Children to be banned from buying pets

Old July 14th 04, 06:13 PM
Victor Martinez

Default Children to be banned from buying pets

Kudos for the British government!!!

Children to be banned from buying pets

Matthew Tempest and agencies
Wednesday July 14, 2004

Children will be banned from buying pets in a radical shake-up of
domestic animal law amid proposals being unveiled by the government today.

And the tradition of handing out goldfish as prizes at fairs will also
be banned, if the bill becomes law unchanged.

Ministers believe children under 16 are not mature enough to be
responsible for the duty of care needed to protect their pets.

Under proposals in the new animal welfare bill, which was being
presented to parliament today, adults will have to buy any new additions
to the family home.

Other plans in the bill include tougher penalties for animal offences,
such as cruelty, and a tightening of regulations governing places where
animals are "captive bred", such as zoos.

Officials say message at the heart of the bill is the principle that
keeping an animal is a privilege, not a right.

Campaign groups today welcomed moves to shore up legislation, but warned
that the bill, from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural
Affairs, did not go far enough.

The Liberal Democrat environment spokesman Norman Baker warned the bill
could be a "lame duck".

Animal Aid said it feared that early suggestions of powers to remove
vulnerable pets from homes before they are harmed have not made the bill.

A spokesman said: "Latest media reports suggest that this duty of care
provision, which is supported by the RSPCA, has now been ruled out. This
would be a seriously retrograde step."

The bill was being presented to parliament by animal health and welfare
minister Ben Bradshaw this morning.

A government source said: "We are putting duty of care at the heart of
the bill.

"The main thrust is to bring all animal welfare legislation since the
Protection of Animals Act 1911 into the 21st century."

The proposals, if approved, will bring all animals under the same
standards that farm animals have to be kept.

The planned ban on children buying pets comes amid fears youngsters do
not truly appreciate the commitment needed in raising animals, can
become bored or simply do not realise how large they can grow.

The Animal Aid spokesman said the bill "is likely to play a useful role
in consolidating and updating existing laws relating to the protection
of animals".

But he also raised a number of concerns including fears that one-day
fairs, where exotic animals are often sold, may be made legal.

"Reptiles and birds are especially unsuited to a life in captivity," he
said.

"On the basis of evidence gathered from bird and reptile markets, there
is overwhelming scientific and veterinary opinion relating both to
insurmountable animal welfare problems, and also potential public health
hazards."

The group also wants the group to provide some legal protection for the
20-30 million pheasants bred annually.

It also wants better protection for horses bred for commercial racing
and has called for passport system to be introduced which could log
identification details, injuries, veterinary treatments, races run and
transfer-of-owner details.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 14th 04, 07:08 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:13:14 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

Officials say message at the heart of the bill is the principle that
keeping an animal is a privilege, not a right.

Excellent. Does this go for adoption, too?

Theresa

Old July 14th 04, 08:11 PM
Jeanette

Kreisleriana wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 17:13:14 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

Officials say message at the heart of the bill is the principle that
keeping an animal is a privilege, not a right.

Excellent. Does this go for adoption, too?

I can't speak for any other group, but we won't adopt a cat out to anyone
under 18.

Jeanette

Old July 15th 04, 02:50 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

I can't speak for any other group, but we won't adopt a cat out to anyone
under 18.

Jeanette

I know that where I got Marble will not adopt to the under-18s. It has to be
done by an adult, even if it is a pet for the child of that adult, if you see
what I mean. Plus, there's the home inspection prior to adoption anyway.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $