laser pointer (makes cats INSANE)!

Old August 12th 03, 03:01 AM
Sherry

Default laser pointer (makes cats INSANE)!

I have discovered the greatest toy! You all probably already have
one....Petco
sells laser pointers and they are fantastic. I feel a little bit
cruel...she's
never gonna catch it...... )
-jen

Be careful not to shine the laser in your kitty's eyes, though. There's been
much controversy over whether the pet-marketed laser pointers are powerful
enough to be dangerous, but I think irregardless, it could harm her eyes if
shined directly at her face. I used one with my old Cherokee. It was a
wonderful way to get him to get a little exercise and he did love it. I was
always real careful though.

Sherry

Old August 12th 03, 03:58 AM
JLove98905

Hi Sherry,
I am definitely careful not to shine the laser beam into kitty's eyes! I work
with lasers.
There is even a message on the package about it.
-Jen
Half the people you know are below average. -Steven Wright

Old August 12th 03, 04:19 PM
Mr B

Works for some dogs too. Although sometimes a flashlight works better becauase it has a bigger spot
on the floor.

And hwo do you shine it in your pet's eyes? You're supposed to shine it on the floor/wall and that
usually makes the cat look at the floor/wall, not up at your hand. heh heh.

Old August 12th 03, 09:49 PM
MaryL

"Mr B" wrote in message
Works for some dogs too. Although sometimes a flashlight works better

becauase it has a bigger spot
on the floor.

And hwo do you shine it in your pet's eyes? You're supposed to shine it

on the floor/wall and that
usually makes the cat look at the floor/wall, not up at your hand. heh

heh.

Actually, it does take some care to be sure the light does not shine in the
cat's eyes because the cat will sometimes run directly toward the light as
it is deflected on the floor. All it takes is a little care in angling the
light away. Holly absolutely loves her laser. She bounds into my lap as
soon as I reach for the drawer (in a chest beside my chair) where I keep
"her" laser light. She has lots of fun and gets lots of exercise; I have
lots of fun and get to remain a couch potato through the process!

MaryL

Old August 13th 03, 04:06 AM
Jon C

"MaryL" wrote in message

"Mr B" wrote in message
[...]

Flashing a laser pointer in a cat's eyes won't hurt it. The warnings are a
CYA thing... and the fact that people hear "laser" and they think Star Wars.

The little laser pointers you use put out 5 mW of power. Shining it
directly into the eye is like looking at a 100 watt light bulb from over 3
feet away. It's bright but not damaging.