Declawed cat vs. Non-declawed cat. Should I worry?

Old June 6th 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Default Declawed cat vs. Non-declawed cat. Should I worry?

Declawed cat vs. Non-declawed cat. Should I worry?

Let me first say, yes, I feel animals have feelings. Most people
like to run their mouth about me worrying too much about my critters
and I have decided I can look way beyond that, considering YOU cat
people are nicer although much more ruthless and blunt.

Phat Kat is the newest addition to the household and is an altered
front-declawed male (around 22 lbs.), whereas Gabby is the altered
non-declawed ******* demon whip that licks at the back of angels*.

* Yep, still drinking Sky vodka and Pure cranberry juice. Whatever.

The dog "group" shredded me to pieces over various reasons, but I
have to ask...

Is it fair to have Gabby, the ferocious 8 or so pounder with claws,
run loose whilst Phat Kat, the mega-kitty (22 lbs or so) is an
absolute "awwwwwwww" waiting to happen -- minus the claws?

In case it was not clear**, Gabby (the meanie) likes to attack Phat
Kat (the softie with no claws in the front) -- should I continue to
swat Gabby away when it is EVIDENT Phat Kat wants no part of Gabby's
"ferocity?"

** I'm drunk. The primary reason I'm brave enough to even post here
after the madness that ensued last time (due mostly in part to my
disability and inability to effectively communicate at times).

I'll say this... despite what you "die hard cat fans" think you know
-- Phat Kat is NOT digging, I repeat, NOT digging Gabby's onslaught.

One last time in case I've royally screwed this post -- which I think
I have -- should I protect my declawed cat from my clawed aggressive
cat?

P.S. Maybe this goes out to those who remember me talking about
Gabby. Gabby is frickin' bad.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 6th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"-Lost" wrote in message
[...]

Phat Cat has teeth and back claws, right? If Gabby goes too far, I imagine
he will let her know. In the mean time, you should discourage her with
loud NOs and claps when she ****s with him.

And stop being so proud of what a badass she is. Pick her up (with
gloves if you must) and look her dead in the eye and tell her to stop
****ing with Phat Cat. In a stern, non-pussy voice.

Old June 6th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"-Lost" wrote in message
[...]

Your swatting Gabby will only make the situation worse - he'll take the
resentment out on Phat Kat and come to fear you... a lose-lose situation. I
doubt that Gabby is hurting Phat Kat, cats' thick hair usually prevent
injuries unless it's a *serious* fight (in which case you should keep them
completely separate and re-start a slow introduction). If it is just
agressive play going on, or even a pecking order being established, your
best course of action is to just stay out of it and let them settle it on
their own (as long as nobody is getting hurt, of course).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 6th 08, 05:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
CatNipped wrote:
"-Lost" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Trim Gabby's claws.

Blunts won't do much if any damage.
Old June 7th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "cybercat" :

snip

Phat Cat has teeth and back claws, right?

Yep.

If Gabby goes too far, I imagine he will let her know.

Gabby's a lad. : ) Remember... we were new to cat genitalia so
named him thinking he was a lass.

In the mean time, you should discourage her with loud NOs and
claps when she ****s with him.

Gotcha. I have been "ssss!"-ing him or shaking a pill bottle at
him, but he is back at it in moments.

I feel I should be playing maracas.

And stop being so proud of what a badass she is. Pick her up (with
gloves if you must) and look her dead in the eye and tell her to
stop ****ing with Phat Cat. In a stern, non-pussy voice.

Noted. However... I didn't mean to give the impression I was proud.
I am quite the opposite. Well, maybe I am a tad pleased that he's
tough, but not so proud that it is at the expense of Phat Kat's
possible displeasure.

When Gabby barrels down the hallway for no reason, flies across the
room, lands on the SIDE of the love seat's armrest, and ninja-baboon
jumps another ten feet to land in front of the food bowl in the
kitchen -- I am proud.

When he does the same thing but the landing involves Phat Kat -- I
am not so proud.

Thanks for the advice.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 7th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "CatNipped" :

snip

In case it was not clear**, Gabby (the meanie) likes to attack
Phat Kat (the softie with no claws in the front) -- should I
continue to swat Gabby away when it is EVIDENT Phat Kat wants no
part of Gabby's "ferocity?"

Your swatting Gabby will only make the situation worse - he'll
take the resentment out on Phat Kat and come to fear you... a
lose-lose situation. I doubt that Gabby is hurting Phat Kat,
cats' thick hair usually prevent injuries unless it's a *serious*
fight (in which case you should keep them completely separate and
re-start a slow introduction). If it is just agressive play going
on, or even a pecking order being established, your best course of
action is to just stay out of it and let them settle it on their
own (as long as nobody is getting hurt, of course).

See? Mark me down for another miscommunication. : P

Instead of swatting I should have said waving my arms or whatnot in
his general region or in his face if I am that close. Like shooing
maybe?

And I do a lot of "ssss!"-ing or pill shaking, but I am going to try
clapping and a loud "non-pussy" yell. ;P

Well, considering you are a mega-ailurophile you probably know
better. What I consider a bit too far is maybe just the pecking
order like you say.

I just know for the time being Phat Kat hides in every little nook
and cranny he can to avoid Gabby and Gabby takes the fight straight
to him. Inevitably Phat Kat leaps up to sit behind me and Gabby
paces the floor in front of me. (I guess knowing that I will not let
him keep up his ****e.)

I am probably over-reacting but it does not seem like a normal tussle
to me.

Thanks for the advice.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old June 7th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

In article ,
-Lost wrote:
Response to (Claude V. Lucas):

snip
Trim Gabby's claws.

Blunts won't do much if any damage.

Yep, they are! Gabby still manages to hold on to Phat Kat.

Quite literally the first time Gabby and Phat Kat met, Gabby
leaped on Phat Kat's back (having been trimmed before we
introduced) -- Phat Kat tore through the kitchen with Gabby
attached.

Good luck.

I hope the drama amicably resolves itself.

You and me both. : )) Thanks.

I'd hate to have to go through that with Bubba.

He absolutely detests all other cats.
At least he just hisses and then runs and hides
instead of being aggressive.

Bubba == Phat Kat? Seriously, that was Phat Kat to a T.

I hate to laugh (because I feel bad for Phat Kat and what some idiot
and their idiot vet did to him) but it is the funniest ****e seeing a
22 pounder try and shimmy under a couch. He manages though!

He can squeeze his 25 lbs into some amazingly small places.

I'm just not sure if he detests all cats or if he just remembers
Gabby attacking the snot out of him the first time they met, though.

I'm pretty sure Bubba hates all of them.

A couple of summers ago when I had the door open one of the
neighbor's kittens wandered in, all 8 ounces of him. Bubba
calmly walked over to it and hissed at it from close range.
When it hissed back, he couldn't get behind the couch fast
enough. I didn't think that he could move that quickly...

:^)