Bewa coyotes killing cats

Old June 13th 04, 07:42 PM
Laura R.

circa Sun, 13 Jun 2004 13:02:41 -0400, in alt.cats, grumpus
) said,
You must be a troller because you seem to have no problem with hitting the
cat and in fact seem to be proud of it. You can call me names but it will
only shows how immature and unfeeling you really are. I think you are
disgusting!

We dont care what you think. Your inability to see the cookable of your
feline parasites shows your intellectual limitations.Or I'm kidding. Who
cares what you think.

What's a "cookable"? Not that I disagree that CP is a wingnut, I'm
just wondering what you mean by the above.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

Old July 6th 04, 06:39 PM

"TCS" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:56:02 GMT, gertrude wrote:
There's something worse for housecats than coyotes: immature cougars that
are too young to prey on deer. See
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/05/odds_cat.htm

And about 18 months ago there was a case in Washington state of a pair of
sub-adult cougars travelling together who were after a man's dog while

the
man and dog were at his lake property. One of those cougars had a dead
housecat in its mouth. The guy went back to his truck, pulled out a

pistol,
and shot both cougars dead. According to the interview of some law
enforcement official the guy was within his rights. Personally, I think

the
guy could've driven off the two cougars. Killing them shouldn't have been
necessary. What an AH :-(

Have you ever tried to drive off a pair of cougers?
Do you think you could aim a gun to disable at an animal lunging for your
throat at 50mph? Twice?
Easier said than done.

As a two pound cat is obviously superior in strength to a dog many times
it's size so a Cougar will be to you puny human that they could kill in
seconds if you didn't have a weapon. The Native Americans may have lived
with these animals for fifteen thousand years... but as the iceman in
Austria showed... they didn't leave the house without a bow and arrows, a
large knife and a stone club - and a shorter life expectancy I suspect.

It's only because of guns and a pack of hunting dogs that cougars at one
time feared us. Without a gun and a pack of dogs at our command we are
nothing compared to them.

It is interesting the cougar had a dead housecat in it's mouth. Is that
considered cannablism? Is a Mountain Lion eating a house cat cannablism
since they are both feline animals? It sure is kinda creepy all the same. I
think seeing a large cat eat a smaller cat would turn my stomach. Yech!

I do think the guy could have fired a few shots in front of them to see if
the noise would do it first. I think if they were just passing though it was
sad their were killed. However, I think it wouldn't be safe for the man to
have two Cougars hunting as a team right outside his front door if they were
stalking his dog right into the front door of the cabin. There are limits.
What about the man's love for his dog and the dog itself? What about the
housecat? I feel sad for the house cat.

I agree it is sad about the Cougars. But I agree it would be hard to drive
two cougars away with what? A stick? They might just go ahead and kill the
man for kicks.

Old July 7th 04, 07:24 AM
-L. :

TCS wrote in message ...
On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:56:02 GMT, gertrude wrote:
There's something worse for housecats than coyotes: immature cougars that
are too young to prey on deer. See
http://www.boston.com/news/daily/05/odds_cat.htm

And about 18 months ago there was a case in Washington state of a pair of
sub-adult cougars travelling together who were after a man's dog while the
man and dog were at his lake property. One of those cougars had a dead
housecat in its mouth. The guy went back to his truck, pulled out a pistol,
and shot both cougars dead. According to the interview of some law
enforcement official the guy was within his rights. Personally, I think the
guy could've driven off the two cougars. Killing them shouldn't have been
necessary. What an AH :-(

Have you ever tried to drive off a pair of cougers?

Dude didn't have to. He was able to get to his truck - all he had to
do is drive away. Only assholes kill wild animals for being wild
animals.

Do you think you could aim a gun to disable at an animal lunging for your
throat at 50mph? Twice?
Easier said than done.

Doesn't sound like that is what happened. I'd like to read the whole
article, if it is even true, which I doubt.

-L.

Old August 26th 04, 08:11 PM
Orchid

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:08:02 GMT, koyaanisqatsi
wrote:

I will be moving to the country in Western New York. I have no choice. I fear that my Jaws
will be taken by a coyote. I can try to keep him inside, but he like to be out at night.

And young children like to eat nothing but ice cream --
sometimes you have to make another creature do something it doesn't
want to in order for that creature to be healthy.

Maybe
the completely new environment will make him prefer to stay indoors. And my mother's cat
is living up there outside full time right now. Since my mother died, no one has been able to
get close to him. I'll do what I can to protect the cats, but they will have to be clever enough
to avoid coyotes. There are a few there now, but they have no natural predator that I know
of in the east.

You mean other than bobcats, foxes, Great Horned Owls and
black bears?

Orchid
See Orchid's Kitties! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/bengalpage
Want a Purebred Cat? Read This! -- http://nik.ascendancy.net/orchid

Old August 26th 04, 09:17 PM
Sherry

Come on, Tim. You can't allow your cat to dictate where you live. And
moreover, coyotes are moving into areas that they did not previously inhabit,
including inner suburbs of Washington DC for example.

I will be moving to the country in Western New York. I have no choice. I fear
that my Jaws will be taken by a coyote. I can try to keep him inside, but he
like to be out at night. Maybe the completely new environment will make him
prefer to stay indoors. And my mother's cat is living up there outside full
time right now. Since my mother died, no one has been able to get close to
him. I'll do what I can to protect the cats, but they will have to be clever
enough to avoid coyotes.

You've just got to keep Jaws indoors at night and early morning hours if you
can't manage to keep him in 24/7. That's prime hunting hours for the coyote;
and they're most active in the early spring when they're mating. We have
coyotes but so far have never seen one in the daytime. You may be right about
the environment change making it easier to keep Jaws in without protest. That's
the way it was with mine when we moved. Good luck.

Sherry