Egyptian Mau?

Old September 8th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Default Egyptian Mau?

Please, I don't want to turn this into a flamewar about purebreds vs.
Rescues. I'm just interested finding out about the breed.

We went to a cat show yesterday, and Hubby and I saw some Egyptian Maus
and really liked them. I've done a bit of research, and like them even
more. Of course, breeders are likely to be biased I know that they
are very rare in the US, and very expensive. I know they're a very old
breed. I know that there are at least two genetic issues:
cardiomyopathy and asthma, and that "breeders are working hard to
eliminate these problems". I've read a bit on their purrsonalities and
that they're supposed to be pretty smart, playful, and "lap cats" with
their chosen human.

Was wondering if anyone here are/were Mau parents, and can tell me more
about these cats.

I've found a rescue that actually rescues these cats from Egypt, though
many are crossbreeds and don't look much like the ones I saw at the
show. I like 'em better than most of the cats we saw at the show, not
just for the spots and beautiful color, but because their faces are
neither squashed (persian) or elongated (siamese), and their body shape
is, well, normal.

I, myself, am not really interested in purchasing from a breeder - I'd
much prefer to adopt or rescue. But if we know more about these cats, we
can keep our eyes open for a Mau or Mau mix at our plethora of local cat
rescues...

Anyway. Please, please don't turn this into a breed vs rescue flamewar,
I'm not interested. I just want to know what it's like to own these
cats. If Hubby really wants one, I'll really try to steer him to
rescuing instead of purchasing from a breeder (spending tons of money
and waiting a year or more, to boot).

Thanks,

jmc

Old September 9th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

You can find purebreed cats all the time at your local shelter. Many of them
dumped there by irresponsible humans or they were found as strays on city
strays. Both of my cats are rescues. Isis is a Bombay and Icarus is Japanese
Bobtail. BTW, all cats are intelligent.

Old September 10th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Cat Protector exclaimed (9/9/2008 11:43 AM):
You can find purebreed cats all the time at your local shelter. Many of them
dumped there by irresponsible humans or they were found as strays on city
strays. Both of my cats are rescues. Isis is a Bombay and Icarus is Japanese
Bobtail. BTW, all cats are intelligent.

Thanks. I imagine Maus go fast, even if the adopter hasn't a clue what
breed a cat is, simply because they're very striking, with those spots.

"All cats are intelligent" is just like saying "all cats are dumb"...
There's some deviation by breed as to average level of intelligence, and
even there there's always standouts at each end of the spectrum. I've
met one or two at either end, but of course more in the middle.

Meep... sometimes she seems incredibly intelligent, and sometimes it's
like, "ok cat, find those two brain cells, and rub them together now"

Then again, I have days like that too.

Then again, again, I'm pretty sure that some of these times, she's being
deliberately dumb, so I'll do something for her she doesn't want to do
herself.

jmc