Broken-hearted cat (long)

Old August 5th 05, 08:32 PM
coorslte

Rhonda wrote:
/snip/
What can I tell her? I'm trying very hard not to be ****ed that this cat
was left behind, but I am ****ed. I cannot believe a 2-day trip could
have been worse than this.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Some people don't seem to get it when they adopt a pet. Our latest cat
Morrison had a very rough life. He was born blind (detached retinas we
have been told) but he was adopted by an elderly lady who wanted
company. She passed away when he was about a year old and some
relatives kept him outside because they didn't like cats. Then they
turned him over to the local rescue center where he was adopted out to a
young man who returned him when he got transfered out of the country.
The next owner returned him when her son became allergic to cats. The
owner before us returned him because (this you may find hard to swallow)
"there is something wrong with his eyes" (yes they don't focus because
he is blind you nimrod). After spending a couple of days wandering
around the house (getting to know his way around) he has settled in and
displays just the sweetest personality. He has bonded with the
youngest (and rowdiest) cat and they play together constantly. I don't
know how anyone gave him up.

God luck with your cat.

Old August 5th 05, 11:40 PM
Cheryl

On Thu 04 Aug 2005 12:30:26a, Rhonda wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

3 years ago Walter (sig.other) trapped 3 kittens where he works.
They had not been handled by humans until then. The vet said
they were about 10 wks old.

We had all of them for 3 weeks as they got their shots, worming,
etc. We worked for hours to socialize them, and had good luck.
The orange guy especially turned into a love bug.

We found a home for the orange guy -- a cat lover in Oregon. He
was very skittish at first, but came to love her and his new cat
friend. I've been keeping in touch with her since then, but
here's the tough part. She didn't answer an email recently so I
called someone else I knew in her office (a different branch of
our company.) The cat-lover was in the process of moving to
Utah, without the orange guy!

She had decided that he did not take the last move to a new
apartment well, and didn't want to put him through a drive to
Salt Lake. She gave him to a co-worker and took the other cat
with her!!!

I'm now in contact with the new owner and trying to provide
support. The cat is FREAKED. He has lost his home, his human,
and his cat partner. He has reverted to semi-feral mode. She has
not been able to touch him for 2 weeks and he is hiding behind
the appliances and in cupboards (which they all did in our
bathroom as kittens.)

She is a new cat owner and this is a lot to lay on someone who
wanted their first cat. I've been giving advice over the phone
-- sit and talk to him, get him used to your voice, lay treats
in front of him, try to play with him with a fishing-pole toy,
etc. She is scared of him hasn't gotten too close because he
huddles away from her, and she is afraid he will attack. He is
not a mean cat and I told her to just go slow, but it's
important to start getting closer to him.

Any advice I could pass on? I told her I'd drive down there and
help any time. She had a friend who is a more experienced
cat-person come over and he talked baby talk to the cat, and
actually got close enough to pet him. The cat let him do it,
although he was hiding and tense. She's too afraid to attempt
that on her own, and he went back in a cupboard as soon as the
other guy left. He is coming out when she's not there and eating
and using the litter box.

What can I tell her? I'm trying very hard not to be ****ed that
this cat was left behind, but I am ****ed. I cannot believe a
2-day trip could have been worse than this.

Thanks,

Rhonda

This is so maddening, Rhonda. I know how you feel because you put a
lot of your own love and care into socializing him, found him what
you thought was a forever home, and have this happen! I hate people
sometimes. I wonder if he'd be better off in a smaller space
until he isn't as freaked out? Maybe in a spare room if they have
one, or just closed in her room and have her go in, sit on the
floor and talk quietly with him? If she's afraid of him, her own
room might not work, but maybe a bathroom with a box on its side
(opening away from the door) and lots of blankets to make it soft,
some soft music maybe? My Bonnie spent her first 2 weeks in my
house in the bathroom downstairs. She freaked when I even went in
there, so she was by herself a lot. As much as I hated it, she
seemed to adjust better. Of course, she was feral and older than
the orange boy when she was trapped. Most of her socializing after
that was in a cage for 2 months. How is he now? Have you spoken
with her? Good luck to her. So sad, but glad she's going to give
him a chance!

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 5th 05, 11:43 PM
Cheryl

On Fri 05 Aug 2005 04:02:11p, Karen wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

"coorslte" wrote in message
Rhonda wrote:
[...]

DITTO what Karen said! That is one kitty that deserves lots of TLC.
I'm glad you have him now!

Old August 6th 05, 05:53 AM
Rhonda

Thanks, Karen. I'll read that site.

Rhonda

Karen wrote:

It is a synthetic phermone. It is not unsafe. It is not a drug. You can read
more at www.feliway.com. I think it would be a definite thing to try. It
seems to help my cats get along better.

Old August 6th 05, 05:54 AM
Rhonda

Wow, what a history your cat has had! They can be such survivors, it is
amazing.

I'm glad Morrison now has a REAL forever home.

Rhonda

Old August 6th 05, 06:00 AM
Rhonda

I passed along the suggestion of a smaller room to her today -- Kelly
has mentioned that too.

She said she may put him in a spare room and see if that helps him feel
more comfy with her. She was open to the idea.

She had a friend and her husband come over last night, they are both cat
lovers. They got him out a few times, but she said he mostly ran and
hid. At least he was out a bit. They told her he seems very traumatized.

She said she knows this will take a lot of patience on her part, but she
seems committed to helping him. We're lucky that she's not one to give
up easily.

I'm putting together a cat-care package, and will be sending it to her.
I should put a beer in it for her, too...

Thanks for the suggestions,

Rhonda

Old August 8th 05, 08:05 AM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

I had major issues with my cats adjusting--I adopted three cats from the
humane society. One thing that helped us tremendously was using Bach Flower
Essence Aspen--we had major issues with adjusting and such-and this seemed to
calm them all down and bring them to the same level. I used it for two weeks.
I highly suggest this.

If you do get it--note: the bottle has to be shook first to activate it and
about 4-5 drops in the water bowl.

There is also a Bach Flower Essence spray that worked for Girly--especially
with transporting.

Another thing that helped us get use to each other--I played with them with
cat toys--you know those kind with bells and shiney ribbons on a pole? It
seemed to give them the focus on something but not the focus on me and it
brought them closer into my personal space.

I wish them the best.

Sincerely,
Jen

Rhonda wrote:
[...]

OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
Vet Tech journals (very long) Mischief Cat anecdotes 7 March 30th 05 01:41 AM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM