What is our cat saying to us?

Old September 20th 04, 05:20 PM
CatNipped

"Singer709" wrote in message
om...
We all get harangued by our cats when they want food or to go outside,
or often when their cat boxes need cleaning.

Bandit is our most talkative, but she mostly yowls and growls at everybody.
I can be petting or brushing her and she'll be purring up a storm and then
she'll see another one of the girls and start growling (while still
purring).

Well, at the (equivalent) age of 72 I guess she's due a fair amount of
bit*hing! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old September 20th 04, 07:19 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On 20 Sep 2004 00:15:20 -0700, (Singer709) wrote:

We all get harangued by our cats when they want food or to go outside,
or often when their cat boxes need cleaning.

For example, my super-smart Vanilla (now RB) would come to where I
was, and DEMAND that I get up instantly and take care of whatever she
wanted. She would lead me to the fridge, or the cat box, (she was 100%
indoor) and sit there mewing until I acted. She would also watch
carefully while I cleaned the cat box to ensure that I did a proper
job. Same when I fixed her dinner or a snack. Everything had to be
just so.

And when it was 10-11pm or so, she'd DEMAND that I turn off the TV and
come to bed!

RJ, my present huge orange fuzzball, isn't as sharp as Vanilla was, so
when he wants something he mews, but can't figure out how to lead me
to the job at hand, so I have to guess. Most of the time is for him to
"play out" on the fenced patio. He loves this since the patio has a
high fence and no gaps (his former owners declawed him in front --
boo) but at least the benefit of that is he can go play out and
there's no way he can get away.

Anyway, sometimes our cats will just come over and meow at us, for no
apparent reason. Naturally Siamese will speak volumes, whole
paragraphs of cat lingo. But even non-Siamese will often simply have
something to say to us.

Any idea what it is? It's not "I love you" because that tone we can
identify immediately. And it's not "Angry" or "Scared" either. The
"words" are articulate and not stressed with high emotion.

Do you think that our cat is simply saying "Hi there"?

I think sometimes that's it. Sometimes it's other things.

We have two major talkers, Brando and Merlyn. Their range of sounds
is simply astounding. I can carry on a conversation, especially with
Merlyn; I'll meow and mrp at her and she'll respond. I *really* hope
the FBI doesn't have my home bugged! They surely would be scratching
their heads ;-)

Merlyn will tell me about everything from "I hate that new kitten!" to
"I love the cool!" (from the air conditioner). Brando tells me when
the litterbox is dirty, when he wants on my lap, when he wants furball
meds, and when another cat is annoying him.

Well, at least that's *my* interpretations of their various and sundry
sounds. Maybe they're just saying "You stupid human. Jeesh!" lol.

Ginger-lyn

Old September 20th 04, 10:09 PM
mlbriggs

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:19:02 +0000, Ginger-lyn Summer wrote:

[...]

IMHO - what they mostly say is "I'm sending a message, so read my mind!"

Old September 21st 04, 01:40 AM
O J

On Mon, 20 Sep, Steve Touchstone wrote:

---------------------snip----------------------
Rocky has little to say, I didn't think he
knew how to meow until last year.

LOL (really). We knew that our beloved Misty(RB) could meow, she
would hold regular, extended conversations with DH. We just didn't
know she could meow loudly. At least not till I took Lady Jane
Grey out to the courtyard of our apartment building for a leashed romp
on the grass leaving Misty access to our second floor patio where she
could watch.

About five minutes into Janie's supervised exercise period, I heard
this cat 'mow'ing (rhymes with cow - ing) so loudly that I wondered
what was happening to the poor kitty. I was surprised to learn that
it was Misty, she of the (normally) well-modulated voice. She didn't
stop till we were back in the apartment.

Regards and Purrs,
O J