Cats and wasp/bee stings

Old September 8th 05, 12:35 AM
\kls\

Default Cats and wasp/bee stings

Milly is almost 1 (16th Sept) and she batted a wasp or bee today which stung
her on her front left paw. I saw it happen but it was so fast I didn't see
whether it was a wasp or a bee.

She shook her paw several times very fast and ran to the patio and then
frantically licked her paw. I inspected it but didn't see a sting left in
there. She didn't cry and she could walk on it, although she did hold it up
occasionally.

After about one hour, it had swelled so much that her paw looked like a
boxing glove and she continued licking it.

I rang the Vet for advice and they told me to bring her in straight away if
she seemed distressed. She seemed a bit sleepy to me so I took her in
anyway and they gave her an antiflammatory injection (x2)?? after a thorough
inspection.

She seems fine now and the swelling has gone but I asked the Vet if cats
could suffer Anaphalactic (sp.) shock, like humans. She said it wasn't well
documented but it's like humans, if they get sensitised to stings it could
happen.

She did advise me to bring her back if I was at all worried but she seems
fine and has eaten as normal this afternoon/evening.

Poor baby, she's sleeping now but I am still worried about her. Has anyone
got any experience with cats and stings?

Thanks
Karen

Old September 8th 05, 02:03 AM
mlbriggs

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 23:35:44 +0000, "kls" wrote:

[...]

A few years ago, my niece's Siamese caught a bee in her mouth and she was
dead from the sting by the time she arrived at the Vet's (15 minutes
later). I suspect and purr that your kitty will be fine. But keep her
in the house. MLB

Old September 8th 05, 03:28 AM

"kls" wrote:
[...]

I think your kitty must be a little allergic to the bee venom. My DH is
a hobbyist beekeeper, and since Boots is his shadow, she's been stung
once. I don't recall any swelling at all. It only took one time though;
she learned to stay away. She won't go near the apiary at all.

Sherry

Old September 8th 05, 04:45 AM
blkcatgal

My cat, age 2, did exactly the same thing your cat did the other
day....batted at a bee and got stung. His paw swelled up like a boxing
glove too (good description!). I checked the internet about what to do and
read that cats can suffer reactions to insect stings. It advised to watch
the cat and make sure it was not experiencing any breathing problems, etc.
Other than the swollen paw, my cat seemed okay so I just kept an eye on him.
By the next day, the swelling had gone down considerably and now it's back
to normal.

S.

Old September 8th 05, 04:49 AM
blkcatgal

My cat was in the house when he got stung....the bee had gotten in
unexpectently and, of course, Wally just had to have some fun...or so he
thought.

S.
news

Old September 8th 05, 03:02 PM

"kls" wrote:
Milly is almost 1 (16th Sept) and she batted a wasp or bee today which stung
her on her front left paw. I saw it happen but it was so fast I didn't see
whether it was a wasp or a bee.

(snip)
Poor baby, she's sleeping now but I am still worried about her. Has anyone
got any experience with cats and stings?

Thanks
Karen

My former cat Tuffy pounced on a bumble bee and was stung. His paw
swelled up and it must have hurt because he always ran in the other
direction after that whenever a bee came near him. He was fine after
the swelling went down a day or so later.