Introducing...

Old April 19th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

Default Introducing...

They are already lovely. They look alert (and the world needs more
lerts) and they seem aware that their futures will be more interesting
than their pasts. They also have shockingly good names. Is that the
current fashion in naming former battery hens?

The names just fit them :-)

They've already perked up a lot compared to when I fist got them. When I
picked them up their combs were pale & grey. Already they are pinking up
nicely. When I first put them in their run, they stood there... and stood
there... and stood there... So I've pretty much left them alone to have a
bit of peace & quiet. It's paid off as they are starting to exhibit *normal*
behaviour already. They've produced some good stuff for the compost bin :-)
pecked at food, scratched about in their run, drunk some water and started
moving about a bit. So things are looking good already.

Old April 19th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Anode and Cathode

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=619485718

They have not yet met the cats.

But Cathode was very vocal in her comments about the sound of next door's
tractor :-)

Their feathering is quite good for ex-batts, Helen. Sometimes they look
almost oven-ready when you get them and have an odour all of their own. That
does wear off.
Welcome to the world of chicken keeping!

Tweed

Old April 19th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Anode and Cathode

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=619485718

They have not yet met the cats.

But Cathode was very vocal in her comments about the sound of next door's
tractor :-)

Their feathering is quite good for ex-batts, Helen. Sometimes they look
almost oven-ready when you get them and have an odour all of their own.
That does wear off.
Welcome to the world of chicken keeping!

Tweed

Aye, they are a couple of the more feathered of the rescue lot today. I saw
a few that were looking very, very bald poor things. Also on the plus side,
only Cathode has been debeaked and only very slightly. Their combs have
already pinked up remarkably well, considering how pale & grey they were on
collection. Poor things were incredibly stressed when I first got them.

Anode:-
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b&id=619485718

Cathode:-
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...a&id=619485718

I've just tucked them up for the night. I've put extra straw in their
bedding area, for extra insulation - and a bit of bubble wrap across the
wire front - to keep the worst of the chill out. It's *not* airtight, far
from it so they won't suffocate, but it will keep a lot of wind out
overnight. Just until they acclimatise.

Old April 19th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

outsider wrote:

I shall look forward to pictures in a few weeks as their feathers
improve. It took me a minute to realise their names came from being
battery hens. :-)

Yes but not very lady-like names. I hope you end up calling them Anna and
Cathy for short.

Andy (short for _Andrew_)

Why do people feel the need to project their gender obsessions on
animals, who truly do not care??

I like the names, myself. And the hens are beautiful! A bit ragged
around the edges, but they'll look better once they've enjoyed their
freedom for a while. They're a pretty color.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old April 19th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
wafflycat

I like their names...and they mean something entirely different to me.
have not the slightest idea what battery hens are. Actually, *love*
their names.

Battery hens: most egg production is via battery hens

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...&um=1&ie=UTF-8

Old April 19th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wafflycat wrote:
They are already lovely. They look alert (and the world needs more
lerts) and they seem aware that their futures will be more
interesting than their pasts. They also have shockingly good names.
Is that the current fashion in naming former battery hens?

The names just fit them :-)

They've already perked up a lot compared to when I fist got them.
When I picked them up their combs were pale & grey. Already they are
pinking up nicely. When I first put them in their run, they stood
there... and stood there... and stood there... So I've pretty much
left them alone to have a bit of peace & quiet. It's paid off as they
are starting to exhibit *normal* behaviour already. They've produced
some good stuff for the compost bin :-) pecked at food, scratched
about in their run, drunk some water and started moving about a bit.
So things are looking good already.

Glad to see they're getting a bit of spark in their step now :-)

Yowie

Old April 19th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"wafflycat" wrote in message
Anode and Cathode

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=619485718

They have not yet met the cats.

But Cathode was very vocal in her comments about the sound of next door's
tractor :-)

YUMMY!!!! When we eats?

Cap'n Pine Cone esq getting his best manners and napkin out in anticipation

Old April 19th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message
[...]

It's a wonderful thing to rescue ex-batts, but I *do* wish you'd taken my
advice to get 3. They are not long-lived - not bred for it and when one
dies earlier than the other it's difficult to get another to fit in with the
one that's left.
Is it too late to get another one?

Tweed

Old April 20th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"wafflycat" wrote in message

I like their names...and they mean something entirely different to me.
have not the slightest idea what battery hens are. Actually, *love*
their names.

Battery hens: most egg production is via battery hens

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...&um=1&ie=UTF-8

That's where cheap eggs come from: and why I keep my own chickens.

Tweed

Old April 20th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

wafflycat wrote:
Anode and Cathode

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...6&id=619485718

They have not yet met the cats.

But Cathode was very vocal in her comments about the sound of next
door's tractor :-)

So you're saying there's "electricity" between them?

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe