very soft stools

Old December 21st 04, 09:04 PM

Default very soft stools

Some weeks ago my adult Maine Coon started having very soft stools. The
consistency of pudding. Not excessive, just once a day like always. She
looks good, acts good, plays, eats, gives loves,but since it was a
change I wanted it checked out. The vet didn't find anything wrong but
put her on antibiotics and something to improve her intestinal flora.
It didn't change anything. He said the next step would be blood tests.
I don't know whether I should persue this or not. I hate to stress her
out with unnecessary tests.Anyone else have experience with "pudding
stools"?

Old December 21st 04, 10:44 PM
Sandra

have you changed her diet, or is she getting hold on something she
shouldn't?

Sandra

Old December 22nd 04, 01:08 AM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 12:04:39 -0800, grawun wrote:

Some weeks ago my adult Maine Coon started having very soft stools. The
consistency of pudding. Not excessive, just once a day like always. She
looks good, acts good, plays, eats, gives loves,but since it was a
change I wanted it checked out. The vet didn't find anything wrong but
put her on antibiotics and something to improve her intestinal flora.
It didn't change anything. He said the next step would be blood tests.
I don't know whether I should persue this or not. I hate to stress her
out with unnecessary tests.Anyone else have experience with "pudding
stools"?

What do you feed her? Perhaps a change to a better food would help.MLB

Old December 22nd 04, 02:10 AM
Dave

I had that problem and changed my cats food to sensitive stomach Pro One
within 4 days her stool was back to normal. I tried her back on her old
food and the stool started softening up. Pro One Sensitive

Old December 22nd 04, 03:31 AM
Judy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Some weeks ago my adult Maine Coon started having very soft stools. The
consistency of pudding. Not excessive, just once a day like always. She
looks good, acts good, plays, eats, gives loves,but since it was a
change I wanted it checked out. The vet didn't find anything wrong but
put her on antibiotics and something to improve her intestinal flora.

Seeing as antibiotics cause pudding poo, naturally something to improve her
intestinal flora would be added, but I doubt doing so will solve the
problem.

It didn't change anything. He said the next step would be blood tests.
I don't know whether I should persue this or not. I hate to stress her
out with unnecessary tests.Anyone else have experience with "pudding
stools"?

Whenever pudding poo has struck my house it's been as a result of a
parasite. The diagnosis was simple and not stressful to the cat. I just took
a stool sample to the vet and had it tested.

If you have already done this and the problem hasn't been resolved, then I
believe you do need to pursue the issue. If you are unsatisfied with your
vet, who hasn't been able to diagnose the problem, I would suggest seeking
another opinion.

Judy

Old December 25th 04, 03:38 AM
cdchap911

i have not had the problem with my cats but i was having it with my dog and
the vet had me put metamusil in her moist food every morning and problem has
been solved. dont know if that would help with cat could ask your vet tho
and how much for her size obviously
oups.com...

Old December 26th 04, 11:04 PM

I was just looking today....and found this post. Did your Maine Coon
stop having the soft stools? I have a male Maine Coon who has always had
soft stools, 10 months now, since I got him. He is 2 or 3 yrs old. My
vet said not to worry, as long as he eats, and plays, and seems healthy.

Someone on this group said to feed the cat "Pro One Sensitive" cat food.
Where do you buy that? I never heard of it. Thank you.

Old December 29th 04, 12:48 AM
~*Connie*~

You should be able to purchase a sensitive stomach type cat food at any good
pet supply store.

In general, soft stools aren't something to worry about as long as the cat's
stool has been tested for parasites, and or been dewormed (I like both) I
find pumpkin and or yogurt added to food often will clear it up. Often just
getting them on a good quality food will do it too. Good luck!

Old December 31st 04, 03:28 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. The vet did, of course check a
stool sample and found no problem. I did try pumpkin and Metamucil. I
got a sensitive stomach food at Pet Value and she seems to be doing
very well on it. Her poops are more solid than before. As long as she
continues to look good, act good and eat good I'm not going to worry
about it.