Up-date on Girly

Old June 30th 05, 05:37 PM
Jen M. via CatKB.com

Default Up-date on Girly

I picked up Girly yesterday from her foster mom's. Girly is a tortie cat and
is quite the 'frady cat' too. Ironically--around 5:00-6:00 p.m.--I call this
the witching hour, lol, Girly changes completely into quite the huntress who
is joyous, active, curious, out-going, loving, etc.--though she still avoids
me during this time. During daylights hours it is a completely different cat.
She is quite timid, makes herself very small, shakes, etc.

Girly is quite a smart cat. If I have moved something--that will be the
first thing that she explores--I don't care how small or in an unusual place
it is that I have moved something--she will know it right away.

Girly has lost down to 7 lbs. GRRRRr I feel this may be a safety or
territorial issue with the other three cats. With Spot and George-having
separate food bowls would never work.

Initially the foster mom thought that Girly may have to be a barn cat who is
brought in at night. I have a one-bedroom apartment. The area that I live
has lost of street traffic, quite noisy, and has lots of neighbors doing
house repairs, etc. I generally keep a soothing cd going to help drown out
some of these sounds.

Girly came in to the shelter with a group of 30 other cats. Girly is a feral
cat.

Penny, the foster mom, fostered Girly for two months before I adopted her to
help her to be more social. The shelter people told me that Girly would be
fine in two weeks--well!! Because Girly is such a beautiful girl--and
doesn't touch your heart--Penny agreed to foster her again for two weeks to
see if she could do an assessment and maybe break the cycle that we were
going through. During this time Penny started Girly on Aspen Bach Flower
Essence and I started the other two cats on it here at home as well. All the
cats were switched to Evo cat food at the same time here and at Penny's.

I have had experience only with typical go-happy cats. This is my first time
with a 'frady cat' or a feral.

The foster mom said that she didn't think Girly looked happy--but then after
a couple of days--without encouragement--Girly jumped in the foster mom's lap
for loving and did other unprovoked overatures at being social and seeking
Penny out. The other two cats may not jump in my lap--I have a recliner only-
-and George is generally laying on the arm of the recliner--so it may be
marked at his territory.

George, is a Blue Russian cat--he was part of the group that Girly came in.
He is quite the character--goes between big goof ball to alfa cat. We
thought that George may be too much for Girly--but then at her foster mom's a
cat came up to Girly to play and Girly swatted the cat--not bad--just to say
that she wasn't interested. YEAH! Both I and Penny (foster mom) was happy
about this--may mean she is coming out of her shell a bit and blossoming into
the Diva that she is.

Girly is quite a beautiful and remarkable cat--and a delicate soul too.

We have had a hell of a two months--now going on three months--adjusting--and
probably I contributed largely to this because I wasn't familiar with ferel
cats--or used to cats with so many healthy and adjustment issues. It does
seem though now that we are over the worst of it.

Penny and I aren't sure if this is the best home for Girly. She does seem to
have buddied up quite well with George and Spot--all three of them sleep
together and play, etc.

With Girly being such a 'frady cat'--it would be difficult to find her a home
who would have the patience in being loving, gentle, and patient with her.
Penny feels that though we are still having some scaredness--that overall we
have made great strides and Penny is confident with the new food and Aspen
that Girly will put on the 1-2 lbs that she needs. Penny doesn't feel that
it is Girly's nature to be over 8-9 lbs.

I am opening this up for discussion. I don't want my 'soft spot' for Girly
to impede what may actually be best for Girly. I certainly will not return
her to the pound! I am somewhat new in the area and don't know anyone that I
could ask to give Girly a loving home.

As I mentioned, I did exasperate the situation with the cats--and feeling a
bit overwhelmed. I can tell a difference in George and Spot since Girly was
gone. They are more calm and sure of their home--much more comfortable and
not as skittish with me. All the cats are fine with me sitting or laying in
the floor to pet them--George will walk around me feet when I am in the
kitchen--but other than that--they are gone and hiding. If I reach for one
of the cats or hold one--they tear me up to get away--grrrrrrr.

Much love to all of you!

Sincerely,
Jen