Microsoft Emails OT

Old September 20th 03, 12:16 AM
Bev

Default Microsoft Emails OT

I am being inundated with Microsoft emails with subject headings such as
Security Patch, Bug and many with virus messages deleted by my server.
Is anyone else having this problem? I rang my server but they said
there was nothing they could do about spam emails and wanted to know if
I had subscribed to anything or had anyone else been near the computer
(ye gods, Bonnie was hanging around the keyboard yesterday). I said no
on both counts.

The problem started yesterday and this morning there were 150 of these
emails to delete. Today I have got rid of another fifty or so.
Fortunately I have Mailwasher so I can delete them without downloading
them. I have heard on the news here that people are having problems
with computers crashing from some virus which is attacking microsoft and
am wondering if this is somehow connected. Scream!!!!

Fortunately cyclamen plants do not appear to be poisonous as Bonnie has
neatly snapped off all the lovely red flowers on one I was given for a
present. She has eaten several of them and seems to find them tasty.
I have brought in some of my flowering cymbidium orchids and I suspect
they will be the next items on her diet list. She has been sleeping
amongst the daffodils but doesn't eat them, just as well, as I know they
are poisonous.

Bev
--
God may have created man before woman but there is always a rough draft
before the masterpiece.
Old September 20th 03, 12:36 AM
Lois Reay

Bev most of us are having problems with these Microsoft! emails (see the
post odd ball email messages) this morning when I turned on my computer I
had 346, since then I have had about another 100 - I am just deleting them
as they come in - I did a scan and nothing has shown up on my computer -
just have to weather the storm!! but it is a nuisance.

Lois

Old September 20th 03, 12:43 AM
Karen

in article , Bev at wrote on
9/19/03 6:16 PM:

[...]

It seems to be prevelant across the usenet. It all started about the same
time too. I'm switching to a new address and have now munged my address for
Usenet. Which I find a PITA also, but not as bad as this. THink is, I've
been on usenet for years with that address unmunged and didn't have a
problem. Just lucky I guess.

Karen

Old September 20th 03, 03:06 AM
John Biltz

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:16:24 -0700, Bev wrote
(in message ):

Its a virus. Looks like it is going to be a bad one. These two links will
say more.

http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3080001
http://earthlink.com.com/2100-7349_3-5078696.html

Old September 20th 03, 04:30 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Bev wrote:

I am being inundated with Microsoft emails with subject headings such as
Security Patch, Bug and many with virus messages deleted by my server.
Is anyone else having this problem? I rang my server but they said
there was nothing they could do about spam emails and wanted to know if
I had subscribed to anything or had anyone else been near the computer
(ye gods, Bonnie was hanging around the keyboard yesterday). I said no
on both counts.

The problem started yesterday and this morning there were 150 of these
emails to delete. Today I have got rid of another fifty or so.
Fortunately I have Mailwasher so I can delete them without downloading
them. I have heard on the news here that people are having problems
with computers crashing from some virus which is attacking microsoft and
am wondering if this is somehow connected. Scream!!!!

I know it's small consolation, but it appears to be worldwide, so
perhaps someone, SOMEWHERE can do something about it! (We can but
pray.)

Fortunately cyclamen plants do not appear to be poisonous as Bonnie has
neatly snapped off all the lovely red flowers on one I was given for a
present. She has eaten several of them and seems to find them tasty.
I have brought in some of my flowering cymbidium orchids and I suspect
they will be the next items on her diet list. She has been sleeping
amongst the daffodils but doesn't eat them, just as well, as I know they
are poisonous.

Well, I always understood diefenbachia was poisonous to cats, but when
someone gave me a "floor model" in a big pot, Paraclete snacked it down
to the roots, with no apparent ill effects. (She succumbed to feline
lukemia a couple of years later, but I'm sure the two were not related.)
Old September 20th 03, 04:33 AM

Lois Reay wrote:

Bev most of us are having problems with these Microsoft! emails (see the
post odd ball email messages) this morning when I turned on my computer I
had 346, since then I have had about another 100 - I am just deleting them
as they come in - I did a scan and nothing has shown up on my computer -
just have to weather the storm!! but it is a nuisance.

I discovered Earthlin has improved its "Spaminator" since last I looked
at it. I can now opt for it to send everything from anyone not in my
address book to a "Questionable E-Mail" file, where I can scroll down
and delete all that stuff before it downloads to my computer. It also
gives me an option to send messages to my inbox and add the sender to my
address book, so I don't have to miss any I want, just because they're
blocked.
Old September 20th 03, 05:25 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Bev had some very interesting things to say about
Microsoft Emails OT:

I am being inundated with Microsoft emails with subject headings such as
Security Patch, Bug and many with virus messages deleted by my server.
Is anyone else having this problem? I rang my server but they said
there was nothing they could do about spam emails and wanted to know if
I had subscribed to anything or had anyone else been near the computer
(ye gods, Bonnie was hanging around the keyboard yesterday). I said no
on both counts.

I'm seeing reports on several newsgroups. Some [bleep] little [bleep]
with too much time on its hands and nothing useful to do with same
seems to have sent out more viruses.

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old September 20th 03, 05:25 AM
Seanette Blaylock

Karen had some very interesting things
to say about Microsoft Emails OT:

It seems to be prevelant across the usenet. It all started about the same
time too. I'm switching to a new address and have now munged my address for
Usenet. Which I find a PITA also, but not as bad as this. THink is, I've
been on usenet for years with that address unmunged and didn't have a
problem. Just lucky I guess.

I don't think munging helps. TTBOMM, I've never used this address on
Usenet unmunged, and I'm getting flooded too.

Old September 20th 03, 05:33 AM
Karen

in article ,
Brenda Watkins at wrote on 9/19/03 11:02 PM:

"Karen" wrote in message
in article
, Bev at wrote on
9/19/03 6:16 PM:

[...]

How does one mung an addy? I'd like to do it with mine.
Brenda, also being inundated

click on Tools and go to Accounts. Click the Newsgroup tab. Go to
properties. Go to the screen with your email address in it and add some
stuff to your email so it would bounce if anyone replied. The problem is if
they've already got your email, it won't stop it now.

Karen

Old September 20th 03, 05:51 AM
Brenda Watkins

"Karen" wrote in message
in article ,
Brenda Watkins at wrote on 9/19/03 11:02 PM:

"Karen" wrote in message
in article
, Bev at wrote

on
9/19/03 6:16 PM:

[...]

thanks, Karen - at least I can ward off future invasions.
Brenda