[OT] I dare you all...

Old February 16th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

Default [OT] I dare you all...

"Christina Websell" wrote

| Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsover, they
are
| allowed to die of old age. Maybe aged 10 or 12.

| I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand up on
| their legs by eight weeks of age. I would be ashamed if I did.

Are there no other types of chickens still in existence, that you could
raise for your own consumption? If not, where do stores get the meat from
"free-range" chickens? How would those "free-range" chickens walk around to
find their food if they could not stand up? Does this mean that all the
"free-range" chicken in the stores is fraudulent?

Old February 16th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default I dare you all...

On Feb 16, 1:18�pm, "Pat"
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote

| Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsover, they
are
| allowed to die of old age. *Maybe aged 10 or 12.

| I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand up on
| their legs by eight weeks of age. *I would be ashamed if I did.

Are there no other types of chickens still in existence, that you could
raise for your own consumption? If not, where do stores get the meat from
"free-range" chickens? How would those "free-range" chickens walk around to
find their food if they could not stand up? Does this mean that all the
"free-range" chicken in the stores is fraudulent?

Of course there are still yard chickens suitable for slaughter in
existence...I don't think that's what Tweed meant, I think she was
making reference to commercially-bred chickens. Rhode Island Reds,
Dominecker, Leghorns, all are good layers and can be put on the table.
It's just a very different bird than what we're used to, coming from
the supermarket. The breast is much smaller, (overall the whole
chicken is much smaller). It's a bit tougher than a supermarket bird,
and the skin is yellower. (maybe because it isn't bleached).
Commercial free-range chicken farmers likely have a different breed
than what I'm familiar with, because they are much better to eat than
what we have raised.

Sherry

Old February 16th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep©

In et,
Pat purred:
"Christina Websell" wrote

Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsoever,
they are allowed to die of old age. Maybe aged 10 or 12.

I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand
up on their legs by eight weeks of age. I would be ashamed if I did.

Are there no other types of chickens still in existence, that you
could raise for your own consumption? If not, where do stores get the
meat from "free-range" chickens? How would those "free-range"
chickens walk around to find their food if they could not stand up?
Does this mean that all the "free-range" chicken in the stores is
fraudulent?

Pat - Get off Christina's back. (and get back on your meds - you are one
step from getting plonked by me - and I only plonk those like "usenetlynn"
and "mary", "barry" "PW" (I daren't say his name or that will bring him) and
other nutcases, and you are slowly leading me to believe you are a nutjob)

First you lambaste her for raising chickens - then you're lambasting her for
NOT raising chickens to eat. She does what she does because she *wants* to.
Same as you chose *not* to eat meat because you *don't* want to.

Old February 16th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Sherry" wrote

On Feb 16, 1:18?pm, "Pat"
wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote

| Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsover, they
are
| allowed to die of old age. Maybe aged 10 or 12.

| I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand up on
| their legs by eight weeks of age. I would be ashamed if I did.

Are there no other types of chickens still in existence, that you could
raise for your own consumption? If not, where do stores get the meat from
"free-range" chickens? How would those "free-range" chickens walk around
find their food if they could not stand up? Does this mean that all the
"free-range" chicken in the stores is fraudulent?

Of course there are still yard chickens suitable for slaughter in
existence...I don't think that's what Tweed meant, I think she was
making reference to commercially-bred chickens. Rhode Island Reds,
Dominecker, Leghorns, all are good layers and can be put on the table.
It's just a very different bird than what we're used to, coming from
the supermarket. The breast is much smaller, (overall the whole
chicken is much smaller). It's a bit tougher than a supermarket bird,
and the skin is yellower. (maybe because it isn't bleached).
Commercial free-range chicken farmers likely have a different breed
than what I'm familiar with, because they are much better to eat than
what we have raised.

I'm glad to hear this. I know nothing about chickens, and the way she put
her reply seemed to indicate that there are just two basic groups of
chickens: (1) rare breeds with no meat on them, and (2) the rest, which
can't stand up after 8 weeks of age.

Old February 16th 07, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote

| Pat - Get off Christina's back. (and get back on your meds - you are one
| step from getting plonked by me - and I only plonk those like "usenetlynn"
| and "mary", "barry" "PW" (I daren't say his name or that will bring him)
and
| other nutcases, and you are slowly leading me to believe you are a nutjob)
|
| First you lambaste her for raising chickens - then you're lambasting her
for
| NOT raising chickens to eat. She does what she does because she *wants*
to.
| Same as you chose *not* to eat meat because you *don't* want to.

I did no "lambasting" of anyone, I never said I don't eat meat, I'm on no
one's back, on no meds and am no nut job. I wish you would plonk me so I
won't have to read your idiotic reactionary writings in my threads anymore.

Old February 18th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Christina Websell" wrote

| Rare breed chickens such as I keep have no meat on them whatsover, they
are
| allowed to die of old age. Maybe aged 10 or 12.

| I don't keep meat chickens who are so obese that they cannot stand up on
| their legs by eight weeks of age. I would be ashamed if I did.

Are there no other types of chickens still in existence, that you could
raise for your own consumption?

Yes, there are utility pure breed chickens that can raised for meat and give
a few eggs along the way. I choose not to keep them.

If not, where do stores get the meat from
"free-range" chickens?

Free range is a loose thing if chickens are reared in great numbers. The
idea is that they can go out, the reality is the house is as big as an
aircraft hangar and very few notice the popholes.

How would those "free-range" chickens walk around to
find their food if they could not stand up? Does this mean that all the
"free-range" chicken in the stores is fraudulent?

No. I am talking about broiler chickens. These are the ones in the
supermarket with the nice big breast meat which causes them to collapse
because their legs cannot take the weight.

Free range chickens for meat grow slowly compared with broilers - 8 months
compared with 8 weeks, that's why they cost so much more.

Tweed

Old February 18th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

My sister raises chickens for meat and a different breed for eggs, she has
switched the breed she uses for meat because of this collapsing issue, hers
are free range, they get out every day they eat a healthy diet plus what
they scratch and this particular breed she had that collapsed was just
genetically altered to grow that way, she said it was just plain cruel to
watch them walk... she also said that since she was raising them to eat the
least she could do is raise some that weren't going to suffer. Lee

Old February 18th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for defending me, Nancy!
It doesn't matter to me what Pat thinks of me, nor anyone else, for that
matter. I am in Pollyanna mode to deal with my hospital stuff. How lucky I
am to have access to a hospital. How lucky I am not to live in a third
world country and tramp for miles and days to get medical help. And all
that, I have no energy to argue about anything on the group for now. I'm
quite poorly. Besides why do I want to argue about anything, anyway?
Leave me out for now, but wait until I am well again.

Tweed

Old February 18th 07, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

You are still in my prayers every day Christina

I am scared when you get well again LOOK OUT ;-)

"Christina Websell"

Do I dare? jmcquown Cat anecdotes 18 October 19th 06 12:00 AM
[OT] [OT] Now I've seen it all.... Pat Cat anecdotes 24 August 1st 06 12:41 PM
[OT] Pup Shoots Man... Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 3 September 10th 04 07:16 AM
[OT] Purrs for Russian kids Yowie Cat anecdotes 46 September 6th 04 12:57 AM
How DARE you!!!!!!! Mischief Cat anecdotes 153 June 24th 04 01:50 AM