OT - Summer Reading?

Old June 18th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default OT - Summer Reading?

I've always got a book going since Dad got sick and I spent so much
time in
hospitals and waiting rooms. My usual criteria is something NOT too
deep.
I'd rather not have to work at keeping up, LOL.
My favorite so far has been "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris.
If you're not familiar with this author, he's got a wonderful gift for
humor. I was
laughing so hard once that DH looked over at me and said, "Nothing can
be THAT funny." But it is.
Also have read "Chosen By a Horse" by Susan Richards. Highly
recommend.
"Dinner With A Perfect Stranger" and am in the middle of "White
Oleander".
I started "I know This Much is True' but hated it and quit 1/4 of the
way through.

Stephen King (who I used to read, but not anymore)....was once
referred to as
"The McDonald's of Literature" because they were such an easy read.
That's
kind of what I like these days. An easy read, something besides "Your
Gall Bladder and You". I don't read so much at home. I'd rather cross
stitch
or quilt.
Sherry

On Jun 17, 10:05*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
Anybody here planning on spending the hot days of summer inside in the A/C
reading instead of outside sweating?

I know we've covered this subject before, but we have some new people here
and I'd like their input as well, so....

What are you planning to read? *What have you already read that you'd
recommend for some *light* summer reading? *What's your favorite genre? Who
are your favorite authors?

My favorite genre is science fiction. *I have a few books by John Ringo (he
wrote the "Posleen" series and the "March to the Sea" series) and a new
"Flinx" book by Alan Dean Foster that I'm planning on reading (I love ADF's
"humanx" universe).

Some of my favorite authors are Spider Robinson ("Stardance" trilogy), Alan
Dean Foster, Robert Heinlein ("Stranger in a Strange Land"), Isaac Asimov
("I Robot"), Ben Bova, David Brin, Robert L. Forward, Greg Bear, Gregroy
Benford, Orson Scott Card, Julie E. Czerneda, Harlan Ellison, David Gerrold,
Arthur C. Clarke ("Rendezvous With Rama"), Ursula K. LeGuin ("The Left Hand
of Darkness"), Anne McCaffrey, Vondra N. McIntyre ("Dreamsnake", "Of Mist,
Grass, and Sand"), Larry Niven ("Ringworld"), Charles Sheffield, S.L. Viehl,
and John Varley to name only a few.

Your turn! *;

Old June 18th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Joy"
"Kyla =^. .^=`"

"Enfilade"
Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' books?

No, never heard of her.

If you like sci-fi, I highly recommend her "Wess'har Wars" series
starting with "City of Pearl."

I also enjoyed Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and its sequel...waiting for
the third in paperback.

I'm currently reading "Battle at the Moons of Hell" by Graham Sharp
Paul, and then going to Kent's "The Clone Rebellion."

--Stormy

I'm into mysteries and short stories.
Never heard of any of the above authors, but thanks
Have you ever heard of Polly Samson? She's a writer in the UK.
Hug
Kyla

I like sci fi, but mysteries are my real love. What authors do you like,
Kyla?

Joy

Polly Samson, Stephen King, J.A. Jance, Stuart Woods,
V.C. Andrews. Larry Niven, Jerry Pornel (sp),
I have a wide variety of authors I like
Thank you for asking.
Hug
Kyla

Old June 18th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`

"Sherry"

Stephen King (who I used to read, but not anymore)....was once
referred to as
"The McDonald's of Literature" because they were such an easy read.
That's kind of what I like these days. An easy read, something besides
"Your
Gall Bladder and You". I don't read so much at home. I'd rather cross
stitch or quilt.
Sherry

I used to cross stitch, in my youth. Made quite a few samplers.
I used to read a lot of Stephen King. I remember that one novel of short
stories, I can't recall the name of it ATM, but it had a bandaged hand on
the cover, but the creepiest story was called 'Ladyfingers' Very creepy.
Have you ever read a really funny book called How to Live With a Neroutic
Cat?
I can't recall the author, but it was so funny.
I hate to admit it, but I do most of my reading in the 'loo'.
Readers Digest is a good read too, but as my sight dims, I have to take my
thick glasses off to read. When I was in the hospital back in 2001, getting
the ol knees replaced, I had DH get me all the trashy Tabloids.
Haven't read one of them since G
No sweating here, it got up to 80 degrees F yesterday,
but it's not gonna get that high anytime again soon.
Fine with me, because I don't do well in high heat.
I have my own 'built in' heating system..aka hot flashes or
as I like to call them, 'power surges'
Hug
Kyla
--reading 'Flowers In The Attic' by V.C. Andrews for the 5th time.

On Jun 17, 10:05 am, "CatNipped" :

Old June 18th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 10:05:13 -0500, "CatNipped"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to the people here, I have read ALL of the Jim Butcher 'Dresden'
books, including the latest one "Small Favor" which came out in
hardcover in April. I was very fortunate to get it from the interlibrary
loan system in only a week or so.

My all time favorite author is Barbara Hambly.

I have read and reread 'The Darwath Trilogy' at least 6 times. The books
are "The Walls of Air", "The Time of the Dark" and "The Armies of
Daylight"

It's sword and sorcery in the genre of Tolkein, and every bit as good.

Sadly, they are out of print; but available on Amazon.com, and other
places on the 'net.

Her 4 book 'Dragon' series is even better. Absolutely the best fantasy
books I have ever read, save the grand master, Tolkein's trilogy.

Magic. Battle. Demons. (Lots of demons, especially later in the series)
Dragons. (Intelligent; *scary* intelligent dragons! Especially one...).

The Books are "Dragonbane", "Dragonshadow" "Night of the Demon Queen"
and "Dragonstar"

They too are now out of print, but can be found in the used book market,
on the 'net.

I'm going to be reading many more, new fantasy books, this summer.

I am very fortunate: my city is home to the largest science
fiction/fantasy book store in North America. And it's only about 4 miles
away. Tens of thousands of used books, all at half price.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

- Robert Heinlein

Old June 18th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Anybody here planning on spending the hot days of summer inside
in the A/C reading instead of outside sweating?

Currently reading The Memoir of A.C. Aitken, the New Zealand-born
statistician and all-round interesting guy (fought at Gallipoli,
excellent musician, given to mystical experiences and occasional
mental breakdowns).

Along with "Teach Yourself Hungarian", since my summer holidays are
going to me at a music and dance camp in a Hungarian-speaking area
of Romania (where it will certainly be very hot and where they don't
squander the planet's resources on A/C - that kind of waste is just
sick).

Also on the pile: Victoria Finlay's "Colour" (about where dyes and
pigments come from, a combination of social history and travel book),
John Berendt's "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" (upper-class
crime in the US South), William Burroughs's "Last Words" (diary often
featuring his cats), Stephen Oppenheimer's "Eden in the East" (about
the flooded subcontinent of south-east Asia), three of William
Dalrymple's books about India, and Roy Moxham's "The Great Hedge of
India" (about a particularly nasty and mean-spirited bit of British
imperialist tyranny). I don't read much fiction these days but
might get round to Suhayl Saadi's "Psychoraag" (weird book about
Asian culture in Glasgow, like a more streetwise Salman Rushdie),
David Mitchell's "Cloud Atlas" (sorta-historical-novel combined with
futurist angles) and Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Norrell and Mr Strange"
(maybe the only book on my list that might also feature on the SF ones
other people are suggesting).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old June 18th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
[...]

Stephen King has a gift that most writers would -- and do-- envy. I'm a big
literature snob-- I was an English major in college and read the best of
everything. I'm not always crazy about the uses that King puts his gift to,
but he is a wonderful writer. The envy part is that is comes so easily to
him-- it just flows out of him-- I think that's what makes some literary
people absolutely crazy. Even for writers, writing isn't easy, and most
sweat over every word.

His books are easy to read because they are well-written. I was (and I'm
not proud of this) bored on the subway, and peeking at a fellow passenger's
paperback, saw a really lovely description of a landscape. It was wonderful
prose, and I immediately thought, "Hey, who wrote this?" It was Stephen
King.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old June 18th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message
Have you ever read any of Karen Traviss' books?

If you like sci-fi, I highly recommend her "Wess'har Wars" series
starting with "City of Pearl."

I also enjoyed Scalzi's "Old Man's War" and its sequel...waiting for
the third in paperback.

I'm currently reading "Battle at the Moons of Hell" by Graham Sharp
Paul, and then going to Kent's "The Clone Rebellion."

--Stormy

I'll have to check those out. I love Science Fiction "war stories". Have
you read Tanya Tucker's "Valor" series ("The Better Part of Valor" and two
others)?

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 18th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
I've always got a book going since Dad got sick and I spent so much
time in
hospitals and waiting rooms. My usual criteria is something NOT too
deep.
I'd rather not have to work at keeping up, LOL.
My favorite so far has been "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris.
If you're not familiar with this author, he's got a wonderful gift for
humor. I was
laughing so hard once that DH looked over at me and said, "Nothing can
be THAT funny." But it is.
Also have read "Chosen By a Horse" by Susan Richards. Highly
recommend.
"Dinner With A Perfect Stranger" and am in the middle of "White
Oleander".
I started "I know This Much is True' but hated it and quit 1/4 of the
way through.

Yep, I read that one and "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb on the
recommendation of a friend - he's a hard author to read, he doesn't make his
characters at all likeable.

Stephen King (who I used to read, but not anymore)....was once
referred to as
"The McDonald's of Literature" because they were such an easy read.
That's
kind of what I like these days. An easy read, something besides "Your
Gall Bladder and You". I don't read so much at home. I'd rather cross
stitch
or quilt.
Sherry

I hear you! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 18th 08, 04:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"Sherry" wrote in message
I've always got a book going since Dad got sick and I spent so much
time in
hospitals and waiting rooms. My usual criteria is something NOT too
deep.
I'd rather not have to work at keeping up, LOL.

=====================

May I suggest the Mossy Creek series? Light, usually, happy endings,
always, can be read a many levels, and well written. This series is 6+
books of anthologies written from the view points of various characters by
several authors and has a sense of humor. I like the series as the books
can be put down and picked up again as desired. The first book includes a
story about how Bob the Chihuahua gets eagle napped. Also stories about
Amos the police chief, Big Ida the mayor of Mossy Creek who is a woman with
ATTITUDE, and more. I picked up the first book on a whim and became hooked.

Pam S. who would recommend the Dresden Files series but it is really dark,
though the cat is pretty awesome

Old June 18th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've always got a book going since Dad got sick and I spent so much
time in hospitals and waiting rooms. My usual criteria is something
NOT too deep, I'd rather not have to work at keeping up, LOL.

I have kinda the opposite angle. When I've been in hospital as
a patient I prefer something weird and complicated. Last time
but one, I took in Hermann Broch's "The Death of Virgil", which
is as dense as novels get (though with a detour via a true-crime
magazine about Pretty Boy Floyd while I was coming round from
the anaesthetic).

Last time I took my electronic bagpipes and Logan's Tutor for the
Highland Bagpipe. See one of the last pictures in this sequence:
http://www.campin.me.uk/Music/DegerPipe/

One *fabulous* hospital book is Russell Hoban's "Kleinzeit".
Very, very funny.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====