HELP!!! My 2 year old is ruining an expensive leather couch

Old December 27th 04, 05:14 AM
Coyote Jack

Default HELP!!! My 2 year old is ruining an expensive leather couch

She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

She is spayed, but this started before she got spayed. The other 2
cats ignore the couch, other then to sleep on it. She is the middle
cat in the household, and gets along well with the other 2. She is
also the only female in the house. Gizmo is our oldest, and Tiger has
only been in the house a few months (AFTER Scooter started the peeing
on the couch)

Any suggestions will be welcome. You may e-mail me if you wish

Thanks

Coyote Jack
Old December 27th 04, 06:13 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Coyote Jack wrote:

She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter...

This is disgusting.

and I
kinda love the little brat.

Not even "kinda" apparently.

She is spayed, but this started before she got spayed. The other 2
cats ignore the couch, other then to sleep on it. She is the middle
cat in the household, and gets along well with the other 2. She is
also the only female in the house. Gizmo is our oldest, and Tiger has
only been in the house a few months (AFTER Scooter started the peeing
on the couch)

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Get rid of the couch. What were you thinking of, getting an expensive
couch when you have 3 cats?

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
Old December 27th 04, 06:33 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Coyote Jack" wrote in message
She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

I don't know, but... have you had her checked by the vet for a UTI, just in
case it's not behavioral? Cats who have UTI's use the litter box much of
the time, but then pee on what they feel is comfortable at other times.

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

I certainly hope it doens't come to that.

Cathy

Old December 27th 04, 06:35 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Priscilla Ballou" wrote in message

Get rid of the couch. What were you thinking of, getting an expensive
couch when you have 3 cats?

Well, in truth, the two *can* be compatible. But in his case, esp. if it's
behavioral (Vs. physical), maybe not.

Cathy

Old December 27th 04, 06:53 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-27, Coyote Jack penned:

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does not,
then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000 dollar litter
box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I kinda love the little
brat.

No, you have lots of options, including the decision that living things take
priority over inanimate objects and that pet responsibility is more than just
a nifty phrase.

That being said, I do think there are options. Have you tried a feliway
diffuser near the couch? Have you tried double-sided tape so that she will
dislike the feeling of stepping on the couch? Have you tried maybe putting a
scratching post nearby to distract her? What about, as a last resort, keeping
the cat away from the room with the couch?

Personally, while I love leather couches, I won't have one while I have a cat.
My cat is used to jumping up on the back of our couches, and just a few
clawmarks would be too upsetting, so I'll forego the pleasure.

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 27th 04, 07:08 AM
Phil P.

"Coyote Jack" wrote in message
She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

Perhaps you and/or your wife need to take a bath more often. One of you
might be leaving a "scent" on the couch.

Old December 27th 04, 05:54 PM
Mary

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Coyote Jack" wrote in message
She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

Perhaps you and/or your wife need to take a bath more often. One of you
might be leaving a "scent" on the couch.

hahahaha.

low five, Phil!

Old December 27th 04, 08:28 PM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:54:38 +0000, Mary wrote:

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Coyote Jack" wrote in message
She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

Perhaps you and/or your wife need to take a bath more often. One of you
might be leaving a "scent" on the couch.

hahahaha.

low five, Phil!

Buy a roll of plastic and cover the couch -- leave it on when not using
the couch. Cats usually don't like plastic and this (hopefully) will
train the cats not to get on the couch.

Old December 27th 04, 09:03 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Coyote Jack" wrote in message
She pees on it constantly. I have cleaned the leather, used a citrus
based cleaner to drive the cats away (We have a 3 cat household) and
done various other things including pherenomes...no good!

Scooter did not do this before we bought the couch. She will not pee
any where else...aka other furniture, and I see her use a litter box
(we have 3) all the time

WHY IS SHE DOING THIS?

My wife wants me to get a CatScram and see if that works. If it does
not, then I will have no option left (since we dont want a $3,000
dollar litter box) then to take her to a no-kill shelter... and I
kinda love the little brat.

Perhaps you and/or your wife need to take a bath more often. One of you
might be leaving a "scent" on the couch.

hahahaha.

low five, Phil!

It really ****es me off when people give cats ultimatums and threaten to
relinquish the cat over a piece of ****ing wood.

Posts like his is one of the main reasons why I rarely handle adoptions.