Spraying related to diet?

Old December 24th 04, 03:34 AM

Default Spraying related to diet?

I have a neutered male cat, who was a stray, (neutered before I got
him but neutered after sexual maturity according to my vet).

When I moved from my residence in San Diego to Phoenix I took a female
cat. The agreement with my roommate is that I would take the male
after I had a house in Phoenix.

I brought the male to Phoenix last April with great trepidation as he
had been a real sprayer in San Diego. He was also a 75% outdoor cat
in San Diego and had been in many fights, which resulted in mega vet
bills. I planned to keep him 100% indoors in Phoenix.

Upon his arrival here I had no problems with him. No desire go
outside at first and no spraying. By the time he wanted to go
outside, it was 110 degrees outside. I would open the door and say,
"Go ahead", he would take one step out, feel the heat and turn around
and come back in.

With fall came cooler weather. He started pawing at the window blinds
and crying, he also started spraying. I thought it was due to
frustration at being inside. Then one day it hit me. We had always
joked about meat bringing out the animal instincts in the cat. When
he first came here he only ate dry (my female will only eat dry, she
doens't like wet food.) Later Istarted giving him high quality (first
ingredient meat) canned food as a treat and he started spraying. A
week ago I went totally to dry, he stopped spraying for a week. Last
night I gave him meat, this morning he sprayed all over my clothes.

Can this be possible, can meat make a male cat spray?