Sick Cat--need some advice

Old October 27th 05, 05:19 PM

Default Sick Cat--need some advice

A few weeks ago, my 6 year old cat, Mittens (a neutered male) starting
urinating in inappropriate places (the bed, the couch) and started
"scooting" across the floor. I of course took him to the vet
immediately where it was discovered that he had tapeworms and an
impacted and infected anal glands. The vet did what she had to do with
his anal glands, then I was to give him de-worming and antibiotic pills
for the next 7 days. He seemed to be doing well until the antibiotics
ran out.

Two days after I was out of anti-biotics, he started exhibiting the
same symptoms. I took him back to the vet, who explained that he
probably became resistant to the antibiotics. She then prescribed a
different type (liquid--clavomox??. That was Friday.

Yesterday, he started foaming at the mouth and was very non-responsive.
I rushed him to the vet (i thought that he was having a seizure).
They explained that he likely ate a spider and was allergic to it, gave
him an atropine shot, then gave me some antihistimines to give him (and
I am to continue the antibiotics.) Last night, he got a lot worse,
drooling everywhere, vomiting up bile, acting very sluggish (very
unlike him) and he refuses to eat or drink. I gave him his pill
(without a fight) and he didn't get any better. His breathing also
sounds labored. The vet called this morning to tell me his blood work
was all normal, except his glucose was a little high. I told him that
Mittens was worse, and he said to bring him in this afternoon if he
doesn't get any better.

My problem is that this sounds worse than a spider bite. I hope it
isn't anything very serious, but coupled with his behavior of the last
few weeks, can anyone tell me what may be wrong with him? I am
beginning to lose confidence in the vet as everytime I take him, he
really doesn't seem to get any better.

Sorry this is so long--I would appreciate any info that anyone could
give me.

Old October 27th 05, 05:56 PM
Gail

I would also discontinue the Clavamox since he may be allergic and get him
to a new vet ASAP.
Gail
oups.com...

Old October 28th 05, 01:32 AM
No More Retail

FIND ANOTHER VET IMMEDIATELY
If any animal ingest something that is not patable they threw it up

That medication is a penicillin product how many people die everyday
because of a reaction to it. It sounds like your cat is in anaflectic shock
if your catis still labor breathing and doing the other symptons. take your
cat to the another vet or contact an animal emergeny clinic to see if they
want you to bring the cat in.

Clavamox

More Information

Generic Name
Amoxicillin and Clavulanate Potassium

Brand Name(s)
Augmentin (GlaxoSmithKline), Clavamox (Pfizer Animal Health)

What is this medication used for
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium is a penicillin-like broad spectrum
antibiotic used to treat bacterial infections caused by susceptible
organisms.

Availability
Amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium is a prescription medication available
as tablets and oral suspension.

How this medicine should be used
The usual dose of amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium in dogs and cats is
6.25mg/pound every 12hours. This medication should be given with food. If
the tablets are foil wrapped, do not open wrapper until ready to give the
medication.

What are the side effects
Side effects when using amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium include loss
of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If an allergic reaction occurs,
symptoms include rash, fever, swelling of face or limbs, difficulty
breathing, rapid heart beat and incoordination.

What special precautions are there
This medication should not be used in animals allergic to penicillins or
cephalosporins. Use with caution in dehydrated animals or animals with
kidney or heart disorders. Certain prescription medications such as
allopurinol should be used with caution when taken with amoxicillin and
clavulanate potassium due to the increased risk of rash. Erythromycin and
probenecid may increase the effectiveness of amoxicillin and clavulante
potassium. Always tell your veterinarian and pharmacist what other
medications your pet is taking.

In the event of an overdose
Contact your veterinarian or veterinary emergency room. Symptoms of overdose
may include vomiting and diarrhea

Old October 28th 05, 02:04 AM
meee

your vet sounds incompetent...with those serious symptoms, the vet should
have looked for other reasons besides 'ate a spider' to me that sounds like
'can't be bothered'

--
There are many intelligent species in the Universe. They are all owned by
cats.

Anonymous

One cat just leads to another. -Ernest Hemingway

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
I agree on the Clavamox. Kami didn't tolerate it well AT ALL. I
also second the new vet suggestion.

Gail wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

I would also discontinue the Clavamox since he may be allergic and
get him to a new vet ASAP.
Gail
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

http://www.swydm.com/?refer=BrandyAlx
Well, would you?

Old October 28th 05, 02:05 AM
Emily Scherer

Maybe you should take him to another vet and get a second opinion on
what's going on with him. If you keep taking him back and he keeps
getting worse, that seems like the best option.

Good Luck,
Emily

Old October 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Karen

You need a new vet! Please.

Old October 28th 05, 08:03 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If his stomach is empty, digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid can cause
vomiting.

acting very sluggish (very
unlike him) and he refuses to eat or drink. I gave him his pill
(without a fight) and he didn't get any better. His breathing also
sounds labored.

The vet called this morning to tell me his blood work
was all normal, except his glucose was a little high.

That's normal- its called the "white coat effect"- stress from the trip to
the vet. Did the vet check his urine to make sure he didn't have sugar in
his urine (glycocuria)?

I told him that
Mittens was worse, and he said to bring him in this afternoon if he
doesn't get any better.

My problem is that this sounds worse than a spider bite. I hope it
isn't anything very serious, but coupled with his behavior of the last
few weeks, can anyone tell me what may be wrong with him? I am
beginning to lose confidence in the vet

I don't blame you.

as everytime I take him, he
really doesn't seem to get any better.

Sorry this is so long--I would appreciate any info that anyone could
give me.

This is just a guess- but his all symptoms might be related to an adverse
reaction to amoxi/clavamox. Penicillins are notorious for causing anorexia,
vomiting, and diarrhea in cats.

Contrary to popular belief- tapeworms don't do much harm to the host, other
than mild perianal pruritus. But impacted sacs often recur which leads to
inflammation which leads to infection which leads to abscessation and
finally to rupture if they're not treated properly. I don't know how the
vet treated the sacs- but after expressing them he should have flushed them
with them an antiseptic solution and instilled an antibiotic ointment- we
use an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment- a tiny lacrimal needle works like a
charm in anal sacs.

The spider theory is possible- but not probable since spiders are toys for
cats - unless poisonous spiders are endemic in your area.

My best advice is get a second opinion as soon as possible- but don't
mention the previous vet's spider theory. See what the second vet comes up
with. You might want to mention the symptoms your cat displayed after
receiving amoxi. Ask him if a fluoroquinolone (e..g., orbax) would be a
better choice.

Best of luck,

Phil

Old October 28th 05, 01:15 PM
Brenda

I took him to an emergency vet last nite. The blood glucose was back
to normal, and this vet did a chest x-ray because he heard something
when listening to his breathing. The X-Rays showed a dark spot in the
lungs, which 2 vets looked at and couldn't definitively say what it
was. They gave me 2 differential diagnoses: 1. Viral pneumonia.
These vets seemed to think that the dark spot could just be fluid.
They gave me lasik and another pill to help his breathing. I was told
to stop giving him the Clavamox, which seems after reading everyone
else's responses the right thing to do. The second diagnosis he gave
me was much more scary--Cancer. He is being re-x-rayed on Monday--they
will do a comparison between them to see if the spot has decreased in
size. If it hasn't then we will go from there.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and kindness.

Brenda

PS There are some poisoness spiders in my area, but I seriously doubt
that he ate one!