We finally have a sofa!

Old August 26th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

Default We finally have a sofa!

On 2006-08-26 14:21:13 -0500, said:

mlbriggs wrote:
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:29:07 -0500, Pat wrote:

I just came from an auction here in town where I bought a comfortable and
not bad-looking sofa for only $20! I think the reason it went for so little
was they left it until the very end, by which time most of the other buyers
had either already left or had spent their money on other stuff.

I've been looking for a decent and affordable sofa ever since I moved to
town, so I am really thrilled. But that's not all - I also got two tables
for another buck, and a box of *cotton* area rugs for $2!! Rugs like these
cost around $20 apiece new at Walmart, and there are three of them in the
box!

So I'm happy as a pig in slop tonight, and tomorrow if I can find a way to
bring the stuff home, the cats will finally have a place to sleep other than
the floor, the cat condo, my desk chair and my bed. I'm sure they'll be just
as thrilled as I am!

Way back when -- my mother bought a sofa from the sister of one of my
friends. This was during WWII After a good brushing, I ran my hands
down the sides and back. I found $4.36 in change. It's worth a try!
MLB

Whoa! Good idea to check for change. :-)
I bought a pair of denim shorts at a garage sale for fifty cents once,
and found a $5 bill in the pocket. That was the best deal I ever made.
:-)

Sherry

I heard a story on NPR about a guy who felt guilty about all this money
he made selling weapons. He couldn't stand it anymore, so finally he
stuffed it into all his furniture and tv and stuff and sat out on the
curb with a friend, swore the friend not to tell and tried to sell the
stuff to anyone who came by, super super cheap. I always wondered if
people found the money. One lady bought the couch and said she was
going to throw out the cushions (where the money was stuffed) and make
new ones. The friend kept saying "Oh you should just recover those". He
was so forceful the lady started to give him strange looks so he had to
back off. Do you suppose people found the money?

Old August 26th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In news:2006082614404616807%kchuplis@alltelnet,
Karen purred:
On 2006-08-26 14:21:13 -0500, said:

mlbriggs wrote:
[...]

Some maybe, some not.

But the weirdest issue about money from guns is the Winchester house near
San Francisco. Widow Winchester was so afraid of the ghost of the people
kiled by the guns made by hubby, she made shrinking rooms, stairs that went
nowhere, doors that opened to nothing....

Old August 26th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

There are some great buys out there on nice used furniture.

I could really use another couch. The one I have now is just not very
comfortable. It was hand-built by a non-professional, and it creaks
whenever I sit on it. Also, the cushions are very hard.

I'm not willing to buy a new one - I just can't see spending, at the
very lowest, most deeply discounted price, $700, or, more likely, much
more. For a *couch*? I would like to be more comfy, but I do not need
anything really fancy. Let's face it, whatever I buy is going to merge
with cat fur and get scratched, so it might as well not start out
pristine. So, a used couch sounds like the best plan.

Can anyone recommend a store that *delivers* used furniture? I live
alone and don't know people who have vehicles large enough to transport
a couch. I have friends, but most of them are decrepit like me and
can't carry couches up the stairs. I guess I could pay someone to do
it for me if I can't find a store that does delivery.

This would have to be a chain store, naturally, unless Sandy from
Concord (or is it sandra? I'm sorry, I always get you two confused)
knows of some place local.

Thanks,
Joyce
Old August 26th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Magic Mood Jeep?" wrote:

But the weirdest issue about money from guns is the Winchester house near
San Francisco. Widow Winchester was so afraid of the ghost of the people
kiled by the guns made by hubby, she made shrinking rooms, stairs that went
nowhere, doors that opened to nothing....

I've always heard that she believed that if she kept building onto the
house that she wouldn't die, or something like that. She pretty much lost
it after her husband died.

Joyce
Old August 27th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

Congrats on the find!

My sofa came from another member at my old squadron. He had bought it
for when his father in law visited (it had a pull out bed). His father
in law came over ONCE, slept on this sofa for ONE NIGHT, and didn't
come back again...ever! After ten years the guy was tired of having a
huge extra sofa in his house.

And I was sitting in my living room in a lawn chair to watch TV!

I offered him $50 for it but all he wanted was "the damn thing out of
my house" so I have a big, fluffy, soft sofa with a pull out bed, and
the guy even delivered it! I have had it for 5 years now. It is
starting to show its age a bit but I forsee keeping it for atleast
another 5 years. It is great to have the pull out double bed for
company.

--Fil

I just came from an auction here in town where I bought a comfortable
and not bad-looking sofa for only $20! I think the reason it went
for so little was they left it until the very end, by which time most
of the other buyers had either already left or had spent their money
on other stuff.

Congrats on the sofa. There are yard sales all around here selling sofas
and chairs due to divorces, etc. You can usually get some good deals at
yard sales.

Jill

Old August 27th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Enfilade" wrote

Congrats on the find!

Thanks.

My sofa came from another member at my old squadron. He had bought it
for when his father in law visited (it had a pull out bed). His father
in law came over ONCE, slept on this sofa for ONE NIGHT, and didn't
come back again...ever! After ten years the guy was tired of having a
huge extra sofa in his house.

And I was sitting in my living room in a lawn chair to watch TV!

That's what I've been doing since March, LOL.

I offered him $50 for it but all he wanted was "the damn thing out of
my house" so I have a big, fluffy, soft sofa with a pull out bed, and
the guy even delivered it! I have had it for 5 years now. It is
starting to show its age a bit but I forsee keeping it for atleast
another 5 years. It is great to have the pull out double bed for
company.

There's a used furniture store about 1/4 mile from where I live. The owner,
Frank, bought the electric stove and the old A/C unit that came with this
house. Frank goes to auctions in outlying areas and buys for his store, so I
told him I was looking for a decent sofa, but it had to be really
inexpensive, and NOT with a bed, as they are way too heavy for me to shift
around. All the sofas in his store since March have been the kind with
pull-out beds, and a few that were so ugly and dirty that I wouldn't take
them as gifts. He wasn't at this auction Friday night but if he had been
there I know he wouldn't have bid on *my* sofa. He's a nice guy and he likes
me, but unfortunately he's not my type.

Old August 27th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-26, Pat penned:
I just came from an auction here in town where I bought a
comfortable and not bad-looking sofa for only $20! I think the
reason it went for so little was they left it until the very end, by
which time most of the other buyers had either already left or had
spent their money on other stuff.

I've been looking for a decent and affordable sofa ever since I
moved to town, so I am really thrilled. But that's not all - I also
got two tables for another buck, and a box of *cotton* area rugs for
$2!! Rugs like these cost around $20 apiece new at Walmart, and
there are three of them in the box!

So I'm happy as a pig in slop tonight, and tomorrow if I can find a
way to bring the stuff home, the cats will finally have a place to
sleep other than the floor, the cat condo, my desk chair and my bed.
I'm sure they'll be just as thrilled as I am!

Wow, Pat. The deals you manage to find are always astounding. I'm
sure you'll be much more comfortable with a sofain the house, too =)

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 27th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-26, Mischief penned:

I'm looking for a new sofa too.

Me too. We actually have two couches in our house. The one in the TV
room is from my single days. DH absolutely hates it because there's a
pillow-type effect at head and neck level that kind of forces your
head forward, but he hates spending big money even more.

Then there's another one in the bay window at the front of the house.
It was free from friends, but it still has some of their dog's fur,
and the center cushion has a hole on both sides, so you can't hide it.

Pretty sure both of these couches would send you into an instant
asthma attack, Kristi. Too much pet history!

I have plans to buy an L-shaped sectional couch for the living room
and move my old couch to the bay window, and give away the hand me
down couch ... but sectionals are expensive! Youch! We'll see. We
(mostly I) actually have a lot of home improvement plans, but it's one
thing to say "I want a new bed" and another to actually come to grips
with spending the money to get what you want. Meh.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 27th 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2006-08-26, Karen penned:

No IKEA. I hear everyone talk about it, but have never seen one. I'm
aiming for a new sofa and chair next year, but everytime I go
looking, the furniture I see is just much too huge.

Ikea is great. Don't think there's one anywhere near here, either,
but I loved their stuff when I was in VA.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old August 27th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Karen wrote:

No IKEA. I hear everyone talk about it, but have never seen one. I'm
aiming for a new sofa and chair next year, but everytime I go looking,
the furniture I see is just much too huge.

Here in Finland they have an online store, too, so you can just order
stuff. Of course, I'd rather try out a piece of furniture first,
especially something big, like a sofa.

OMG, I'm finally online! badwilson Cat anecdotes 29 May 8th 06 01:02 AM
Maui finally caved!! ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ Cat anecdotes 7 July 1st 05 05:04 PM
Sofa Saturday! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 15 May 31st 05 04:26 AM
question about cats and leather sofa ms. tonya Cat health & behaviour 9 January 3rd 05 12:05 AM
Persia scratching the sofa jmcquown Cat anecdotes 10 May 8th 04 09:57 PM