AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Old October 31st 04, 03:25 PM
Sunflower

Ask your local animal shelter how long their hold time is. Typically,
that's the time period that anyone has to claim a stray anywhere. Usually
it's 5 days, some places less, some more. Put Found posters up *without*
identifying that he is a siamese. Just the sex, intact, basic color (tan and
brown legs says siamese to anyone who is looking) and where he was found. A
purebred can draw the nutsos. Keep checking back with animal control or
other agencies that accept in strays. Go ahead and make the vet appointment
for the end of the 5 days and keep it. If any owners appear post hold
period time, and have a good story to tell as to why he was outside in the
condition he was in, then they can pay you for the needed vet services and
claim him. A valuable show cat wouldn't be out wandering around anyway, and
you'd probably keep a potential BYB from adding more by neutering him. If
any show up post claim period that you wouldn't be comfortable letting him
to them to sue you to get him back. Most folks that would let a cat get in
that condition aren't really attached enough to the cat to want to pay the
vet bills, much less sue you to get him back.

My old woman cat is sitting in the computer chair and grouchily and vocally
refuses to give me but the very edge of it, but she sends her Mrrrwows to
your new rescue. She once lived in a hardware store in the lumber
department and has never looked back once she came home. Ping won't either.
But, you still have one to go to equal my nine psycho kitty rejects from
polite society. g

Old October 31st 04, 05:54 PM
Magic Mood Jeep©

I have made some fliers up, with a pic, I am NOT deleting the part about him
being at least part Siamese, but I did leave out the "intact" and "flea
collar" bits, just that he had no tags. I am posting the general area where
we live, our phone # and my email address. Our vet does not have microchip
scanner, so I will probably ask if they can scan for that at the local
humane society. I will aslo post a flier there about him, and at our vets,
local grocery stores & canvas nearby neighborhoods.

One thing that crossed my mind: a couple of months ago our next door
neighbor passed away, and we found out he had a cat. I never saw the cat, &
don't know how long he'd had it, but his brother, when he came over to thank
us for card/flowers sent to the funeral home (and to ask if some workers
could get in our yard to cut down a dead tree that was just on their side of
the property line), told us that just *three days* before he died, our
neighbor mad arrangements for someone to care for the cat if something
happened to him. Our neighbor was only in his 50's and had heart problems.
Maybe this was his cat???.

Also, he is getting friendlier by the minute and wants in. Has taken to
laying just outside our front door, on the cold hard front porch floor, so I
put a small (and mostly unused) cat-bed there, and last I looked, he was
snuggled up in it. He seems to be snorting a bit when he breathes, so he
may have a cold. I will call our vet tomorrow to have him checked out (FIV
& FeLV), so we can see if he can be integrated with ours. If in a couple of
weeks no calls or emails result he will get snipped and I guess we keep him.

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
DH & I did some major grocery (and other supply) shopping this
morning. As soon as we got all perishables put away in the
fridge/freezer, we heard this terrible cat yeowling. Looked for our
Seven - Only one missing was Weeble - he was in the closet, and
wanted out. All kitties accounted for. More yeowling. We think
MamaKat! Is she hurt, in a fight....? We exit the house, and part,
each going a different way, in order to circle the house quicker.
Nothing - not even a wascally wabbit or screwy skwerl. Check the
road near the house for an injured critter - nada. Go back inside
and get ready to do the tile on the enclosed back porch (it did have
this gawd-awful 60's psychedelic green floral disgustingly cheap
carpet down, that I've hated since we moved in 10 years ago - we
finally pulled it up last weekend to find that A} the padding had
disintegrated into a fine Martian powder and B} there was equally
disgusting green & white LINOLEUM tile underneath that! We removed
that too, got down to the bare cement).
More yeowling followed. We think: Basement???? Something came in
through the d*ggie-door!!! Grab a broom & a flashlight (torch for
you over to the east of the pond) and go down to the dimly lit
basement. Yeowl.... yeowl.... yeowl... DH heads for the farthest
away from the stairs, but my ears have already tuned in & I head to
the left. From behind the furnace comes a Siamese kitty - tan with
very dark brown (almost black) ears, feet & tail. Wearing a collar -
a chintzy flea collar (and not the breakaway kind) - that's too
tight. Not very old (about a year), and kinda thin. DH doesn't want
me to carry it (actually an intact him), but I have a hold of it, I
take flashlight with one hand, and he reaches for cat, I then take
the broom & he scoops up kitty. He's skittish, but not fighting us
either. I lead DH up the stairs, sweeping dog away from him & kitty,
then sweeping seven cats away, to the enclosed front porch. I go get
a dish of food (the cheap stuff we feed the strays) and a dish of
water. There's still an old litterbox up front (was Weeble & FF's
first *real* litterbox), so I go put some in it and bring it back. By this
time, DH has cut the too-tight collar off the kitty, and has
started calling him "Ping" - not sure if that's his name, but he
seems to respond to it. Of course, he's Siamese, so he responds to
ANY vocalization he thinks is made to him with more of his yeowling. We
have a spare dose of Frontline Plus, so he gets that on him -
takes it without any struggle. By this time I'm able to take a
breath and watch him for a minute - he's chowing down on the food
(dry with a couple pouches of moist on top) and yeowling at the same
time... it's a funny sound, like he's drowning.
So, I have posted on the local Humane Society's website about him (we
took a few quick pics), and have made up a flier to post around
nearby & also at the Humane Society and probably at a couple of vet's
offices nearby.
Purrs please that we find his slaves... but I'm sorta hoping we
don't, for if they let him loose with a too-tight collar, or just let
him go long enough for the collar to get that tight, maybe it's best
that he stays here? That would make our count an even eight. How
long does one wait for his slaves to claim??? He needs to be vetted,
and since he's not neutered.... do we have him neutered anyway??? What if
the 'owners' try to sue because we had him neutered - do they
have any claim???? Any info on this would be greatly helpful.

BTW - piccies posted on alt.binaries.pictures.animals.

--?
The ONE and ONLY

Old October 31st 04, 09:08 PM
Irulan

Admit it, some cat in the neighborhood has let out the secret that the best
home in the area is yours.
Hope you find his slaves, or better still, keep him. His yours. What's one
more?
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old October 31st 04, 09:45 PM
Yowie

Congrats on the new kitty. Must be that secret sign again :-)

Yowie

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message

snip

From behind the furnace
comes a Siamese kitty - tan with very dark brown (almost black) ears, feet

&
tail. Wearing a collar - a chintzy flea collar (and not the breakaway
kind) - that's too tight. Not very old (about a year), and kinda thin.

DH
doesn't want me to carry it (actually an intact him), but I have a hold of
it, I take flashlight with one hand, and he reaches for cat, I then take

the
broom & he scoops up kitty. He's skittish, but not fighting us either.

snip

---

Old October 31st 04, 09:47 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:

Purrs please that we find his slaves... but I'm sorta hoping we don't, for
if they let him loose with a too-tight collar, or just let him go long
enough for the collar to get that tight, maybe it's best that he stays here?
That would make our count an even eight. How long does one wait for his
slaves to claim??? He needs to be vetted, and since he's not neutered....
do we have him neutered anyway??? What if the 'owners' try to sue because
we had him neutered - do they have any claim???? Any info on this would be
greatly helpful.

I'm no attorney, but I imagine it would depend upon whether
or not he's a thoroughbred (with papers) and the owners
could claim they had planned to breed him. (Although I
can't imagine anyone being that careless with a potentially
valuable - in a monetary sense - "possession".)

Old October 31st 04, 11:23 PM
Tanada

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:

Purrs please that we find his slaves... but I'm sorta hoping we don't, for
if they let him loose with a too-tight collar, or just let him go long
enough for the collar to get that tight, maybe it's best that he stays here?
That would make our count an even eight. How long does one wait for his
slaves to claim??? He needs to be vetted, and since he's not neutered....
do we have him neutered anyway??? What if the 'owners' try to sue because
we had him neutered - do they have any claim???? Any info on this would be
greatly helpful.

BTW - piccies posted on alt.binaries.pictures.animals.

I saw Ping's picture on ABPA and fell in lurve. He's gorgeous, and has
a lot of catitude. Purrs and best outcome wishes for you all.

Pam, Rob, and the Fayetteville Seven + Smokey, or whatever his name is,
and Eshiky the d-thing