how do you get a cat active?

Old September 6th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default how do you get a cat active?

my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?
Old September 6th 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Why not get a cat toy and start playing with her. It'll help perfect her
prey and pouncing technique. I'd also get her a cat tower as well. Cats like
to climb.

Old September 7th 08, 04:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Cat Protector exclaimed (9/6/2008 2:22 PM):

wrote in message
my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

Why not get a cat toy and start playing with her. It'll help perfect her
prey and pouncing technique. I'd also get her a cat tower as well.

Cats like
to climb.

Sometimes it's not that easy. Meep isn't big into playing unless the
Mood is upon her, though she'll sit and watch a slithering string all day

Put her food out in different places throughout the house. Hide kibble
here and there, so she has to go hunting in order to find her food. You
can do this with wet, you'll just need more bowls.

Ditto the tower though, if you don't have one already. You might also
look at the food you're feeding her, if it's low quality it could be
contributing both to her weight and lack of energy.

Also, if you haven't already, talk to your vet. Meep isn't terribly
active because she has a congenital heart problem (she has a bit of
cardiomyopathy - small murmur). I think she's had it from birth). When
I do get her to play, she only can for a couple of minutes before she
wears out.

Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try a
bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't forget
plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts for the Cat
Dancer.

Good luck, you're doing the right thing trying to get her to be more active!

jmc
Old September 7th 08, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Actually, it is that easy. A proper diet (no garbage foods), playing with
her, and getting things for her to climb on are excellent ways of getting
her to be more active. Cats should have an all canned diet of healthier
foods.

Old September 7th 08, 04:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stan Brown

Sat, 06 Sep 2008 23:52:28 -0400 from jmc
:
Still, try to get her to play more - at least 15 minutes a day. Try
a bunch of different toys until you find ones that she likes (don't
forget plain old string, and aluminium balls). Many cats go nuts
for the Cat Dancer.

Milo's favorite is Squeaky Mouse. I bought it for about $3 a Wal-
mart. (Squeaky Mouse is my name for it; I forget what the package is
labeled.)

It's a gray catnip mouse with a pink tail, and contains a microchip
that makes it squeak whenever it moves. Milo bats it around and
chases it several times a day for minutes on end.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Old September 7th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
val189

On Sep 6, 12:19 pm, wrote:
my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

Mine goes nuts chasing a white fur mouse or a peacock feather dragged
by him on the floor. A rolling pingpong ball also works, but not like
that mouse., NOw, he has black fur mice and won't give them a look,
so it's gotta be that white (rabbit?) fur.

Try to devote 15 mins. a day on the floor with him. If he ever gets
the crazies and starts tearing thru the house, they love to be chased,
if you're up to it and have on the right footgear..
Old September 7th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, val189 exclaimed (9/7/2008 12:50 PM):
On Sep 6, 12:19 pm, wrote:
my cat is 15pounds and i can't get her active how do i?

Mine goes nuts chasing a white fur mouse or a peacock feather dragged
by him on the floor. A rolling pingpong ball also works, but not like
that mouse., NOw, he has black fur mice and won't give them a look,
so it's gotta be that white (rabbit?) fur.

Try to devote 15 mins. a day on the floor with him. If he ever gets
the crazies and starts tearing thru the house, they love to be chased,
if you're up to it and have on the right footgear..

I'm never sure about that "loves to be chased" thing, since when I do
that, Meep's tail gets really big and she hides under the table...

jmc
Old September 7th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Spot[_2_]

My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
the floor at the front door for me.

I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.

Celeste

Old September 8th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):
My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
the floor at the front door for me.

I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.

Celeste

That's really cool. My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
the hamper, and hide them under the couch.

jmc
Old September 8th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
val189

On Sep 7, 7:43 pm, jmc wrote:
Suddenly, without warning, Spot exclaimed (9/7/2008 6:03 PM):

My one cat loved to find clean socks. I would hide 2 or 3 pair in different
places every day and when I came home from work would find them laying on
the floor at the front door for me.

I wish the cats I had now liked to do this, it was lots of fun playing with
him and seeing if he could find each pair every day.

Celeste

That's really cool. My first cat would steal my dirty underwear from
the hamper, and hide them under the couch.

jmc

How did he get things out of the hamper?
Mine LOVES to lie on shoes of real leather.