Ann... the death of my cat

Old July 25th 03, 09:32 PM
Karen Chuplis

Default Ann... the death of my cat

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Karen Chuplis
writes
in article , Andy Sinclair at
wrote on 7/25/03 4:30 AM:

blcker wrote:
Ann, this is another reason why cats are far better off living

indoors.
There are so many evil cat-hating humans that think nothing of

shooting a
cat if it comes on their property.

There are evil child hating people about.
You should keep your children chained in the basement for safety.

We do not usually let children out to roam unattended. When I do see

young
ones out by them selves with no adult, I feel just as resentful at the
parents. There may not be a problem where you live, but I hear plenty
everyday of child gone missing and a tearful parent pleading on the news

and
hundreds of volunteers searching. It happens and children should be
supervised.

On the street here (small village, cul-de-sac, almost no traffic)
playing out is the norm, and we have three play areas - one on the
street, one 2 minutes walk away and another (large enough for a soccer
pitch) 5 minutes away. It's normal here for children to play out, and
for cats to come and go as they wish.

But surely parents are looking out the window and supervising and 5 year
olds aren't wandering around town. Actually, once again, it is a difference
in locale. Most streets even in suburb areas are much too dangerous for kids
to be out on without supervision. I've seen 3 and 4 year olds (i kid you
not) trying to cross four lane roads with cars whizzing by at 45 mph and not
an adult in sight. It makes my blood boil. Once again, at least in our neck
of the woods, supervision is just a good idea.

Maybe you don't have pictures on milk cartons either over there. Feel very
lucky.

Karen

Old July 25th 03, 09:32 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Karen Chuplis
writes
in article , Andy Sinclair at

Old July 25th 03, 09:54 PM
Five Cats

In article , Karen Chuplis
writes

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Karen Chuplis
writes
in article , Andy Sinclair at
wrote on 7/25/03 4:30 AM:

blcker wrote:
[...]

They aren't looking as much as you would think, and whilst 5yos are
never far from home 7yos can be quite out of sight.

Actually, once again, it is a difference
in locale. Most streets even in suburb areas are much too dangerous for kids
to be out on without supervision. I've seen 3 and 4 year olds (i kid you
not) trying to cross four lane roads with cars whizzing by at 45 mph and not
an adult in sight. It makes my blood boil.

The nearest 4-lane road (e.g. 2 in each direction) must be 10 miles
away.

Once again, at least in our neck
of the woods, supervision is just a good idea.

Maybe you don't have pictures on milk cartons either over there. Feel very
lucky.

Of missing kids? I think we have had, but it is a very rare thing to
have happen in the UK, certainly with young children. Teenagers are
another matter of course but then they take things into their own hands
in a way a younger child wouldn't.

--
Five Cats
Old July 25th 03, 09:54 PM
Five Cats

In article , Karen Chuplis
writes

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article , Karen Chuplis
writes
in article , Andy Sinclair at

Old July 26th 03, 12:13 AM
Cheryl

"Karen Chuplis" wrote in message

"Five Cats" wrote in message

[...]

Sounds like utopia, doesn't it.

Old July 26th 03, 09:34 AM
Five Cats

In article , Cheryl
writes

"Five Cats" wrote in message

[...]

Compare with living in a city yes it is, given that I don't like
night-clubs and so on - the nearest ones to here are some 20 miles away.
However it's much further to concerts than at my previous house (10
minutes drive there, 90 minutes travelling here) and would be the same
to the theatre. Cinemas are closer. Council tax is high here (rural
areas cost more to run than urban ones), I have to go to Edinburgh to
browse a decent CD shop for classical music (or take the Amazon route),
and living here without a car would be not easy.

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice. Country living
isn't for everyone, but for both me and my cats it's the bees knees. We
have a supermarket within about 10 minutes drive, a post office & small
shop in the village, people with children have a primary school, and the
nearest town has quite a few interesting shops plus baker (very yummy
one), fish shop, fish & cheese shop, butcher and delicatessen/wine
store. It also has a station which makes commuting to Edinburgh quite
possible (clearly quite a few people do this every day as the car park
has about 100 cars in every weekday), plus a high school.

--
Five Cats

Old July 28th 03, 05:16 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Five Cats" wrote in message
In article ,
bewtifulfreak writes
"Five Cats" wrote in message
On the street here (small village, cul-de-sac, almost no traffic)
playing out is the norm, and we have three play areas - one on the
street, one 2 minutes walk away and another (large enough for a soccer
pitch) 5 minutes away. It's normal here for children to play out, and
for cats to come and go as they wish.

Well, it's wonderful that you live in a small, enclosed area where people
can feel comfortable allowing their children and animals to roam free;

I'm
sure they greatly enjoy it. Unfortunately, not all areas are safe for

that
sort of thing, which is why it always has to be an individual decision,

with
the children and animals' best interests (primarily safety) at heart.

When I was moving I deliberately choose this kind of place to live in as
I wanted somewhere safe for the cats to go out. And yes - we all enjoy
going out and about.

I think that's terrific you had that option.

Karen

Old July 28th 03, 05:16 PM
Karen Chuplis

"Five Cats" wrote in message