[OT] Splenda?

Old May 19th 05, 09:24 PM
Hopitus

From what I understand, none of the non-sugar sweeteners are any "good for
us" but as I have diabetes type 2 it's not smart to use sugar. I use Equal
but there are plenty of bad things about that, too.
Why don't you try slacking off some on the *amount* of
Splenda used in your coffee/whatever? I don't think the
reactions you're having have anything whatsoever to do w/coffee beans!
I remain less than scared-into-oblivion re animal tests on
food we consume....example: *all* adult hoomins have
"shrunken thymuses" (this organ is only large in infants) and hopefully we,
as adults, have nothing to fear re "growth reduction" as we are "finished"
hoomins. There was an artificial sweetener in the '60's or so that was very
good-tasting, and didn't leave an aftertaste (early problem for all
concocted sweeteners)....gov't took it off the market after animal tests -
force-feeding what would be equivalent of US drinking *gallons* of soft
drinks w/this ingredient in it *daily*! - to animals caused cancer in same
animals. No common sense. Don't remember its name....and it was
*not*saccharine (sp?)....

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in

Dumb question. Why do you drink coffee if you don't like it? The caffeine?
Have you tried green tea? It's got caffeine and it's good for you!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 19th 05, 09:30 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-19, CatNipped penned:

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration"
lately, and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee
with it and since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7
packets of Splenda in each cup. Well, OK, coffee is made from beans
and beans have been known to cause this problem, so am I just full
of hot air??? ;

Hrm. When I drink coffee with powdered creamer, my tummy gets upset and
I get my own excessive internal aeration. I can drink tons of coffee as
long as it's with regular cream or milk and sugar, but the powdered
creamer does me in.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 19th 05, 09:33 PM
Hopitus

Sadly, after my DIL showed me stevia I began using it
last summer..in a couple months it gave me the exact same reaction as
Splenda does (but w/worse ab cramps). So (grrrrr) I went back to Equal,
which I use as little as possible.

"Noon Cat Nick" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:

Has anyone here heard of anyone having problems with Splenda (Sucralose)?
I've been using it and I like the taste, but then decided to do a web
search
on "Splenda Dangers" and got more info than I'd bargained for. Of course
there's all kind of panic-making misinformation to be had on the web, so
some of it is sure to hit home when they start talking about the medical
problems it causes. I'm trying to find out from anyone who may have had
personal experience with it or knows someone who has. Anyone?

From http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html:

Splenda, also known as sucralose, is an artificial sweetener, which is a
chlorinated sucrose derivative. Facts about this artificial chemical are
as follows:

Pre-Approval Research
Pre-approval research showed that sucralose caused shrunken thymus
glands (up to 40% shrinkage) and enlarged liver and kidneys.

Recent Research
A possible problem with caecal enlargement and renal mineralization has
been seen in post approval animal research.

Sucralose Breaks Down
Despite the manufacturer's mis-statements, sucralose does break down
into small amounts of 1,6-dichlorofructose, a chemical which has not
been adequtely tested in humans. More importantly, sucralose must break
down in the digestive system. If it didn't break down and react at all
(as the manufacturer claims), it would not chemically-react on the
tongue to provide a sweet taste. The truth is that sucralose does break
down to some extent in the digestive system.

Independent, Long-Term Human Research
None. Manufacturer's "100's of studies" (some of which show hazards)
were clearly inadequate and do not demonstrate safety in long-term use.

Chlorinated Pesticides
The manufacturer claims that the chlorine added to sucralose is similar
to the chlorine atom in the salt (NaCl) molecule. That is not the case.
Sucralose may be more like ingesting tiny amounts of chlorinated
pesticides, but we will never know without long-term, independent human
research.

Conclusion
While it is unlikely that sucralose is as toxic as the poisoning people
are experiencing from Monsanto's aspartame, it is clear from the hazards
seen in pre-approval research and from its chemical structure that years
or decades of use may contribute to serious chronic immunological or
neurological disorders.

There are natural sweeteners that make excellent sugar substitutes. My
favorite is lo han fruit extract, sold as SlimSweet or other brand
names. Xylitol and stevia are also very good substitutes, and are less
expensive than SlimSweet. You can usually find them at your nearest
health food store, or you can order them off the WWW. See:

lo han (SlimSweet) - http://www.lifesvigor.com/prod/15579/
xylitol - http://www.xylitol.org/
stevia - http://www.healthy.net/nutrit/kitchen/foods/stevia.asp

Old May 19th 05, 10:01 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote:

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration" lately,
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in
each cup.

Coffee is not putting the wind in your *cough* sails. But why are you
drinking it if you do not like the taste? There are so many good teas.

Old May 19th 05, 10:11 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration"
lately,
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in
each cup.

Coffee is not putting the wind in your *cough* sails. But why are you
drinking it if you do not like the taste? There are so many good teas.

Mostly, like I told Victor, availability. There's *always* a pot of coffee
brewing at home and especially at work, but never the makings for tea. I'm
going to try and change that at the new office, though.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 19th 05, 10:17 PM
Denise VanDyke

CatNipped wrote:
"Mary" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote:

I've been having a problem with, um, "excessive internal aeration"
lately,
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda in
each cup.

Coffee is not putting the wind in your *cough* sails. But why are you
drinking it if you do not like the taste? There are so many good teas.

Mostly, like I told Victor, availability. There's *always* a pot of coffee
brewing at home and especially at work, but never the makings for tea. I'm
going to try and change that at the new office, though.

Hugs,

CatNipped

As one who also doesn't enjoy coffee, I have a couple of suggestions for
if you don't have luck with tea, you might try chocolate covered coffee
beans (gritty, but the chocolate mitigates the nasty coffee flavor), or
maybe even one of the caffiene pills (No-doze comes to mind). Then
there's also sodas, but if you don't want/can't have the sugar we're
back to the artificial sweeteners. Are they still selling that
caffinated water that I saw at the store last summer?

- Denise Brennasmeowmy

Old May 19th 05, 10:26 PM
spamtrap

Noon Cat Nick wrote:
From http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-sweeteners.html:

[...]

Well what she says may be true. But considering she is selling a book,
and does not provide any links or references
- other than perhaps in the book - makes her claims seem questionable.
Perhaps mean't to help sell her book? I would check into her
claims at other sites or with the FDA or other organizations before
accepting the above. Without knowing the details of the
pre-approval research it cannot be judged just on what she said.
Old May 19th 05, 11:19 PM
Yowie

"Hopitus" wrote in message
I can't touch the stuff w/a ten-foot-pole. I don't care what it's made out
of; eating any food sweetened w/Splenda gives me - within a few hours -
severe ab
cramps and glued to bathroom throne for duration of overnight hours.For
some reason, all the d***** "no
sugar added" ice cream (not the frozen yogurt, thank God) is laced w/it as
if it were the solution to world peace. You asked, I told.

Hey! Me too!

I can no longer chew gum here, it all contains artificial sweetner. I can't
eat many of the 'low fat' desserts (including yoghurt) because they too have
artificial sweetner. And throat lozenges, they all have artificial sweetner.
Pretty much anything "diet" has it, too.

Fo the longest time I thought I had IBS, but it was because I was drinking
300ml of diet Coke every lunch time, and by about 3pm I was in the middle of
the most gawdawful cramps and worse.

I still get the odd episode as I have other food allergies, but its rare,
and its not as long or half as intense as it was when I was still consuming
artificial sweetner.

Yowie

Old May 19th 05, 11:25 PM
Yowie

CatNipped wrote:
and I eat *lots* of Splenda because I drink *lots* of coffee with it and
since I hate the taste of coffee I put about 6 or 7 packets of Splenda
in

Dumb question. Why do you drink coffee if you don't like it? The
caffeine? Have you tried green tea? It's got caffeine and it's good for
you!

Yes, but not to "wake me up". I have ADHD and any stimulant I take
actually calms me down and makes me more "focused". There's also the
benefit of just drinking something hot that will keep me from being hungry
all the time (my metabolism is so out of whack that I feel hungry even
after eating!).

I haven't tried hot tea just because it's not as readily available
(there's always a pot of coffee going at the office). I'll have to get
some and see about getting a set-up going at the new office (we're moving
to our new "Executive Suite" in about 4 weeks - at least that will help
*one* aspect of my lousy job, I won't be working in a depot at the Port of
Houston and being run off the road by 18 wheelers at least twice a week).

I'd suggest teas (many are flavoured with fruit essences and don't need
extra sweetner) and also those 'energy' drinks or things with guruana.
Sudafed may also help :-)

A Chinese herbalist may be able to help you as well.

Yowie