Update on Spam (the cat not the emails)

Old February 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Update on Spam (the cat not the emails)

As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in the
living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think he's
constipated.
Spam peed in his pan, and pooped a little tiny bit before coming back
to his favorite chair. After five minutes he hopped down and headed for
the spot on the carpet where he poops. I grabbed him, turned him around
towards the cat pans, and he went right to his pans instead.
Weird! So do you think he is confused? I suppose he could be
pooping on the floor in an effort to say, hey, I'm constipated.
He's eaten just fine. I caught him at his kibble and water 5 times
yesterday but he only pooped twice in the last 4 days, so I'm thinking
he's having to strain, which ads to the problem.
Is this definitely still something to see a vet for? Or should I try
treating the constipation and waiting to see? He's not any worse than
he was before he started pooping in the living room. He hasn't played
or moved around much for about a year, which is why I worried he doesn't
have a good quality of life, but when comparing Spam today to Spam a
month ago, he's the same. Just... confused, I guess.
Thanks for all your advice, guys. It's nice to have others who have
cats to talk to about these things.

Stacia

Old February 10th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Margarita Salt" wrote in message
Glitter Ninja wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

[...]

have the vet check for roundworms they can cause diarrhea, constipation,
bring in a fecal sample when you go

a little reading for you
http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/felconstip.html
http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/...no=156 2#ct-7
http://www.fabcats.org/constipation.html
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-catintest.htm
http://www.catclinicofroswell.com/me...px?handoutid=5

Old February 10th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Margarita Salt writes:

Now that's interesting. I guess when you're constipated and then feel
like you're finally going to go, you go where you stand (if you're a
cat, of course). going outside the box is supposed to be a way to get
your attention. I suggest the pumpkin approach to constipation to see
if that's really the problem. (Kami won't eat pumpkin, but she will
eat Vaseline with the same... um... outcome...)

Spam will eat Vaseline, too, but most of my cats will. They're all
insane.
The links elsewhere in this thread were interesting. Now I wonder if
it's really constipation because his stools (once he finally went) were
soft and numerous He's drank plenty, 5 times yesterday and 3 times
today already. I'm thinking I might forgo Monday's appointment and wait
for the regularly scheduled follow-up in a couple weeks. Spam hates vet
trips and I have to admit, I am running out of money, I've already spent
$1,200 on Spam alone. (I know, don't get a cat unless you can afford
it, but Spam and Reggie's vet bills have cost over $2,000 in the last
few months and I just wasn't prepared for that kind of expense.)
All the kitties are napping right now. They are so adorable when
asleep.

Stacia

Old February 10th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Margarita Salt wrote:
Glitter Ninja wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Margarita Salt writes:

[...]

I feel your pain on the vet bills. I've saving for the down payment on
a house and Kami has other plans. LOL!

....and you think it is funny that Kami is sick?!?!

groan

Old February 10th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Joe Canuck writes:
Margarita Salt wrote:
Glitter Ninja wrote:

know, don't get a cat unless you can afford it, but Spam and
Reggie's vet bills have cost over $2,000 in the last few months
and I just wasn't prepared for that kind of expense.)

I feel your pain on the vet bills. I've saving for the down payment on
a house and Kami has other plans. LOL!

We just bought a house and I did get a small bit of money from an
inheritance, which has helped, but it's running out. Timing is never
good for anything like this, is it? I suppose I should be lucky we have
money instead of running up credit card bills, but if I have to, I will
run up debt for the kitties.

...and you think it is funny that Kami is sick?!?!

groan

I don't think it's funny ha ha that Brandi means, Joe. More like,
funny ironic. The kind of laugh you do instead of moping about the
situation.

Stacia

Old February 11th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Margarita Salt wrote:
Glitter Ninja wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Joe Canuck writes:
Margarita Salt wrote:
Glitter Ninja wrote:
[...]

He knows that. He just likes to disrupt as many threads as possible so
no one gets any benefit from the group.

I'm not certain how your saving for a down payment has any benefit to
the group. :-D

Congrats on the house. I have my eye on a few, but have been looking
for one with the master downstairs so Kami doesn't have to climb.
Okay, is it odd to plan such a major purchase around your cat who won't
be around but a few more years? (knock wood)

Old February 11th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:52:02 +0000, Margarita Salt wrote:

Glitter Ninja wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

[...]

Have you tried Iams kibble with hairball remedy? I give my cat one
small serving of this daily and she is "regular". MLB
Old February 11th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Glitter Ninja" wrote in message
As I posted in my rant a few days ago, Spam had been pooping in the
living room. So today I caught the entire production and I think he's
constipated.

My cat rarely poops in her pan anymore. She does it in the neighborhood
instead. And she has constipation, a complication of her chronic renal
failure. Talk with your vet about giving your cat some Metamucil or One-Pie
pumpkin. If your cat is 7 or older and has yet to have one, it would be a
good idea to have the vet run a full blood screen, in case renal failure is
the underlying cause. Renal failure can be managed.

Old February 11th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

FWIW, 2 of our 5 boys poop outside the litterboxs only when they are
constipated.

Old February 13th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Ryan Robbins" writes:

My cat rarely poops in her pan anymore. She does it in the neighborhood
instead. And she has constipation, a complication of her chronic renal
failure. Talk with your vet about giving your cat some Metamucil or One-Pie
pumpkin. If your cat is 7 or older and has yet to have one, it would be a
good idea to have the vet run a full blood screen, in case renal failure is
the underlying cause. Renal failure can be managed.

Yeah, Spam does have renal failure. It's in the early stages and he's
on Eukanuba Multi Stage Renal kibble for it. I've been watching his
water input carefully and he's drinking as normal. I asked the vet
about hairball remedy and she said to give him a little (too much causes
problems, I guess) and he's pooped twice since then, so I'm very
relieved. Both times in or near his box, too, and not in the living
room. He's cheered up as well.
I was worried because his urine was diluted but the vet said that was
normal for renal failure.

Stacia