[OT] Tips for Coping

Old December 8th 04, 05:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-08, Cheryl Perkins penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
snip
buddies, but like I said, the elusive talker, not doer, is hard to find.
Perhaps especially in Boulder, where most people lead extremely active
lives!

I think the kind of friendship in which each trusts the other and can talk
about anything to each other is rare anyway, and takes a long time to build.
All the more reason to treasure existing one - but I think what I'm trying
to get at is that there might be plenty of candidates in Boulder, but of
course you have to meet them, under the kind of circumstances that you might
start talking, and then develop the relationship, so if you're patient,
someone you've met might become one of these friends.

*nod*

I agree. It takes time. I won't claim I'm patient =)

--
monique, caretaker of Oscar
Old December 8th 04, 06:11 PM
Mogget

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Yowie" wrote in message

I find knitting & crochet very relaxing, too. Its just like fidgetting,
but
after a while you get something nifty, creative and unique for you
troubles.

Not that my jumpers ever fit, but thats beside the point...

Yowie

Unique is the word if you saw anything I ever knitted or crotcheted.

"Hand-gnarled" is the word for my efforts.
--
Mogget
Old December 8th 04, 07:11 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-08, CatNipped penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

No problem - I always welcome advice (don't necessarily take it, but it's
always good to have the information offered). I've had about 15 *major*
surgeries in my life ex.: the knee surgery (which they said I would take 6 -
12 months to walk again but with the shape I was in I was dancing in 6
weeks!), hysterectomy, gall bladder removal, bone reconstruction surgery on
my shoulder, and the latest just last March. I just can't face having
another surgery just yet!

I can definitely understand that! How frustrating.

I'm curious. Does the cartilage transplant come from a cadaver, or an
animal, or ..?

I have no earthly idea - I heard it advertised on the radio (which is
another reason I'm hesitant - any doctor that needs to advertise for
business makes be pause to consider whether or not I want to see him).

Yeah; it would make more sense to talk to your own doctor =)

I don't know what that condition is, but it sounds ucky!

Fibromyalgia is a condition that has no life-threatening (*) effects, but
causes you to be in constant, agonizing pain, and is either caused by or
causes insomnia and very restless sleep. There is no cure for it, not even
any alleviation (with the risk of becoming addicted to pain killers, so they
won't prescribe them). The main way they diagnose it is the symptoms you
suffer and the classis "pain points" (if someone pokes me in the wrong spot,
I go through the roof!!). Here's a link about it if you're interested:
http://www.fmaware.org/fminfo/brochure.htm

(*) Several of Dr. Kevorkian's "patients" were suffering with Fibromyalgia
and just could not face life with the constant pain. I am fortunate to have
a fairly high pain threshold, but it is still hard to battle depression when
you are always hurting and have no hopes of ever *not* hurting.

Oof. That's no fun.

Hrm, I don't know why my brain went in this direction, but I wonder if you
live in or could move to a state that allows medicinal marijuana usage. I
wonder if it would be authorized for this kind of situation, and if it would
help at all. It's supposedly non-addictive, and maybe you could give your
cats catnip at the same time and all have a blast together =P

(Actually I hear that catnip is more like LSD to cats than it is like
marijuana, but I'm pretty sure LSD would be counterindicated for someone with
back problems.)

All that being said, I've never tried the stuff and have no idea what it would
be like for you, so that wasn't a suggestion, just an errant thought.

The pain killer addiction thing seems like a lame excuse for allowing someone
to stay in pain. My MIL has had nasty back problems for years now; as long as
I've known her. Several surgeries, constant pain. She's been to pain clinics
and whatnot. She's on pain killers right now that allow her to actually walk
around and do some normal things -- she was able to go on a slow, mile-long
walk in the desert with us this Thanksgiving. That's more than I've ever seen
her do.

I'm not even sure what a pain clinic is, but apparently, it's a place where
you go to treat pain whose underlying cause can't be cured. Or something like
that.

I hate lingering health problems. They really have a way of slowly
grinding a person down. When I think of the relatively miniscule health
problems I've had, and the way they affect me, folks with "real" health
problems who can manage to keep on keepin' on with a smile (mostly) on
their face inspire me.

Well, if you don't have any choice but to bear it, you may as well grin
while you're bearing it!! ;

Sure, it makes sense, but I still think it's very brave =)

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey DLH with an attitude!

Old December 8th 04, 10:00 PM
CatNipped

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Oof. That's no fun.

Hrm, I don't know why my brain went in this direction, but I wonder if you
live in or could move to a state that allows medicinal marijuana usage. I
wonder if it would be authorized for this kind of situation, and if it
would
help at all. It's supposedly non-addictive, and maybe you could give your
cats catnip at the same time and all have a blast together =P

I would love to do that, but there isn't anywhere in the U.S. marijuana is
*really* legal. Even in the states that allow its medical use, it is still
a *federal* offense (there have been federal drug raids on medicinal
marijuana growers and distributors in California which even trickled down to
the users who are now not only dealing with dying of cancer but having to
defend themselves in court against criminal drug charges!!). Don't get me
started on this subject!

OK, I'm already started so here goes a rant. Alcohol is *SO* much more
destructive than weed. People get drunk and speed, get in fights, rob
liquour stores and do all sorts of destructive things. People who are
alcoholics have a number of medical problems caused by alcohol - cirrhosis
of the liver is only one. People who get "high" lay around and look at all
the pretty lights - you've never heard of anyone getting high and then going
off to rob a liquour store (they wouldn't get past the nearest Taco Bell,
and would forget what they were going to do by the second stop light!!) ;
There have been *countless* studies that have shown that, not only is
marijuana harmless, it is actually *beneficial*! Yet alcohol is legal and
congress acts like marijuana is the right hand of Satan.

Now, *why* is marijuana illegal? Let's see, could it *possibly* be the
money that the large drug companies pay (off) to our politicians in order to
protect their multi-BILLION dollar incomes??? Could it *possibly* be the
secret pay-offs that organized crime gives to our politicians to KEEP it
illegal so they can make money off the illegal sale of it - after all, if it
were legal we could grow it ourselves very easily (there's a reason it's
called "weed")!

[...]

I can tell you one thing a pain clinic is - expensive!!! And most
insurances don't cover it - I tried (they also don't cover deep-tissue
massage, hypnosis, sleep clinics, or accupuncture - or anything labeled
"alternative").

Sure, it makes sense, but I still think it's very brave =)

Well, a philosophy I try to live by is, "Bad things are going to happen.
You can either cry about them or laugh about them. Neither response is
going to change the bad thing that happened, but laughing is *so* much more
fun and your nose won't get red."

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 8th 04, 10:17 PM
polonca12000

So very sorry to hear that, CN, I do so wish there was something that could
be done to help you with the pain.
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

snip I am fortunate to have

Old December 8th 04, 10:23 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-08, CatNipped penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I would love to do that, but there isn't anywhere in the U.S. marijuana is
*really* legal. Even in the states that allow its medical use, it is still
a *federal* offense (there have been federal drug raids on medicinal
marijuana growers and distributors in California which even trickled down to
the users who are now not only dealing with dying of cancer but having to
defend themselves in court against criminal drug charges!!). Don't get me
started on this subject!

I think I've heard that in Canada, small amounts are not considered to be a
criminal issue ... it's like a traffic ticket. Any Canadians who can
confirm/deny?

[snip rant, very much preaching to the choir and then some!]

I can tell you one thing a pain clinic is - expensive!!! And most
insurances don't cover it - I tried (they also don't cover deep-tissue
massage, hypnosis, sleep clinics, or accupuncture - or anything labeled
"alternative").

Yeah. Eric's parents have spent an obscene chunk of money on her medical
treatments, but hey, better to be poor than dead or in permanent pain. Not
that they're poor, but the amounts of money make my eyes cross.

My current insurance does cover acupuncture, massage with a doctor's note, and
chiro, all at reduced percentages, but at least it's there.

The one that really ****es me off is physical therapy coverage at 50%. That
stuff adds up fast!

[insert rant here about how medical insurance should be for major trouble, not
every little thing, but that's not the way the system works, so everything is
inflated so much that you can't possibly get by without insurance for even the
dumbest little thing, if only to get the negotiated rates]

Well, a philosophy I try to live by is, "Bad things are going to happen.
You can either cry about them or laugh about them. Neither response is
going to change the bad thing that happened, but laughing is *so* much more
fun and your nose won't get red."

True enough. True enough.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey DLH with an attitude!

Old December 9th 04, 12:09 AM
CatNipped

"polonca12000" wrote in message
So very sorry to hear that, CN, I do so wish there was something that

could
be done to help you with the pain.
Lots of purrs and best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

Thank you. I've learned how to deal - not much else to do - so it's not a
"major" factor of my life any more, just a constant irritant.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 9th 04, 01:07 AM

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

insert rant here about how medical insurance should be for major
trouble, not every little thing

I'd go for that if medical care was actually affordable, but as you
said, it's inflated way out of control.

I'd prefer that everyone have either free or very low-cost health
care. And yes, I am willing to pay the taxes for it!

Joyce
Old December 9th 04, 01:10 AM

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

I rather doubt it is entirely non-addictive, though I know a lot of
the pro side says it is.

I'm sure there is psychological addiction for some, maybe many, people.
But then, that might be true for anti-depressants, too, and nobody's
talking about making those illegal.

As for physical addiction, I have no idea.

And the effects on the lungs aren't well known yet.

If you're taking it medicinally, you could take THC pills, couldn't you?

We do have medicare here - a friend of mine got a referral to a pain
clinic for a back injury, paid for through our taxes. She still has
pain, but she says she can handle it a lot better.

Sounds like money well spent to me!

Joyce
Old December 9th 04, 04:44 AM
Marina

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

At least here in Finland, one argument for keeping it illegal is that it
can lead to use of more dangerous drugs. But by that logic, beer should
be illegal because it can lead to use of stronger drinks. shakes head
Alcohol certainly causes much more trouble. Not to mention cigarettes.

Well, a philosophy I try to live by is, "Bad things are going to happen.
You can either cry about them or laugh about them. Neither response is
going to change the bad thing that happened, but laughing is *so* much more
fun and your nose won't get red."

I've never put it into words, but that's pretty much my outlook on life.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki