not quite OT....

Old June 22nd 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default not quite OT....

"Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote in message
. ..

"Irulan"
A judge in New York has taken 10 million dollars which was
inherited by hotel mistress Leona Helmsley's pet dog and
distributed the money to 2 of her grandchildren who were
left out of her will. The dog inherited a total of 12 million from
Helmsley who wanted the money to go to charity if/when the
dog died. The judge did leave 2 million for the dog's upkeep.

Leona Helmsley, who also owned The Empire State Building
was a mean crass woman who treated people like crap.
Shame on her.

If I decide to leave all I have in my will to a wild animal hospital I will
do it. I would not expect it to be overturned in favour of my brothers
(who, quite frankly, don't deserve it, but that is another story)

Tweed

Old June 22nd 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

That is how I figured it, if she had wanted to give them something, she
would have said so!!!!. How dare any judge do that.
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
That should be adequate for a lifetime's upkeep for the dog, but maybe
Ms. Helmsley didn't WANT to leave anything to her relatives! I have (I

My will clearly states that anybody not mentioned in it does not get a
dime.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 22nd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Getting stolen from is bad enough but, when it is family, it just........
After my husband died, I found he had signed a $2500.00 loan for my step
daughter. I called her about it and asked if she could pay any on the
credit card he used. She said "how dumb can you get, if I had any money, I
wouldn't have needed a loan?"
"hopitus" wrote in message
On Jun 21, 3:49 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
hopitus wrote:
On Jun 20, 8:21 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Irulan wrote:
A judge in New York has taken 10 million dollars which was
inherited by hotel mistress Leona Helmsley's pet dog and
distributed the money to 2 of her grandchildren who were
left out of her will. The dog inherited a total of 12 million from
Helmsley who wanted the money to go to charity if/when the
dog died. The judge did leave 2 million for the dog's upkeep.
That should be adequate for a lifetime's upkeep for the dog, but maybe
Ms. Helmsley didn't WANT to leave anything to her relatives! I have
(I
hope) made it plain in MY will that the niece who ripped me off for
some
$50,000 in CD's (by managing to get her name on as joint owner) will
get
no more from me! (Assuming I have anything to leave, after taking that
large a hit!)

I remember your posts about the theft from your out-of-town bank
accounts
awhile back. Glad you at least got to the bottom of that business.

"Got to the bottom", yes - but not got the money back. Because her name
was on the accounts (and her mother is dead, so cannot testify that she
didn't authorize it) the police could do nothing. The District Attorney
there thought I'd stand a good change of getting a judgment for at least
half the money, but since it would mean hiring an attorney and traveling
to Wisconsin (from Arizona) when the case got to court, I figured I'd
better quit without sending good money after bad. (And a "judgment"
wouldn't guarantee I'd ever see any of the money!)

Oh, you're right about that! But I dunno about AZ but up here in your
neighboring square (LOL) state, when people don't pay their court-
ordered
judgments, warrants are issued, defendant is put into custody, and if
judgment not paid on spot (in court) and/or judge is in bad mood, its
the slammer for at least 30 days or more......just trying to help. You
may not want to do this, I realize.

Old June 22nd 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Irulan wrote:
A judge in New York has taken 10 million dollars which was
inherited by hotel mistress Leona Helmsley's pet dog and
distributed the money to 2 of her grandchildren who were
left out of her will. The dog inherited a total of 12 million from
Helmsley who wanted the money to go to charity if/when the
dog died. The judge did leave 2 million for the dog's upkeep.

That should be adequate for a lifetime's upkeep for the dog, but maybe
Ms. Helmsley didn't WANT to leave anything to her relatives! I have
(I hope) made it plain in MY will that the niece who ripped me off
for some $50,000 in CD's (by managing to get her name on as joint
owner) will get no more from me! (Assuming I have anything to leave,
after taking that large a hit!)

I totally agree! If Ms. Helmsley wanted those grandkids to have $10 million
she'd have left it to them. It bugs me no end that disgruntled (read:
greedy) family members can contest a valid will. They probably never did a
thing for Ms. Helmsley when she was alive other than sit around counting the
$$ they anticipated receiving upon her death.

Jill

Old June 22nd 08, 02:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Granby wrote:
Getting stolen from is bad enough but, when it is family, it
just........ After my husband died, I found he had signed a $2500.00
loan for my step daughter. I called her about it and asked if she
could pay any on the credit card he used. She said "how dumb can you
get, if I had any money, I wouldn't have needed a loan?"

I'm so sorry about the loan. This is the kind of thing that winds up on
those TV Judge shows. I don't care *who* you loan money to. If it's truly
a loan get a signed promissory note and specifically spell out the terms
under which (and when) the loan is to be repaid. I once loaned my oldest
brother a modest sum but I made him sign a note indicating he'd pay it back
on X date (his then payday) then made sure I collected on that date. One
thing some people seem to do (even if they have a promissory note) is to let
the pay-back date slide due to this or that excuse... if you do that for too
long it may be construed you never intended it to be repaid in the first
place.

Jill

Old June 22nd 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

I didn't even know it was done and my name was on the card. You can't prove
a thing when there is no longer anyone to argue with. You can bet I won't
loan anything to anyone.
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..

Old June 22nd 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Irulan wrote:
[...]

The problem is that the bank the money was stolen from is in Wisconsin,
the niece lives in Minnesota, and I live in Arizona. Suit would have to
be brought in the state where the theft took place (Wisconsin) and it
just seems too much of a hassle when I can't be SURE of the outcome.
(True, it's an awful lot of money to lose, but considering that I am now
retired and living on a limited fixed income, and realizing how much a
lawsuit might cost, with no guarantee I'd get any of the stolen money
back, it just seems best to cut my losses.) "Leave her to Heaven" - she
pretends to be such a devout Christian, I'd sure like to be peering over
St. Peter's shoulder when she arrives at the Pearly Gates!
Old June 23rd 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte' =^. .^=`

How crass of her to do that to you :/...
If you weren't afraid to fly, I'd take her sorry arse to Judge Judy.
(filmed in NY)
You'd get your money back.
HUG
Kyla
"Granby"

Old June 23rd 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte' =^. .^=`

Do you still have any credit card receipts?
I'll bet you can get them from the Credit card company.
I'm so sorry you're going thri this
"Granby"