OT - Suicide a Sin?

Old May 22nd 09, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

Default OT - Suicide a Sin?

bless your heart tweed, Lee
"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"CatEyes" wrote in message
Sorry for the dark topic, but I know a lot of you here suffer from
depression, so you may have thought about this and come to some
conclusions. It's something that's been on my mind a lot lately.

(snippage)

I don't even want to know why you're asking.

A Sin? No. I'm not religious in any traditional sense of the word so
that word holds no meaning for me. Morally wrong? Absolutely.

Depression isn't an excuse to kill yourself. There are medications (even
herbal OTC) to help with that. My LLL's father did the murder/suicide
thing. Shot his second wife then put the gun to his head. He was left
to deal with the consequences, including informing his mother her
ex-husband had killed his wife and himself. 30 years later he's still
feeling guilty, thinking he should have known his father needed help.
Thinking there should have been something he could have done. It's a
horrible thing to do to your family and friends. Which is what makes it
morally reprehesensible. IMHO, of course.

Unless you suffer from diagnosed depression yourself and understand it
which maybe you don't, awful things can happen with it as we just see in
your post.

Tweed

Old May 22nd 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatEyes

"Stormmee" wrote in message
I got one post past yours to see how the conversation went. i had forgotten
this is a new computer and i hadn't used the kill file button in this group
yet.

it would be hard on the family that is true, but rather than berate you or
make you "bad" for having such thoughts i would ask that you seek help, I
know i am lte to this but if i don't try and respond positively to you, I
will get quite nasty to posters who i know i am going to return to my kill
file anyway, so instead.

see somebody and while this is a sensitive topic because of the many on
this group with depression issues and some who have had family members
take this option, i surely hope that you get some guidance... my only
requesti is that if anyone else wants to discuss such a topic perhap we
need a warning in the thread, for me the abuse warning helps me avoid
those, and in this instance i can see that while you are in obvious pain,
and in need of support this topic may cause others some considerable
upset, and as for the poster immediately after yours, the kill file has
done its job again,

please take care i am not sure if i will be able to read the entire thread
but i do wish you well,

Lee

Thank you, Lee. Used to be, quite some time ago, though, that anyone in
pain could come here and get help. I won't mention any names, that would be
unethical, but I know a lot of people here who suffer from depression, some
who have attempted to take their own lives, others who consider it now and
again. I've "talked down" more than a few people who were metaphorically
"on the ledge" myself.

I truly didn't mean to hurt anyone else with this thread, I just wanted to
"talk through" this personal dilemma I'm having, i.e. how do you live with
intractable pain when you can't end that pain without facing an eternity of
greater agony - where is the mercy in that? Working with this pain can only
be likened to deliberately holding your hand in a fire no matter how badly
it burns.

I know I can't change the workings of the universe or the Mind of our
Creator, but sometimes it all gets to be just too much and I have to scream
or cry or run to my friends for comfort. And there are still friends here
as you have shown with this post.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 22nd 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Stormmee" wrote in message
bless your heart tweed, Lee

I can only say that depression is the worst illness I ever had. My ovarian
cancer paled in comparison.

Tweed

Old May 22nd 09, 11:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

I can only say that depression is the worst illness I ever had. My
ovarian cancer paled in comparison.

I once read a memoir by a woman who said that during one period of her
life, she lived through extreme poverty and famine, and was on the verge
of starvation. At a completely separate time, she went through suicidal
depression. She said if she were forced to do either of them over again,
she'd pick the hunger.

Makes you realize how ignorant some people can be when they dismiss
depression as something a person can just "snap out of" if they just
make an effort and use some self-discipline. Of course, I already know
this because I've suffered from the big D myself. A lot of people really
don't get it, though.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 23rd 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

I can only say that depression is the worst illness I ever had. My
ovarian cancer paled in comparison.

I once read a memoir by a woman who said that during one period of her
life, she lived through extreme poverty and famine, and was on the verge
of starvation. At a completely separate time, she went through suicidal
depression. She said if she were forced to do either of them over again,
she'd pick the hunger.

Makes you realize how ignorant some people can be when they dismiss
depression as something a person can just "snap out of" if they just
make an effort and use some self-discipline. Of course, I already know
this because I've suffered from the big D myself. A lot of people really
don't get it, though.

No one can understand it unless they got it themselves. I would not wish it
on my worst enemy.

Tweed

Old May 23rd 09, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"CatEyes" wrote in message
"Stormmee" wrote in message
[...]

(((((((CatNipped))))))))

--

Joy

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo Dworken

Old May 23rd 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

I can only say that depression is the worst illness I ever had. My
ovarian cancer paled in comparison.

I once read a memoir by a woman who said that during one period of her
life, she lived through extreme poverty and famine, and was on the verge
of starvation. At a completely separate time, she went through suicidal
depression. She said if she were forced to do either of them over again,
she'd pick the hunger.

Makes you realize how ignorant some people can be when they dismiss
depression as something a person can just "snap out of" if they just
make an effort and use some self-discipline. Of course, I already know
this because I've suffered from the big D myself. A lot of people really
don't get it, though.

I think most people just assume "depression" means a period of intense
sadness (which of course is one dictionary definition). However, it's
more than that - one may not even recognize the symptoms in oneself -
lack of energy, apathy, social activities one would normally enjoy just
seem too much trouble, even managing one's everyday life seems to
require too much effort.... A friend of mine had once or twice
mentioned looking for a support group for depression, but whenever I saw
him, he seemed perfectly okay. After his death on his 69th birthday
(heart, not suicide), his family who came to California to see to his
effects discovered that he had been living in his house without hot
water from August until his death in November! (Not lack of money, just
that the act of calling a plumber had become too much effort.)

Old May 23rd 09, 07:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

I guess i fall back on the saying// "if he brings you to it he gets you
through it, that is the best i can do, Lee

Old May 23rd 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Wow. I think I remember that story. I'm sure some people would look at
your friend and call him "lazy". Many people are not willing to dig any
deeper than surface appearances.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 24th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On May 23, 2:40*pm, wrote:
*After his death on his 69th birthday
* (heart, not suicide), his family who came to California to see to his
* effects discovered that he had been living in his house without hot
* water from August until his death in November! *(Not lack of money, just
* that the act of calling a plumber had become too much effort.)

When I've been depressed if the hot water had gone off I'd have been
just the same. I remember bursting into tears because deciding what
to wear was too hard so I stayed in bed all day then sat around nude
in the evening.it felt like I was walking through some sort of semi-
solid air- you know when it's really hot and the air is still it can
sometimes feel hard to breathe...multiply that by about 100. At the
worst I was lying in bed, needed to use the toilet and there was a bit
of me that thought "I can always clean up the bed later"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs