Black cats on Halloween

Old October 31st 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat[_2_]

Default Black cats on Halloween

This is an often-posted reminder, but it's worth repeating. Tonight is
Halloween (except for Australia etc. where it's over). Many websites
warn about letting black cats outdoors on Halloween. There are a lot
of sickos who'd harm, even kill black cats on this night. If you have
a black cat, consider keeping him/her indoors until Halloween's over.
Fortunately our little black Sophie is safe because she's a permanent
indoor cat.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ckcatmonth.htm
Old October 31st 09, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Netmask[_2_]

Bobcat wrote:
This is an often-posted reminder, but it's worth repeating. Tonight is
Halloween (except for Australia etc. where it's over). Many websites
warn about letting black cats outdoors on Halloween. There are a lot
of sickos who'd harm, even kill black cats on this night. If you have
a black cat, consider keeping him/her indoors until Halloween's over.
Fortunately our little black Sophie is safe because she's a permanent
indoor cat.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ckcatmonth.htm

Halloween has never been a big deal in Australia and until the mid
1980's was completely ignored other than religious folk who went to
church.(a small minority) Basically the American tradition has slowly
been copied and encouraged by the big stores to sell stuff before the
next big consumption orgy at Xmas.
Old October 31st 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baird Stafford

In article ,
Netmask wrote:

Bobcat wrote:
This is an often-posted reminder, but it's worth repeating. Tonight is
Halloween (except for Australia etc. where it's over). Many websites
warn about letting black cats outdoors on Halloween. There are a lot
of sickos who'd harm, even kill black cats on this night. If you have
a black cat, consider keeping him/her indoors until Halloween's over.
Fortunately our little black Sophie is safe because she's a permanent
indoor cat.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ckcatmonth.htm

Halloween has never been a big deal in Australia and until the mid
1980's was completely ignored other than religious folk who went to
church.(a small minority) Basically the American tradition has slowly
been copied and encouraged by the big stores to sell stuff before the
next big consumption orgy at Xmas.

Same thing happened in the UK, as I understand it - about the time
Wal-Mart started its international expansion. I am not, however, going
to speculate on a cause-and-effect relationship.

Baird

--
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice
there is. -Yogi Berra
Old November 1st 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Baird Stafford" wrote in message
In article ,
Netmask wrote:

Bobcat wrote:
[...]

IIRC what we now call "Halloween" originated in Scotland centuries ago

Jill

Old November 1st 09, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Bobcat" wrote in message
This is an often-posted reminder, but it's worth repeating. Tonight is
Halloween (except for Australia etc. where it's over). Many websites
warn about letting black cats outdoors on Halloween. There are a lot
of sickos who'd harm, even kill black cats on this night. If you have
a black cat, consider keeping him/her indoors until Halloween's over.
Fortunately our little black Sophie is safe because she's a permanent
indoor cat.

http://cats.about.com/cs/catmanageme...ckcatmonth.htm

John kept Raisin (an indoor/outdoor kitty) inside last night. He knows his
neighbors wouldn't hurt her but there are some teenagers in town who have
been in some pretty serious trouble if you can believe the scuttlebutt. Not
to mention there were lots of tourists in town with their families. Better
safe than sorry.

Jill

Old November 3rd 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ChildFree23[_2_]

This is an often-posted reminder, but it's worth repeating.
Tonight is
Halloween (except for Australia etc. where it's over). Many
websites
warn about letting black cats outdoors on Halloween. There are
a lot
of sickos who'd harm, even kill black cats on this night. If
you have
a black cat, consider keeping him/her indoors until Halloween's
over.
Fortunately our little black Sophie is safe because she's a
permanent
indoor cat.

Boy, does this bring back memories!

Our first Halloween in Florida, my mom and I put up decorations
in every window. We were the most popular apartment in the
building. Trick-or-treaters were coming both to our front door,
and the patio door. Why the patio door? We had a live exhibit,
a very friendly black cat who had adopted us several weeks ago
whom we named Capt. Midnight.

After a while, when the neighborhood started to change, Middie
began spending his Halloweens inside.

Sadly, or maybe not so, both Capt. Midnight and my mom are both
together at The Bridge now, but that was probably the best
Halloween I ever had.

Debby Hanoka
aka ChildFree23