IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

Old May 21st 06, 01:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default IBKFergus is leaving ;-(

I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i or Joel
can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that bad, i can't
use my right thumb to type.

Now I've wrestled with Shmogg all his life and I've had my fair share of
scratches and bites, but never this deep, and never without severe
provocation first.

The deepest cut extends right from the base of my thumb all the way around
to the thumb to the knuckle - about two inches of deep cut, with other
scratches parrellel to it.

This *cannot* happen to Cary, who, being a 2 year old boy, does provoke her.
If it was Cary's thumb, he'd behaving reconstructive surgery to have it
reattached about now. the clawing is *that* severe.

I'd like her to go to a home with people used to ex feral and feral cats. A
home that doens't have children, a home that won't make her the nervous
skitty cat she is here. She is an *excellent* hunter and would be most
suited to barn life rather than a house cat or pet, She has never been
intered in receiving any affection from us, althogh will occasionally
discover how much she likes it if we 'force' it on her. She does, however,
answer to her name.

The Cat Protection Society might take her - theres a lady here in my suburb
that lean me a crate when IBKFergus first got here. If not, I'll try the
Humane Society. Failing that, I'll take her back to work where the rest of
her family is. I don't like the idea of dumping cats, but she'll have a
better chance there than at the RSPCA. The RSPCA do a great job in many
ways, but if I say that she's vicious, and I feel duty bound to mention it,
they'll deem her 'unadoptable' and just euthanise her because they can't
home her forever. And I don't want her euthanised.

Please purr she finds a home more suitable to her wild nature (if you know
of one around Wollongong, Australia, please let me know). Every extra hour
here increases the risk she might severely hurt and/or maim Cary, so she's
got to go ASAP. Tonight, sadly, will be her last night here.

Even though my thumb is throbbing, and I know that this is what we have to
do for Cary's sake, I am *heartbroken*. I just hope she can find a home that
will be able to provide her with whatever it is she needs to become a lap
fungus. I feell like *such* a traitor, a failure, a bad parent etc etc.

And then I have to explain to Cary why his fursister and Evil Overlord is no
longer around.

in tears,

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 01:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
[...]

I'm so very sorry to hear she has to go, but obviously you can't take
chances with Cary. Purrs that Fergus finds a suitable home, purrs for your
thumb, purrs that Cary doesn't miss her for too long.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 21st 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Adrian A" wrote in message

I'll take her back to work
where the rest of her family is. I don't like the idea of dumping
cats, but she'll have a better chance there than at the RSPCA. The
RSPCA do a great job in many ways, but if I say that she's vicious,
and I feel duty bound to mention it, they'll deem her 'unadoptable'
and just euthanise her because they can't home her forever. And I
don't want her euthanised.////

First, many, many purrs that this is resolved in the best interests of
IBK Fergus. However, to take her back to work and dump her there is
grossly unfair. Firstly, she'll have inital problems being introduced to
the colony as they won't recognise her and there will be fights.
Secondly, she has not developed the "awareness" of a permanent living
*outdoor* cat as she has known the safety of a home.

Can you pin point *any* reason why she might have reacted in this way?

Purrs that things work out.

Helen M

Old May 21st 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
[...]

I don't know if you'd want to try this, but over the years that I've
read newsgroups, I've heard a lot of positive results with "Soft Paws",
those claw caps. That would work with the claws; but unfortunately
wouldn't help if she bit.
There's a chance IBK will calm down with age; but there's also the
chance she won't, but you already know all that. I had a cat, Cherokee,
who would have *no way* been suitable for a home with children. That's
just a fact. The older he got, the more fractious he got. He would have
hurt a child badly, no doubt about it. He hurt *me* badly enough times.
I imagine this is a bad wound you're talking about; it is not like you
to make such a decision lightly, and I know you're agonizing over it.
Purrs for a good solution & good home for IBK. Hope you are able to
home her with a family where you can see her from time to time. Best of
luck. (((((hugs)))))))

Sherry

Old May 21st 06, 03:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie, first purrs for your injury, frazzled nerves, and breaking heart. Be
sure to get antibiotics right away and have a tetanus shot.

Second, please reconsider dumping IBKFergus - I really think being humanely
euthanized would be a kinder fate. The colony of cats will not recognize
her and may viciously attack her. She has been a house pet so she won't
know how to survive on her own. As a stray she will face starvation,
disease, animal attacks, being hit by a car (and *NOT* dying right away),
and possible torture by the sick individuals in our society.

Third, in the mean time I would isolate IBKFergus so there is no chance of
her hurting Cary (or anyone else). Put her in your bedroom or a bathroom
with her food, water, and litter and you can rest easier about her being in
the house until you can find her a home.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 21st 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

ah, don't feel so bad, Yowie. If you and Joel feel that it is the safest
thing for Cary, then so be it. Jazz was vicious too and would attack me with
no provocation. But, it was just him and me so I could just tend to my
wounds by myself. But Cary is a little boy who is so trusting that if
IBKFergus was a threat, then there really is no two ways about it.
We will purr and pray that the furkitty will find a forever home where she
will be safe and loved, just as you kept her safe and loved. God bless.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old May 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message
Yowie, first purrs for your injury, frazzled nerves, and breaking heart.
Be sure to get antibiotics right away and have a tetanus shot.

Second, please reconsider dumping IBKFergus - I really think being
humanely euthanized would be a kinder fate. The colony of cats will not
recognize her and may viciously attack her. She has been a house pet so
she won't know how to survive on her own. As a stray she will face
starvation, disease, animal attacks, being hit by a car (and *NOT* dying
right away), and possible torture by the sick individuals in our society.

Very true - I guess the thought of returning her to work was one of those
desperte thoughts. It is an industrial estate with no cars, no houses and a
plentiful rodent supply, but yes, she would be a strange cat in a large
colony of feral, vicious cats. Not a good idea when I think about it a bit
more logically.

I hope the cat protection society can take her :-(

Yowie

Old May 21st 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie,

What is IBK"s history? How long have you had him?

I agree about not dumping him outside. He will be ripped to shreds by
the other cats in the colony, or maybe just isolated enough to be kept
away from any food.

Is there anywhere, like a basement or a garage, you can keep him for the
time being until you find him a home?

If he was a former feral, the Humane Society will probably not take him,
at least they don't around here. And if you say why you are turning him
in, that he attacked you or that he is a former feral (which you really
have to) he won't really have a chance there.

I would think the best options are finding some kind soul on your own,
which can take some time, or finding a cat sanctuary, which can also
take time to find an opening. I hope you can keep him somewhere safe
from your son in your home until then.

Good luck, what a tough situation for you. I hope everyone calms down a
bit and takes some time to find the right solution for all of you.

Rhonda

Old May 21st 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yowie" wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

{{{{{{{{{{Yowie}}}}}}}}}} I know how hard it is! We're sending purrs that
IBKFergus can find a good home soon.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old May 21st 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
I don't want to do this, but don't have much choice. For no reason i or Joel
can fathom, IBKFergus just ripped my thumb to shreds. Its that bad, i can't
use my right thumb to type.

Now I've wrestled with Shmogg all his life and I've had my fair share of
scratches and bites, but never this deep, and never without severe
provocation first.

The deepest cut extends right from the base of my thumb all the way around
to the thumb to the knuckle - about two inches of deep cut, with other
scratches parrellel to it.

This *cannot* happen to Cary, who, being a 2 year old boy, does provoke her.

You need to make that stop immediately. It's possible that your DS'
"provoking" has actually made her aggressive. Animals do not behave
for "no reason". Not to mention the fact that a child that young should
never be allowed to interact with *any* animal unsupervised.

-L.

IBKFergus grows... Yowie Cat anecdotes 10 July 14th 05 04:30 PM
IBKFergus grows up Yowie Cat anecdotes 24 April 24th 05 07:32 AM
IBKFergus isn't black Yowie Cat anecdotes 11 January 23rd 05 05:25 AM
IBKFergus update Yowie Cat anecdotes 27 January 12th 05 07:57 PM
Leaving the cat while I am away for a long time Lipgor Cat health & behaviour 10 December 10th 03 05:08 PM