Compounding pharmacy

Old November 4th 05, 04:37 AM
Rhonda

Default Compounding pharmacy

Abernathy figured out that coming to me for chicken meant that he would
soon get a pill. His fear overcame his love of food. We had one grand
nightmare one night trying to catch him in this small room.

The vet suggested a liquid antibiotic from a compounding pharmacy. This
was the first time we've tried that on any of our cats. It worked on
Abernathy, the poster cat of a tough customer! His antibiotic is now
chicken broth-flavored, and I mix it in with additional chicken gravy
from his wet cat food. It's a treat for him.

What a relief for all of us! He purred for the first time in 2 days.

Abernathy would like to highly recommend the chicken gravy flavor.

Rhonda

Old November 4th 05, 05:05 AM
Katrina

On 2005-11-03 20:37:54 -0800, Rhonda said:

Abernathy figured out that coming to me for chicken meant that he would
soon get a pill. His fear overcame his love of food. We had one grand
nightmare one night trying to catch him in this small room.

The vet suggested a liquid antibiotic from a compounding pharmacy. This
was the first time we've tried that on any of our cats. It worked on
Abernathy, the poster cat of a tough customer! His antibiotic is now
chicken broth-flavored, and I mix it in with additional chicken gravy
from his wet cat food. It's a treat for him.

What a relief for all of us! He purred for the first time in 2 days.

Abernathy would like to highly recommend the chicken gravy flavor.

Rhonda

Ming had a REALLY bad case of ringworm when we got him from the
shelter, and the vet thought he was going to be on oral meds for up to
3 months (it ended up being less than half that...). We had a tuna
flavored mixture made up at a compounding pharmacy. Like Abernathy,
Ming *liked* his medication, which made giving it to him much easier.
Definately worth the effort.

Katrina

Old November 4th 05, 05:06 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Abernathy figured out that coming to me for chicken meant that he would
soon get a pill. His fear overcame his love of food. We had one grand
nightmare one night trying to catch him in this small room.

The vet suggested a liquid antibiotic from a compounding pharmacy. This
was the first time we've tried that on any of our cats. It worked on
Abernathy, the poster cat of a tough customer! His antibiotic is now
chicken broth-flavored, and I mix it in with additional chicken gravy from
his wet cat food. It's a treat for him.

What a relief for all of us! He purred for the first time in 2 days.

Abernathy would like to highly recommend the chicken gravy flavor.

My cat at work, Harriet, has been taking Lactulose since August. It was
always a horrible fight that ended in a big mess. Then people here told me
about FlavorRx (I think) and I called the vet to ask about it. They
recommended a pharmacy, and called in Harriet's prescription. Her first
bottle was chicken flavored. The current bottle is bacon. She still
doesn't enjoy it, but it's SO much easier now, and 99.9% of the medication
actually goes in her.

I started putting her Propulsid in Pill Pockets, which she was happy to eat
at first. In a matter of days she discovered that there was something in
them, and now she won't go near them and I'm back to poking it down her
throat.

--
Liz

Old November 4th 05, 05:22 AM
cybercat

"Rhonda" wrote in message
Abernathy figured out that coming to me for chicken meant that he would
soon get a pill. His fear overcame his love of food. We had one grand
nightmare one night trying to catch him in this small room.

The vet suggested a liquid antibiotic from a compounding pharmacy. This
was the first time we've tried that on any of our cats. It worked on
Abernathy, the poster cat of a tough customer! His antibiotic is now
chicken broth-flavored, and I mix it in with additional chicken gravy
from his wet cat food. It's a treat for him.

What a relief for all of us! He purred for the first time in 2 days.

Abernathy would like to highly recommend the chicken gravy flavor.

I am so glad this stuff exists! Hope all is peaceful at your place for a
while.

Old November 4th 05, 06:44 AM
-L.

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

My cat at work, Harriet, has been taking Lactulose since August. It was
always a horrible fight that ended in a big mess. Then people here told me
about FlavorRx (I think) and I called the vet to ask about it. They
recommended a pharmacy, and called in Harriet's prescription. Her first
bottle was chicken flavored. The current bottle is bacon. She still
doesn't enjoy it, but it's SO much easier now, and 99.9% of the medication
actually goes in her.

Glad that worked out. How is she doing?

I started putting her Propulsid in Pill Pockets, which she was happy to eat
at first. In a matter of days she discovered that there was something in
them, and now she won't go near them and I'm back to poking it down her
throat.

There is a veterinary pharmacy in S. CA that makes a bunch of different
meds in treat form - the one I am most familiar with is Tapazole. I
think they are located someplace around LA. If I can find the
reference, I'll post it.
-L.

Old November 4th 05, 08:42 AM
Phil P.

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
ink.net...

I started putting her Propulsid in Pill Pockets, which she was happy to

eat
at first. In a matter of days she discovered that there was something in
them, and now she won't go near them and I'm back to poking it down her
throat.

The trick to giving cats pills inside of treats is using three treats.
First, you tease her a little with a treat (that doesn't have a pill inside)
so she'll gobble it down when she gets it. When she finishes the first
treat, tease her a little with second treat (with the pill inside). As soon
as she starts eating the second treat (with the pill inside) let her see you
holding the third threat (without the pill). She should gobble down the
second treat (with the pill) so she can have the third. Thinking about
getting the third treat should draw her attention away from the pill in the
second treat. The third treat will also mask the after-taste of pill in the
second treat so she won't be reluctant at the next pilling.

If all else fails- try a pillpopper or this method:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

Phil

Old November 5th 05, 03:07 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

Elizabeth Blake wrote:

My cat at work, Harriet, has been taking Lactulose since August. It was
always a horrible fight that ended in a big mess. Then people here told
me
about FlavorRx (I think) and I called the vet to ask about it. They
recommended a pharmacy, and called in Harriet's prescription. Her first
bottle was chicken flavored. The current bottle is bacon. She still
doesn't enjoy it, but it's SO much easier now, and 99.9% of the
medication
actually goes in her.

Glad that worked out. How is she doing?

She's doing great. Cut back on her initial Lactulose dose and now she's
pooping on a regular basis. Not messy puddles anymore, either. She's
calmed down a lot and has stopped trying to kill everybody she sees. Now
she only has random fits where she'll go after somebody's leg.

There is a veterinary pharmacy in S. CA that makes a bunch of different
meds in treat form - the one I am most familiar with is Tapazole. I
think they are located someplace around LA. If I can find the
reference, I'll post it.
-L.

Treats with the medicine built-in would be great. Harriet loves treats and
it surprised me that she stopped eating the Pill Pockets.

--
Liz

Old November 5th 05, 03:12 AM
Elizabeth Blake

"Phil P." wrote in message

[...]

I'll have to try that trick, but I can't use Pill Pockets for all 3 treats.
Those things are expensive! Harriet LOVES treats and even when she won't
touch her food, she's always in the mood to eat as many treats as possible.
She also never chews them, except for the freeze dried chicken. Soft treats
and crunchy treats get swallowed whole. The Pill Pockets are bigger than
her usual treats once the capsule is inside, and I think she was chewing
them and bit into the capsule one time. I thought about emptying the powder
into the pocket, but don't want to end up wasting any medication. The vet
charges $1 for each Propulsid capsule. It's really not a pain to poke them
down her throat and she doesn't put up much of a fight.

--
Liz