Kitty likes to jump on the counter

Old August 7th 03, 05:03 AM

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter. I have a cat who
dose things on purpose to get my attention when he wwants to be fed (and
sometimes even when not cause he also enjoys doing them, but he does them
more when he wants food). He will continue doing them, and hasn't
stopped.. But he has learned that when I yell no he better run away for
the moment or he will get thrown away from the object I don't want him
bothering. So all i have to do now is a quick sudden no and he stops (for
the moment anyways). You may never teach her to stay off the counters or
even nto not try again later, but you can teach her to temporarily listen
to you when you say no. Just gotta be consistant.

Alice (who has just discovered her cat has managed to eat a piece of
dental floss, one of his little behaviors he likes to do and most people
on this group can tell you why that is a bad thing)

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:03 AM

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter. I have a cat who
dose things on purpose to get my attention when he wwants to be fed (and
sometimes even when not cause he also enjoys doing them, but he does them
more when he wants food). He will continue doing them, and hasn't
stopped.. But he has learned that when I yell no he better run away for
the moment or he will get thrown away from the object I don't want him
bothering. So all i have to do now is a quick sudden no and he stops (for
the moment anyways). You may never teach her to stay off the counters or
even nto not try again later, but you can teach her to temporarily listen
to you when you say no. Just gotta be consistant.

Alice (who has just discovered her cat has managed to eat a piece of
dental floss, one of his little behaviors he likes to do and most people
on this group can tell you why that is a bad thing)

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.
Old August 7th 03, 05:48 AM
Mira

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 04:03:37 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter.

Precisely. As another poster recently said, they love ritual, and
along with ritual goes rules. If you lavish love and care on your cat,
you should have no problem with training them so that you can be happy
living with them, too. NOBODY has to live with a cat that disrupts
their lives or ruins their homes, or renders their kitchens filthy. If
you don't have your face in your cat's food dish, she has no business
with hers in the stuff on your kitchen counters.

It isn't cruelty to yell NO at your cat when she does something you
really do not want her to do. After all, she probably lets you know
with no hesitation if you do something she does not like.

I think homes where cats are up on kitchen counters and on living room
and dining room tables and shelves, and where they are allowed to
eliminate on carpets and floors do more to make non-catlovers of
people than anything else.

Cats love to be clean, they love order, and if we do it right, they
love us and want to please us as much as we want to please them.

Train your cats. It'll go a long way to making your occasional guests
want to have some than NOT training them will. IMHO.

[...]

/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_
http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old August 7th 03, 05:48 AM
Mira

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter.

Precisely. As another poster recently said, they love ritual, and
along with ritual goes rules. If you lavish love and care on your cat,
you should have no problem with training them so that you can be happy
living with them, too. NOBODY has to live with a cat that disrupts
their lives or ruins their homes, or renders their kitchens filthy. If
you don't have your face in your cat's food dish, she has no business
with hers in the stuff on your kitchen counters.

It isn't cruelty to yell NO at your cat when she does something you
really do not want her to do. After all, she probably lets you know
with no hesitation if you do something she does not like.

I think homes where cats are up on kitchen counters and on living room
and dining room tables and shelves, and where they are allowed to
eliminate on carpets and floors do more to make non-catlovers of
people than anything else.

Cats love to be clean, they love order, and if we do it right, they
love us and want to please us as much as we want to please them.

Train your cats. It'll go a long way to making your occasional guests
want to have some than NOT training them will. IMHO.

I have a cat who
dose things on purpose to get my attention when he wwants to be fed (and
sometimes even when not cause he also enjoys doing them, but he does them
more when he wants food). He will continue doing them, and hasn't
stopped.. But he has learned that when I yell no he better run away for
the moment or he will get thrown away from the object I don't want him
bothering. So all i have to do now is a quick sudden no and he stops (for
the moment anyways). You may never teach her to stay off the counters or
even nto not try again later, but you can teach her to temporarily listen
to you when you say no. Just gotta be consistant.

Alice (who has just discovered her cat has managed to eat a piece of
dental floss, one of his little behaviors he likes to do and most people
on this group can tell you why that is a bad thing)

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_
http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old August 7th 03, 03:04 PM
Phil P.

"Pamela" wrote in message
I've owned my cat for three months now. Before, he was simply too young

reach the kitchen countertop, so he'd clamber up on shelves every once in

while. Now he's a bit older and more agile, so my husband and I catch him
up there quite frequently. I don't approve of this behavior as it is not
very sanitary. Also, there is no food left on the counter so I'm not

quite
sure what he's looking for. I'm frustrated because I love my cat, but

would
love even more to break his bad habit. Any help?

Pamela

Buy some plastic carpet runner - a few bucks a running yard. Cut it into
strips and place them on the counter nubs facing up. If the nubs are too
sharp, drag it across concrete to dull the points a bit. After a few
pounces on the nubs, the cat should lose interest - he'll associate the
discomfort with the counter.

Another good feature of this technique is that the cat will experience the
same discomfort whether you're present or not and not associate the
discomfort only with your presence.

Good luck.

Phil.

Old August 7th 03, 03:40 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

well she is just a year old, and does understand the word no! she never get
on the table where we eat, totally litter trained, only uses her scratch
posts not the furniture, I groom and clip her nails... so she is very well
trained, it just this one side of the work top she insist on going on! she
never goes on the draining board or other kitchen units or furniture.... I
have had cats for about 40 years and never had this before. I will try the
tape as shouting "no" doesn't seem to work for that work top!

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
s.com...

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and

ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter.

Precisely. As another poster recently said, they love ritual, and
along with ritual goes rules. If you lavish love and care on your cat,
you should have no problem with training them so that you can be happy
living with them, too. NOBODY has to live with a cat that disrupts
their lives or ruins their homes, or renders their kitchens filthy. If
you don't have your face in your cat's food dish, she has no business
with hers in the stuff on your kitchen counters.

It isn't cruelty to yell NO at your cat when she does something you
really do not want her to do. After all, she probably lets you know
with no hesitation if you do something she does not like.

I think homes where cats are up on kitchen counters and on living room
and dining room tables and shelves, and where they are allowed to
eliminate on carpets and floors do more to make non-catlovers of
people than anything else.

Cats love to be clean, they love order, and if we do it right, they
love us and want to please us as much as we want to please them.

Train your cats. It'll go a long way to making your occasional guests
want to have some than NOT training them will. IMHO.

I have a cat who
dose things on purpose to get my attention when he wwants to be fed (and
sometimes even when not cause he also enjoys doing them, but he does them
more when he wants food). He will continue doing them, and hasn't
stopped.. But he has learned that when I yell no he better run away for
the moment or he will get thrown away from the object I don't want him
bothering. So all i have to do now is a quick sudden no and he stops (for
the moment anyways). You may never teach her to stay off the counters or
even nto not try again later, but you can teach her to temporarily listen
to you when you say no. Just gotta be consistant.

Alice (who has just discovered her cat has managed to eat a piece of
dental floss, one of his little behaviors he likes to do and most people
on this group can tell you why that is a bad thing)

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_
http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old August 7th 03, 03:40 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

well she is just a year old, and does understand the word no! she never get
on the table where we eat, totally litter trained, only uses her scratch
posts not the furniture, I groom and clip her nails... so she is very well
trained, it just this one side of the work top she insist on going on! she
never goes on the draining board or other kitchen units or furniture.... I
have had cats for about 40 years and never had this before. I will try the
tape as shouting "no" doesn't seem to work for that work top!

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk
s.com...

*~*SooZy*~* wrote:

yes my other cats used to do this! but this one just looks at me and

ignores
me when I say no! never had a cat so stubbern as my Miss Bebe! LOL
When I get her down she just jumps back up again

You just gotta continiue chasing her off the counter.

Precisely. As another poster recently said, they love ritual, and
along with ritual goes rules. If you lavish love and care on your cat,
you should have no problem with training them so that you can be happy
living with them, too. NOBODY has to live with a cat that disrupts
their lives or ruins their homes, or renders their kitchens filthy. If
you don't have your face in your cat's food dish, she has no business
with hers in the stuff on your kitchen counters.

It isn't cruelty to yell NO at your cat when she does something you
really do not want her to do. After all, she probably lets you know
with no hesitation if you do something she does not like.

I think homes where cats are up on kitchen counters and on living room
and dining room tables and shelves, and where they are allowed to
eliminate on carpets and floors do more to make non-catlovers of
people than anything else.

Cats love to be clean, they love order, and if we do it right, they
love us and want to please us as much as we want to please them.

Train your cats. It'll go a long way to making your occasional guests
want to have some than NOT training them will. IMHO.

I have a cat who
dose things on purpose to get my attention when he wwants to be fed (and
sometimes even when not cause he also enjoys doing them, but he does them
more when he wants food). He will continue doing them, and hasn't
stopped.. But he has learned that when I yell no he better run away for
the moment or he will get thrown away from the object I don't want him
bothering. So all i have to do now is a quick sudden no and he stops (for
the moment anyways). You may never teach her to stay off the counters or
even nto not try again later, but you can teach her to temporarily listen
to you when you say no. Just gotta be consistant.

Alice (who has just discovered her cat has managed to eat a piece of
dental floss, one of his little behaviors he likes to do and most people
on this group can tell you why that is a bad thing)

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_
http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

Old August 14th 03, 05:07 PM
Katra

Mira wrote:

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:33:21 GMT, "Pamela"
wrote:

I've owned my cat for three months now. Before, he was simply too young to
reach the kitchen countertop, so he'd clamber up on shelves every once in a
while. Now he's a bit older and more agile, so my husband and I catch him
up there quite frequently. I don't approve of this behavior as it is not
very sanitary. Also, there is no food left on the counter so I'm not quite
sure what he's looking for. I'm frustrated because I love my cat, but would
love even more to break his bad habit. Any help?

You can love cats and even have several spoiled rotten kitties without
having them on your counters or up on shelves breaking your things. I
love cats but think it is disgusting when you walk into someone's
house and can smell the catbox and see cat hair all over the kitchen
counters, etc. (Yes, my babies have window shelves and kitty condos
and great places to be up high.)

When you see him up there, clap your hands and say "NO" in a good,
big, "from the diaphram" kind of voice. Firmly. Every time you see him
up there. They hate loud noises. This worked just fine on my shelter
cats, and they were full grown when they got here. You can also use a
water pistol for aversion treatment--I used to get tired of getting up
and shooing my obstinate old cat when she was a kitten, so I kept one
beside me on the couch and when she got up somewhere I did not want
her I gave her a squirt. You can find squirt guns that shoot 30 feet.
:-) Cats are generally smart and can learn that some places are fine
for jumping up on and some are not.

Pamela

I've got mine pretty well trained now by using a squirt gun...
Some of them still get on the dining room table at night, but they stay
off the kitchen counters.

For the table, I am considering getting one of those electric training
pads that jeffers pet supply advertises. They are supposed to "tingle"
the cats paws if they get on it.

Has anyone ever used one of these and are they safe?

Thanks!
Kat

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

Breast Implants are the Stupidest idea ever. If I wanted to fondle
$10,000.oo worth of Silicon, I'd buy a new computer! --Anon.

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra

A Gift from Mai Kitty David Cat anecdotes 20 May 2nd 04 09:50 PM
kitty vs puss Brenda Cat anecdotes 30 January 26th 04 04:28 PM
The Stray Kitty. (VERY LONG) Flippy Cat anecdotes 24 November 9th 03 09:48 PM