5 y.o. female getting along with 5 m.o. female - complications?

Old September 14th 03, 10:33 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article ,
at wrote on 9/14/03 3:28 PM:

Story of years of unnecessary cat mutilations and current plans to
possibly mutilate another innocent kitten snipped

If you can't live with a cat with claws, take the kitten back and only
adopt already declawed cats. There's plenty of them available.
Mutilating current or future cats for your own convenience has to stop.
This idea that the kitten will somehow maim the older cat simply because
it has claws is ridiculous. There are many of us here that have had
declawed and clawed cats live together for their whole lives wihout the
declawed cats suffering claw related injuries. I think your wife needs
to either stop being so ignorant or seriously rethink her choice of pets
if she can't learn to live with them without mutilating them and causing
them painful trauma and an irreversible handicap. Anyone that knows what
declawing is and still chooses to do it is heartless and should not be
trusted with cats. That includes your vet.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

The vet seems particularly suspicious to me. I've never known even vets that
declaw to four paw declaw. I can just hardly believe this vet does it
routinely. I would certainly find a different vet!

Karen

Old September 14th 03, 11:47 PM
MaryL

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message
in article ,

The vet seems particularly suspicious to me. I've never known even vets

that
declaw to four paw declaw. I can just hardly believe this vet does it
routinely. I would certainly find a different vet!

Karen

I agree. This part of the message seemed particularly suspicious to me. I
am not trying to start a flame war, but I would like to reinforce Karen's
statement that even vets who declaw will seldom consent to four-paw declaw.
My vet told me that he has only declawed all four paws once in his long
career, and that was because the woman said she was going to euthanize the
cat if he did not consent. I hope you will look for another vet. This vet
may have some fine skills, but he is lacking in compassion and the quality
of caring that should be an essential part of the relationship.

As to whether clawed and declawed cats can get along -- yes, they certainly
can. Your cats will generally engage in play, which sometimes will seem
aggressive to you. Even if it is vigorous play, it would be extremely rare
for one cat to literally "scratch" the other. Both of my cats have very
healthy (and very sharp!) claws. Neither has ever caused any damage to the
other, and one of them is blind.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly (pictorial history of my blind cat Duffy's
integration into our household):
Duffy, Part I: The Introduction --
http://tinyurl.com/8y54
Duffy, Part II: Life at Home -- http://tinyurl.com/8y56

Old September 15th 03, 01:10 AM
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

MaryL wrote:

[...]

Personally, I've suspected that he doesn't quite have enough of the
compassion/caring that he should for a while, but as long as he's
technically capable, we really don't want to go through the enormous
challenge of locating a vet that's the "right" one, especially since we're
planning to move out of the area as soon as we can.

As to whether clawed and declawed cats can get along -- yes, they certainly
can. Your cats will generally engage in play, which sometimes will seem
aggressive to you. Even if it is vigorous play, it would be extremely rare
for one cat to literally "scratch" the other. Both of my cats have very
healthy (and very sharp!) claws. Neither has ever caused any damage to the
other, and one of them is blind.

MaryL

Thanks for your post.

brian
--
If you want to reply to this message by mail, you will
have to change the reply address to

Old September 15th 03, 01:13 AM
Brian or Sharon Beuchaw

Karen Chuplis wrote:

Personally I think you just need to do a slow introduction. Clawed and
declawed cats can do fine together. I'm glad you've seen the light about
declawing.

We did the slow introduction when we got the kitten (it took about a week
to introduce the new kitten to Golddust, as opposed to a couple of days
with the earlier introductions of new kittens to Pepper), and they've been
together for about a month now, so are you suggesting we separate and
re-introduce them?

Thanks for your post...

brian