't remember any discussions about acne or zits. All I
remember was discussions of things like jaw cancer, which is why this
zit kind of had me buggin'.

We wash the dishes every day, but we feed twice a day. I'm going to
try to wash them more too (which is going to be a challenge as we only
wash our OWN dishes once a day.)

I'm actually glad this is Smokey, since he doesn't give two craps
about having his chin prodded (just like he also doesn't give a crap
about baths, pills, claw clipping, or needles). I can only imagine
the good times I'd have if it were Nocturne.

--Fil
Old November 2nd 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Enfilade wrote:
I admit, I don't read every thread--I don't get them in my email, it's
more that when I'm home, have time, have internet, and have a civil
state of mind, I come on and read a few threads. I don't really rant
much here, so most folks may not realize when I'm caught up in RL
issues. Things are pretty good now--really good actually--and I hope
to be around a lot more regularly.

So, yes, I don't remember any discussions about acne or zits. All I
remember was discussions of things like jaw cancer, which is why this
zit kind of had me buggin'.

And I'm glad you're around. I've had both a cat with jaw cancer
and a cat with kitty acne, and they're very different, so you don't
need to worry about Smokey Poke leaving you for RB anytime soon.

When Betty had jaw cancer, that was eating up her jaw from the inside
of the mouth, where it originated. When Dot came to me, she had kitty
acne, but just her using my usual ceramic food bowls for a while as
opposed to whatever she was using before she came to me made it go
away after a while. The vet said that she could give her a shot for
it, but we never did, and it just went away.

Kitty zits Bobcat Cat anecdotes 16 October 7th 08 04:44 AM
rec.pets.cats: Maine Coon Cats Breed-FAQ Valerie Johnston Cat Information 0 April 24th 06 05:25 AM
rec.pets.cats: Maine Coon Cats Breed-FAQ Valerie Johnston Cat Information 0 January 23rd 06 05:47 AM
rec.pets.cats: Maine Coon Cats Breed-FAQ Valerie Johnston Cat Information 0 July 26th 05 05:33 AM
Bengal Cats:are they hybrids or are they true domestic cats? Hemmaholic Cats - misc 1 February 26th 05 07:02 PM