Here we go again URI

Old July 5th 03, 11:50 PM
meow

Default Here we go again URI

I got a foster cat in March of this past year and decided to keep her
for myself. May 7th I took her to the vet for an URI and she was on
Amoxidrops and an eye ointment for 2 and a half weeks. She was also
secluded during this time. She cleared up nicely and have seen no
symptoms until the past day or so. She has started the occasional
sneeze again. Not nearly as bad as it was when I took her in but I
assume it will progress. Her medical chart showed that she was on
amoxidrops in Jan this year but did not tell why. Vet could only
assume it was for same reason. She showed no signs of a URI from March
to May. To make matters worse when I picked up one of my other girls
yesterday her eyes were teary and drippy. AARRGGHH if they all get
this I will scream. I have 5 all together. Could this be a virus that
needs a stronger antibiotic than the amoxidrops. I am worried that it
could be something else. She tested negative for FELV on 6/1/02. I am
really worried that I brought something into my house that did not
have to happen if I did not foster. They are all strictly indoor only
cats.
Old July 6th 03, 03:09 AM
Kalyahna

"meow" wrote in message
[...]

Cats, like people, have immune systems of varying strengths. Some people
never seem to get so much as a cold; others are constantly sneezing or
coughing, or take three weeks to get over the flu. You may have a cat that
simply has a weaker immune system, which may mean you'll have to isolate and
treat any other cats that show symptoms of something contagious. I can't
think of any serious illnesses that are contagious for which any adopted cat
wouldn't already have been tested before being put on the adoption floor.

Old July 6th 03, 06:00 AM
meow

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:09:27 -0500, "Kalyahna"
wrote:

"meow" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I guess I am worried about FELV the most. I have heard or read that a
recurring cold can be a symptom. I know she tested positive before I
knew her but isn't it one of those things that might not show up with
the first test? All her medical chart shows is that she was tested.
Not that she was given the vaccination. They really are not sneezing
yet but the runny teary eye is definitely going on. I have some of the
ointment leftover from her May treatment. I wonder if I should start
her out on it until I talk to the vet on Monday?