Integrating Raki with Bandit & Snowball

Old April 16th 05, 02:55 PM
Exocat

Default Integrating Raki with Bandit & Snowball

Briefly, as RL is getting in the way big-time at present, best wishes to
all.

Raki the d-pet is ever-so-slowly settling down, but he isn't coping with
"traff-ick" very well and cries woefully if I go out & leave him at home
(as I must occasionally as there are places you can't take animals
into). But he's studiously steering clear of B & S, although accepting
nose-sniffs before backing away, and they're largely ignoring him. So
not too bad overall, and they can settle down quite happily of an
evening either side of me, B&S together balancing R's weight on the
other side.

One day soon, though, I hope to be able to take a pic. of at least one
of the cats snuggled down beside him. At the moment Mere is doing better
winning over Frank & Nikki.

Nothing makes up for the loss of dear Pericles, though I guess keeping
busy helps.

Purrs & Woofs

Gordon, Bandit, Snowball & Raki.

Old April 16th 05, 04:26 PM
CatNipped

"Exocat" wrote in message
Briefly, as RL is getting in the way big-time at present, best wishes to
all.

Raki the d-pet is ever-so-slowly settling down, but he isn't coping with

"Raki", is that from "The Jungle Book", or am I thinking of Rikki Tikki
Takki (or something - I really need to read that again, it's been ages!)?

"traff-ick" very well and cries woefully if I go out & leave him at home
(as I must occasionally as there are places you can't take animals
into). But he's studiously steering clear of B & S, although accepting
nose-sniffs before backing away, and they're largely ignoring him. So
not too bad overall, and they can settle down quite happily of an
evening either side of me, B&S together balancing R's weight on the
other side.

One day soon, though, I hope to be able to take a pic. of at least one
of the cats snuggled down beside him. At the moment Mere is doing better
winning over Frank & Nikki.

Nothing makes up for the loss of dear Pericles, though I guess keeping
busy helps.

Purrs & Woofs

Gordon, Bandit, Snowball & Raki.

Purrs that they'll become fast friends soon. It really hasn't been that
long since you got him, so there's still plenty of adjustment time needed.

Sammy and I still miss Pericles too, Gordon. Too many have passed over to
the Bridge lately, for a while I was worried that Bandit might be joining
them, but she's a tough old bird and she pulled through.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 16th 05, 05:22 PM
Marina

Exocat wrote:

Raki the d-pet is ever-so-slowly settling down, but he isn't coping with
"traff-ick" very well and cries woefully if I go out & leave him at home
(as I must occasionally as there are places you can't take animals
into).

Poor Raki. We'll be sending integration purrs, so he will soon accept
Snowball's and Bandit's company whenever you are not around. I think it
sounds as if you are all progressing pretty well. Raki and the cats have
to learn to speak each other's languages, after all. My sister the
biologist has voiced the theory that cats hate d*gs because for a cat,
the polite thing to do when meeting another cat is to sniff noses first,
then possibly sniff behinds, while d*gs go direct for the tail end. ;o)
Of course, another thing is that lashing your tail around means one
thing in Cat and the complete opposite in D*g. Good luck with the
language studies!

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 17th 05, 11:39 AM
Exocat

"CatNipped" wrote

"Raki", is that from "The Jungle Book", or am I thinking of Rikki
Tikki
Takki (or something - I really need to read that again, it's been
ages!)?

Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose IIRC. Great stories, those. No, Raki's
(pron rarky) name originated thus: His pedigree name is Shibatika
Shinsetsu Na, the 1st word his breeing-house-name, the 2nd 2 words being
the Japanese for "kind". His pet name was "Waki", pronounced Whacky,
which I don't much care for, so I looked for something close he'd still
respond to. Raki is the Turkish aniseedy add-water drink, mainly from
raisins I think, [like the French Pernod/Pastis/Ricard] for which the
alternative name translates as "Lion's Milk". Raki has a bit of a mane
and since he's here instead of Pericles who was my lion-cat it seemed
particularly appropriate.

Sammy and I still miss Pericles too, Gordon. Too many have passed
over to
the Bridge lately, for a while I was worried that Bandit might be
joining
them, but she's a tough old bird and she pulled through.

I hope I remembered to send purrs for your B's ordeal from my B & co.
They were issued whether I notified or not.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

Old April 17th 05, 11:44 AM
Exocat

"Karen" wrote

I think it sounds like they are doing quite well! I'm sure once things
get
"normal" for him, it won't be so bad when you go out.

Thanks. I'm going to try desensitisation: leaving for a few minutes at a
time, gradually increasing, acting as though it's completely normal, no
fuss at all on my return.
Hopefully he'll soon get the idea.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

Old April 17th 05, 11:46 AM
Exocat

"Marina" wrote

My sister the biologist has voiced the theory that cats hate d*gs
because for a cat, the polite thing to do when meeting another cat is
to sniff noses first, then possibly sniff behinds, while d*gs go
direct for the tail end. ;o) Of course, another thing is that lashing
your tail around means one thing in Cat and the complete opposite in
D*g. Good luck with the language studies!

Yup, that'd be it. Luckily Raki's little culed-back Spitz tail can't do
much of anything so hasn't upset B & S at all. And they've all sniffed
each other at both ends now, they're just mutually underwhelmed. No
interest in inter-species friendships. Yet. But the total lack of
hostility (apart from warning hisses when Raki gets too much
in-yer-face) is encouraging.

Purrs

Gordon & the TT

Old April 17th 05, 04:39 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , "Exocat"
wrote:

"CatNipped" wrote

"Raki", is that from "The Jungle Book", or am I thinking of Rikki
Tikki
Takki (or something - I really need to read that again, it's been
ages!)?

Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose IIRC. Great stories, those.

I am vaguely reminded of the problems Hollywood had in making a movie of
Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. The Great Producer -- let us say Sam Goldwyn -- had
signed up the hoomin cast, complete with understudies, but now needed to
obtain someone for the title role.

Writing to a Hollywood exotic animal rental firm, he said "Dear sir.
Please send me a mongoose." Before he sent it off, the Great Man
reflected that he was dealing with an exceptionally fast and flexible
creature. What if it ran away? What would happen to his film?

With this in mind, he drafted a new letter. "Dear sir. Please send me
two mongooses." Mongooses? That didn't look right.

The next draft was "Dear sir. Please send me two mongeese." Mongeese? He
remained frustrated until inspiration struck.

"Dear sir. Please send me a mongoose. While you are at it, send me
another."
Old April 17th 05, 07:53 PM
Marina

Exocat wrote:
Rikki Tikki Tavi the mongoose IIRC.

My family's first cat, brought home by my sister a few months before I
was born, was named Rikki after Rikki-Tikki-Tavi. Nikki is sort of named
in honour of Rikki's memory.

--
Marina, Frank, Nikki, and introducing: Mere!
Old April 17th 05, 11:09 PM
Enfilade

Yup, that'd be it. Luckily Raki's little culed-back Spitz tail can't do
much of anything so hasn't upset B & S at all. And they've all sniffed
each other at both ends now, they're just mutually underwhelmed. No
interest in inter-species friendships. Yet. But the total lack of
hostility (apart from warning hisses when Raki gets too much
in-yer-face) is encouraging.

Hey, as long as neither side is intent on committing genocide against
the other species, I'd call that a victory. Hell, it sounds like Raki
and B&S are getting along better than Nox and Smokey who are both
feline and have lived together for three years. (Smokey is still,
occasionally, attempting to lick/jump on Nox; Nox still hisses if he
so much as looks at her the wrong way.)

--Fil