turning a male cat into a female

Old August 20th 03, 12:06 AM
No One But Me

Default turning a male cat into a female

Blankthis morning i took my cat, Joey (3 yrs old), to the vet for urinary
crystals. this is the second time in 2 months. in order to get a catheter in
to drain his bladder which was completely full, they had to sedate him ...
and even then it took 1 hour just to get the catheter in!

when i talked to the vet this afternoon, she said Joey was a good candidate
for an operation which will relieve him of the crystals but which will turn
him into a girl. said he would never again have this problem if he had that
operation. i told her that i wanted to give him that operation and she said
she would make arrangements for it when Joey gets better & is no longer
inflamed.

has anyone ever heard of this?

barbara

Old August 20th 03, 02:42 AM
Arjun Ray

In , "No One But Me"
wrote:

| Blankthis morning i took my cat, Joey (3 yrs old), to the vet for
| urinary crystals.

What did you expect, mutilator? Feeeding crap food was "in the
contract", wasn't it?

| this is the second time in 2 months.

And you think it couldn't possibly be your fault, right?

| when i talked to the vet this afternoon, she said Joey was a good
| candidate for an operation which will relieve him of the crystals
| but which will turn him into a girl.

Vaguely, only in terms of how the urethra connects to the outside. The
urethra above the penis is reconnected to a new opening just below the
anus. It's called Perineal Urethrostomy:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+S earch

There may be a period of incontinence while he learns sphincter control
with new muscles.

PU is a last hope procedure for chronically blocked FLUTD cases, which
is not restricted to just those prone to developing crystals.

If crystals are the problem in such a *young* cat, chances are that
talking to a nutritionist would be the wisest course.

Or maybe that isn't in the contract?

--
"in order to have a home, food in your bowl, water to drink, regular
medical care, and an owner to take care of them & love them, prices
Old August 20th 03, 02:42 AM
Arjun Ray

Old August 20th 03, 08:44 AM

Barbara wrote:

when i talked to the vet this afternoon,
she said Joey was a good candidate for
an operation which will relieve him of the
crystals

The operation will NOT relieve him of crystals. It will only make him
less likely to block. A vet that would recommend such a drastic measure
when other things have not yet been tried is an idiot and you should be
looking for a new vet. This operation is a *last resort* which should be
considered *only* after all other options fail. You aren't even there
yet.
Using a high quality canned food only diet that is supplemented with an
acidifier in tablet form is a better option that doesn't involve such
drastic measures.

but which will turn him into a girl.
said he would never again have this
problem if he had that operation.

That's not true. It will NOT resolve the crystal problems, and will only
lessen chances of a blockage. You need to address the cause of the
crystals instead of planning to have your cat cut up unnecessarily
because it seems more convenient.

i told her that i wanted to give him that
operation and she said she would make
arrangements for it when Joey gets better
& is no longer inflamed.

I would never do this without first taking the time to try to resolve
the cause. I hope you regain your sanity and focus on dealing with and
curing the crystal issues rather than looking for a drastic quick fix.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 20th 03, 09:15 AM

I wanted to add to my previous post the fact that a cat that has had a
perineal urethrostomy is highly prone to bladder infections and stones
and needs regular trips to the vet for monitoring.
Again, I would not recommend you do this to your cat when there are
other options.