Standard treatment for eye infections?

Old April 30th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Standard treatment for eye infections?

Originally posted this to the fish group by accident, so perhaps Victor has
already seen it.

What's the standard drug (drops) given for eye infections. Cali went to the
vet for an eye infection and lethargy and $120 later ended up with some
antibiotic ointment because they were out of the right drops. Excuse me,
$120 and you don't have the right ****ing drops. It's bad enough putting
drops in a cat's eye, but cream is a real treat. The cream is
chloramphenicol. Her lethargy seems better, but the eye still looks rather
pink. The problem is that most of the cream ends up in her eyelashes, which
she rubs off. They suspect it might be a recurring Herpes virus.

I checked online and I don't see this stuff in drops, but I do see
Gentimycin/Gentamicin in drops. Either way, drops or cream they're less than
five bucks.

Old April 30th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-29 21:49:29 -0500, "Bill Stock" said:

Originally posted this to the fish group by accident, so perhaps Victor
has already seen it.

What's the standard drug (drops) given for eye infections. Cali went to the
vet for an eye infection and lethargy and $120 later ended up with some
antibiotic ointment because they were out of the right drops. Excuse me,
$120 and you don't have the right ****ing drops. It's bad enough putting
drops in a cat's eye, but cream is a real treat. The cream is
chloramphenicol. Her lethargy seems better, but the eye still looks rather
pink. The problem is that most of the cream ends up in her eyelashes, which
she rubs off. They suspect it might be a recurring Herpes virus.

I checked online and I don't see this stuff in drops, but I do see
Gentimycin/Gentamicin in drops. Either way, drops or cream they're less than
five bucks.

Wow. I don't think any eye infection cream I've ever seen cost that
much. I will say that when our cats have had to get something put in
their eyes for an infection it was never drops but a gel. Yeah, "lay a
thin line" across the eye. We were happy to get a dollp in. Not fun.
However, the last time was many years ago so there may be new
medication and maybe it is that expensive but it seems outrageous.

Old April 30th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-29 21:49:29 -0500, "Bill Stock" said:

[...]

Sounds like the same stuff. The cream itself was something like $25 bucks,
the rest was services. Fortunately Cali is fairly bright, so she doesn't
fight too much. Although she certainly doesn't like it. I can't imagine
trying this with Smokey or Cleo, I'd be the one needing medication.

Old April 30th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

http://www.lambriarvet.com/

I've had great results with Lambriar. Friendly people.

http://lambriarvet.com/Antibiotics-Broad-Spectrum.php

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...e&q=Gentamicin

Froogle found the stuff, also.

Do you find the stuff here? Good luck, hope you and kitty are feeling
better, and soon.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Old April 30th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:49:29 -0400, "Bill Stock"
wrote:

Originally posted this to the fish group by accident, so perhaps Victor has
already seen it.

What's the standard drug (drops) given for eye infections. Cali went to the
vet for an eye infection and lethargy and $120 later ended up with some
antibiotic ointment because they were out of the right drops. Excuse me,
$120 and you don't have the right ****ing drops. It's bad enough putting
drops in a cat's eye, but cream is a real treat. The cream is
chloramphenicol. Her lethargy seems better, but the eye still looks rather
pink. The problem is that most of the cream ends up in her eyelashes, which
she rubs off. They suspect it might be a recurring Herpes virus.

I checked online and I don't see this stuff in drops, but I do see
Gentimycin/Gentamicin in drops. Either way, drops or cream they're less than
five bucks.

Chloramphenicol is a *very* nasty antibiotic: known to be carcinogenic.
It should only be used when other antibiotics fail, and an infection is
very serious.

You need a new vet, is my recommendation.
Old April 30th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
Originally posted this to the fish group by accident, so perhaps
Victor has already seen it.

What's the standard drug (drops) given for eye infections. Cali went
to the
vet for an eye infection and lethargy and $120 later ended up with
some
antibiotic ointment because they were out of the right drops. Excuse
me,
$120 and you don't have the right ****ing drops. It's bad enough
putting
drops in a cat's eye, but cream is a real treat. The cream is
chloramphenicol. Her lethargy seems better, but the eye still looks
rather
pink. The problem is that most of the cream ends up in her
eyelashes, which
she rubs off. They suspect it might be a recurring Herpes virus.

My vet usually prescribes Fucithalmic drops.

FWIW, when I had my eye op last year I was given Chloramphenicol drops
as a preventative.....they didn't work and according to my GP over 50%
of the bacteria that cause eye infections are resistant to
Chloramphenicol.....I was given Fucithalmic drops and the infection
cleared up asap.

--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk

Old May 1st 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Shirley" wrote in message

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Shirley, that was very helpful. The Chloramphenicol gel isn't doing
squat for Cali either.

Old May 1st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

You could try bathing the infected eye with saline solution as well, I
was told to do this by my vet (for the cats) and by my GP (for me).

Purrs for Cali to get better soon.

Old May 2nd 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I had tetramycin drops from our vet for eyes. He also told me to use
saline solution. Simple wiping off the extra "crud" with a towel dipped
in saline helped ours get over recurring eye infections.
Cantate