Help! (OT) from the Windows folks!

Old April 2nd 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Help! (OT) from the Windows folks!

I've checked "help" under Control Panel. Someone here pointed me in the
right direction but I didn't understand it before. As of some time
yesterday I lost all sound on my XP (home edition) PC. I've checked all the
connections, everything looks fine. I didn't change anything that I am
aware of. I've done a cold reboot. I never thought I'd miss those annoying
beeps and such but this is just too weird. I feel like I'm back to using an
8086 with DOS and no sound card. Maybe setting the system restore point
back to two days ago would help? Couldn't hurt! Problem is I can't find
where to set the date back. (sigh) I'm not a Windows person. Any help?

Jill

Old April 2nd 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

jmcquown kirjoitti:
I've checked "help" under Control Panel. Someone here pointed me in the
right direction but I didn't understand it before. As of some time
yesterday I lost all sound on my XP (home edition) PC. I've checked all the
connections, everything looks fine. I didn't change anything that I am
aware of. I've done a cold reboot. I never thought I'd miss those annoying
beeps and such but this is just too weird. I feel like I'm back to using an
8086 with DOS and no sound card. Maybe setting the system restore point
back to two days ago would help? Couldn't hurt! Problem is I can't find
where to set the date back. (sigh) I'm not a Windows person. Any help?

Jill

I've some times had problems with the sound and XP, especially if there
had been some updating done recently. At those times I've got my sound
back by going to (dang! what are they called in English, my XP's in
Finnish...trying a direct translation here Control Panel - System -
Equipment (or Hardware, anyway the tab next to name of computer) - and
Equipment/Hardware Control. You get a list of all cd/dvd-drives, mouses,
hard drives, ports and *Sound, Video and Game Drivers*!!! Look up your
sound card here, right click on the mouse and choose Properties from the
little pop-up menu, select the tab "Driver" and click on Previous Driver
to get the one you had previously, and which apparently worked.

I hope you can make some sense out of that... it is hard to know what
the tabs and buttons are called in the English version...

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 2nd 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

jmcquown wrote:
I've checked "help" under Control Panel. Someone here pointed me in
the right direction but I didn't understand it before. As of some
time yesterday I lost all sound on my XP (home edition) PC. I've
checked all the connections, everything looks fine. I didn't change
anything that I am aware of. I've done a cold reboot. I never
thought I'd miss those annoying beeps and such but this is just too
weird. I feel like I'm back to using an 8086 with DOS and no sound
card. Maybe setting the system restore point back to two days ago
would help? Couldn't hurt! Problem is I can't find where to set the
date back. (sigh) I'm not a Windows person. Any help?

Jill

Go to the control panal, find sound and audio devices and click the box to
place the volume control on the task bar. It's likely that somehow the sound
has been muted.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 2nd 07, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Adrian A wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
I've checked "help" under Control Panel. Someone here pointed me in
the right direction but I didn't understand it before. As of some
time yesterday I lost all sound on my XP (home edition) PC. I've
checked all the connections, everything looks fine. I didn't change
anything that I am aware of. I've done a cold reboot. I never
thought I'd miss those annoying beeps and such but this is just too
weird. I feel like I'm back to using an 8086 with DOS and no sound
card. Maybe setting the system restore point back to two days ago
would help? Couldn't hurt! Problem is I can't find where to set the
date back. (sigh) I'm not a Windows person. Any help?

Jill

Go to the control panal, find sound and audio devices and click the
box to place the volume control on the task bar. It's likely that
somehow the sound has been muted.

I checked that. Nothing is selected as muted. (sigh)

Jill

Old April 2nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Randy

"jmcquown" wrote:
I've checked "help" under Control Panel. Someone here pointed me in the
right direction but I didn't understand it before. As of some time
yesterday I lost all sound on my XP (home edition) PC. I've checked all the
connections, everything looks fine. I didn't change anything that I am
aware of. I've done a cold reboot. I never thought I'd miss those annoying
beeps and such but this is just too weird. I feel like I'm back to using an
8086 with DOS and no sound card. Maybe setting the system restore point
back to two days ago would help? Couldn't hurt! Problem is I can't find
where to set the date back. (sigh) I'm not a Windows person. Any help?

Jill

Go to Programs-Accessories-System Tools. You will find system restore there.

Randy

http://picasaweb.google.com/crmartin1

http://kittenwar.com/kittens/74045/

Old April 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Randy wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote:
[...]

Thank you!! That worked! I have no idea what I inadvertently did but
setting it back the day before fixed the problem. As I said, it was rather
disconcerting to not hear even the annoying beeps anymore. I felt like I
was living back in the 1980's before sound cards were prevalent and I was on
an old DOS machine LOL Thank you! I'll make a note of how to get there in
case I need the info in the future.

Jill

Old April 2nd 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Have you check to see if the speakers are muted? I think it's under
Sound/Volume Control/Advanced (or Properties).

Old April 2nd 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Pat wrote:
Have you check to see if the speakers are muted? I think it's under
Sound/Volume Control/Advanced (or Properties).

The resetting of the system restore point to two days back fixed it. I had
checked everything else under the sun that had to do with sound. I still
don't know what caused the problem but it's gone now.

hi folks i own several dogs johnhodgeman1 Cat health & behaviour 1 January 21st 07 12:26 AM
Hello folks ;o).... Helen Miles Cat anecdotes 11 November 2nd 05 04:12 AM
but seriously folks! whitershadeofpale Cat health & behaviour 6 October 28th 05 02:55 PM
Aloha Folks! Kilikini Cat anecdotes 93 January 26th 05 03:36 PM
But seriously, folks... jmcquown Cat anecdotes 36 July 4th 04 05:57 AM