Long-term Consequences of Starvation

Old July 21st 09, 11:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

Default Long-term Consequences of Starvation

"cybercat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to
adopt may be her death sentence.

Do you really think someone this coldhearted could ever provide a good
home for a cat? I sure don't. Let's just hope someone better than this
asshole finds her and adopts her.

Well, I have to admit that was my first thought. It hurts me every time I
hear of a cat (or dog) that is left lingering in a shelter as people bypass
them for a "more perfect" companion. But it's true that "any home" is not
necessarily better.

MaryL

Old July 21st 09, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"cybercat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to
adopt may be her death sentence.

Do you really think someone this coldhearted could ever provide a good
home for a cat? I sure don't. Let's just hope someone better than this
asshole finds her and adopts her.

Well, I have to admit that was my first thought. It hurts me every time I
hear of a cat (or dog) that is left lingering in a shelter as people
bypass them for a "more perfect" companion. But it's true that "any home"
is not necessarily better.

You know me. If I had not already gotten into trouble doing stuff like this
before, I'd be trying to find out where the cat is.

Old July 22nd 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Jul 21, 1:54 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to adopt
may be her death sentence.

Do you really think someone this coldhearted could ever provide a good home
for a cat? I sure don't. Let's just hope someone better than this asshole
finds her and adopts her.

Cybercat, I was stunned by your attacks on me and my character. Your
hostility was uncalled for.

If I were the coldhearted A-hole you say I am, I would have passed the
poor kitty up and never given her a second thought, and I certainly
wouldn't have posted about her here.

I am working on the situation day to day, and right now the only thing
I can do is visit her and talk to others about her. As I said before,
my partner is out of town/state, and the shelter's policy is that all
household members have to come to the shelter to interact with the cat
before the adoption can take place. I'm not allowed to take the cat
home now! I also mentioned my elderly dad's health issue. He lives
out of state, and his recent breathing issues and health decline lead
me to believe I might need to take a trip there soon. If I leave town
for a week or more after I bring her home, that's not going to be good
for the cat, and I don't want to subject her to that. I personally
don't feel I should have to elaborate on these personal matters to
you. I hope this clears up why I can't have kitty right now and may
never be able to have her.

FirstHit
Old July 22nd 09, 10:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Jul 21, 3:15 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
"cybercat" wrote in message

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
to love and help her. For now, I will be visiting her often to check
up on her and get to know her better.

FirstHit

Please reconsider. Leaving her in the shelter for "someone else" to
adopt may be her death sentence.

Do you really think someone this coldhearted could ever provide a good
home for a cat? I sure don't. Let's just hope someone better than this
asshole finds her and adopts her.

Well, I have to admit that was my first thought. It hurts me every time I
hear of a cat (or dog) that is left lingering in a shelter as people bypass
them for a "more perfect" companion. But it's true that "any home" is not
necessarily better.

MaryL, I'm sad to see that you've had unflattering thoughts of me. Do
you think I'm bypassing the undernourished kitty for a "more perfect"
companion? I thought I kind of indicated in my second post that I had
connected with a few other kitties but my nurturing nature had drawn
me to the skinny girl over the others. Maybe that wasn't perfectly
clear, but otherwise I wouldn't have made my original post.

FirstHit
Old July 24th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:
"cybercat" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that was my reaction to your original post, but I was disturbed by your
others adopting, etc. A cat that has problems usually never gets adopted
and many (perhaps most) are euthanized. "Visiting" simply does not overcome
those problems. My Duffy is an example of cats that remain in the shelter
for months--a perfectly wonderful little cat but bypassed for several months
because he is blind. Actually, he was fortunate because the people in that
shelter clearly wanted to find a home for him, so they kept him far longer
than usual. And then I became the lucky person who got to adopt him. I
*hope* I overreacted, and in that case, I will apologize. That is, I hope
you will not decide to move on to "healthier" cats and leave the emaciated
cat behind.

MaryL

Old July 24th 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cyberpurrs

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote
MaryL, I'm sad to see that you've had unflattering thoughts of me. Do
you think I'm bypassing the undernourished kitty for a "more perfect"
companion? I thought I kind of indicated in my second post that I had
connected with a few other kitties but my nurturing nature had drawn
me to the skinny girl over the others. Maybe that wasn't perfectly
clear, but otherwise I wouldn't have made my original post.

FirstHit

Yes, that was my reaction to your original post, but I was disturbed by
your next post when you began to talk only about visiting and the
possibility of others adopting, etc. A cat that has problems usually
never gets adopted and many (perhaps most) are euthanized. "Visiting"
simply does not overcome those problems. My Duffy is an example of cats
that remain in the shelter for months--a perfectly wonderful little cat
but bypassed for several months because he is blind. Actually, he was
fortunate because the people in that shelter clearly wanted to find a home
for him, so they kept him far longer than usual. And then I became the
lucky person who got to adopt him. I *hope* I overreacted, and in that
case, I will apologize. That is, I hope you will not decide to move on to
"healthier" cats and leave the emaciated cat behind.

He has already made this decision.

Old July 26th 09, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
FirstHit

On Jul 23, 6:01 pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:

[...]

MaryL,

I looked at Duffy's pictures, and he looks great! I am glad that you
and Duffy found each other and are making each other happy!

I did talk about others adopting, but I know others might not take
her. She is definitely more on my radar screen than the "perfect"
kitties I connected with. I'm not taking the attitude that I don't
need to be concerned about her because others will worry about her.

I agree that visiting is no substitute for taking a kitty home. But
at the moment, visiting and voicing concerns to the people at the
shelter is the best I can do. My visits with her last about 45
minutes. Friday I learned that she has other visitors, and between
the lot of us I think it does do her some good emotionally because she
has company and must see that she is valued.

You may be wondering why I have been looking in the shelters at a time
when there are obstacles to bringing a new cat home. Near the end of
May, I had to make the decision to put my cat to sleep. She had
kidney disease and was my angel for 16.5 years. Her death has been a
real blow to me. By the beginning of July, I started wanting to open
my heart to another cat. I began looking in the shelters to get an
idea of what the cats there were like and also just to get some feline
love. Soon I connected with a couple of healthy cats and then met the
skinny kitty.

The shelter is giving her some special attention to fatten her up. (I
know this is not like being in a home.) I have seen some progress in
her mood and playfulness, but I can't tell with my eye if she's
gaining weight. They have no intention of euthanizing her and haven't
euthanized a cat in a long time.

FirstHit
Old July 26th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

wrote:

MaryL, I'm sad to see that you've had unflattering thoughts of me. Do
you think I'm bypassing the undernourished kitty for a "more perfect"
companion? I thought I kind of indicated in my second post that I had
connected with a few other kitties but my nurturing nature had drawn
me to the skinny girl over the others. Maybe that wasn't perfectly
clear, but otherwise I wouldn't have made my original post.

FirstHit

Yes, that was my reaction to your original post, but I was disturbed by
your
of
[...]

But: This kitty really needs a home. A home with loving, caring people.
There simply is no substitute for that. When will your partner be home so
the two of you can make a decision? I was sorry to read about your father's
health problems, but your partner should be able to take care of kitty if
you have to make a trip out of town. Adoption might be something good for
all of you--you, your partner, and kitty.

MaryL