Integrating the new kitties

Old June 16th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

Default Integrating the new kitties

Sherry wrote:
Don't worry about them--they'll adjust to each other. I think
separating them now is
good, simply because Buster is chasing Dot. You don't want her to feel
terrorized.

You know, there's such a difference in her when they're separated.
She's sitting here with me so purry and sweet and relaxed. When she's
with Buster, she's a sad and unhappy hidey-kitty. Even in her own
room, when I'm not there, she goes into hiding. It's only when she
sees it's me that she comes out.

The process is just starting. Just a few minutes ago, I think I fell
in love with Buster. I sat down on the sofa and he was climbed up on
my shoulder and started headbutting my chin. As I cuddled him, he
went into the cello position and licked an incision - and I remembered
that they told me that he was neutered only yesterday.

And at that moment I realized that I had been thinking of him all this
time as an adult - a young adult, but an adult. But he just seemed
like such an adult because he is such a well mannered cat. And I
thought about his neutering, the cages, his stoicism in the ride home,
his encounter with a new hoomin and a new kitty... I thought... he's
been through so much today, and he's really only a baby. I have to
protect him, and take care of him.

Right now though, I think it's Dot who needs more of my attention to
build up her confidence.

Old June 16th 07, 06:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jun 16, 1:43 am, GaDragonfly wrote:
With Sam
and Hobbes they put on the appearance of truly hating each other.
Usually Sam is the aggressor but I've watched Hobbes start a fight as
well. Just yesterday, Hobbes was at my feet with his back to the room
and Sam came around the corner, saw Hobbes' back and ran...literally,
he ran and jumped onto Hobbes' back and bit him. They don't draw
blood but they attack each other like this at least once or twice a
week. They growl at each other on a daily basis. But when I feed
them, they'll eat right next to each other and sometimes I'll go back
to the bedroom and find them asleep, 6 inches away from each other,
almost touching paws.

Sorry about replying to myself but I did want to mention that
interestingly enough, every time one or the other of my "big boys" is
sick, they don't fight. When Sam had his surgery to remove the tumor
last October not once did Hobbes take advantage of Sam's inability to
defend himself. When Hobbes recently had the trouble with the abscess
on his bottom, Sam reacted the same way. Not once did Sam attack
Hobbes. They would even go so far as to touch noses as if to check on
the condition of the other.
Julie

Old June 16th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

GaDragonfly wrote:
It sounds like Buster is trying to make friends, the fact that he's
trying to get close and then lying down is a non-aggressive posture
and a cat's way of saying, "I'm not a threat to you, I want to be
friends". They're probably making eye contact which makes Dot nervous
and she runs, which to a young cat like Buster is an invitation to
play. He thinks she wants to play chase! Are you sure Dot is unhappy
or are *you* assuming she is unhappy? How long does she stay in her
hiding place?

I've seen her happy, and I've seen her afraid, so I'm pretty sure she
doesn't see it as a game. She does hiss and growl at Buster.
Buster's hackles were up when he first met Dot, but then he seemed to
relax and like her a little better. Dot didn't change though.

I'm finding it easier to read Dot than Buster at the moment. Dot
looks a bit like Betty, and has quite a few of her mannerisms too.
She's also the age that Betty would have been if she were still alive.
I'm sure it's coincidence, but I even wondered if they were
littermates.

I realize that Megan has a lot of experience
with a lot of different cats and I respect that, but I'm not sure
totally separating them is such a good idea. You're giving Buster a
chance to establish his own territory in the main part of the house
and Dot is going to have only one room. I wouldn't leave them together
alone but right now you have two cats who are in a new environment
without their own territory. They have a chance to set boundries
together.

That's what I was hoping for initially. Maybe I can change tactics
later to rotate them more frequently or set up controlled meetings to
try to keep the territory neutral. I figured that worst comes to
worst, one cat would dominate the main area, and then I'd simply have
to fall back on the protocol for introducing a new cat to an incumbent
cat. I'm really hoping it won't go that route though.

ps: Barnabus wants to know what is wrong with being on the counter?
How else is an inquisitive boy cat supposed to learn what his slave is
doing? (Seriously, when Barnabus jumps onto the counter I gently push
him off so that he has to jump down and at the same time telling him
he's not supposed to be on the counter. Over time this has worked.
He will occasionally still jump up onto the counter but jumps right
back down when I turn to look at him.)

I've just been picking them up and putting them down on the floor.

Old June 16th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
GaDragonfly

On Jun 16, 2:00 am, Takayuki wrote:

I've seen her happy, and I've seen her afraid, so I'm pretty sure she
doesn't see it as a game.

No, Lacey doesn't see it as a game either but Barnabus thinks she's
playing. I'm not sure it's a game when she chases him, but again, he
enjoys it so who am I to argue with the feline way of thinking?

Julie

Old June 16th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Takayuki wrote:
I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

Then that's probably his real name.

I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

Caliban has always been a counter cat. He just needs to check out
everything I do. Mostly I have to push his nose out of whatever I'm
handling on the counter. It never even crossed my mind to try and keep
him off the counter. It doesn't bother me that he's there. He often even
sleeps there.

By the way, here's a video clip of Burt/Buster/whatever-his-name-is at
the shelter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhdr0xR2Qc

Now that I see him move, he does look a lot like Caliban. He has many of
the same moves. When you couldn't see his face at the beginning, he
looked exactly like Caliban doing the cello.

Old June 16th 07, 08:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:04:15 +0300, Marina
yodeled:

Takayuki wrote:
[...]

What a darling face! And those thumbs just kill me.

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old June 16th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-06-16 00:43:51 -0500, Takayuki said:

Sherry wrote:
Don't worry about them--they'll adjust to each other. I think
separating them now is
good, simply because Buster is chasing Dot. You don't want her to feel
terrorized.

You know, there's such a difference in her when they're separated.
She's sitting here with me so purry and sweet and relaxed. When she's
with Buster, she's a sad and unhappy hidey-kitty. Even in her own
room, when I'm not there, she goes into hiding. It's only when she
sees it's me that she comes out.

The process is just starting. Just a few minutes ago, I think I fell
in love with Buster. I sat down on the sofa and he was climbed up on
my shoulder and started headbutting my chin. As I cuddled him, he
went into the cello position and licked an incision - and I remembered
that they told me that he was neutered only yesterday.

Heh. I saw that video. He is a champion cello positioner!

And at that moment I realized that I had been thinking of him all this
time as an adult - a young adult, but an adult. But he just seemed
like such an adult because he is such a well mannered cat. And I
thought about his neutering, the cages, his stoicism in the ride home,
his encounter with a new hoomin and a new kitty... I thought... he's
been through so much today, and he's really only a baby. I have to
protect him, and take care of him.

They have both had a big day!

Right now though, I think it's Dot who needs more of my attention to
build up her confidence.

Remember Rome was not built in a day.

Old June 16th 07, 11:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-06-16 01:00:50 -0500, Takayuki said:

GaDragonfly wrote:
[...]

They do not sound like they are enemies that need to be always
separated. Merelly figuring it out. You definitely want some controlled
meetings or they won't figure it out.

ps: Barnabus wants to know what is wrong with being on the counter?
How else is an inquisitive boy cat supposed to learn what his slave is
doing? (Seriously, when Barnabus jumps onto the counter I gently push
him off so that he has to jump down and at the same time telling him
he's not supposed to be on the counter. Over time this has worked.
He will occasionally still jump up onto the counter but jumps right
back down when I turn to look at him.)

I've just been picking them up and putting them down on the floor.

It should be enough.

Old June 16th 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-06-16 01:08:05 -0500, GaDragonfly said:

On Jun 16, 2:00 am, Takayuki wrote:

I've seen her happy, and I've seen her afraid, so I'm pretty sure she
doesn't see it as a game.

No, Lacey doesn't see it as a game either but Barnabus thinks she's
playing. I'm not sure it's a game when she chases him, but again, he
enjoys it so who am I to argue with the feline way of thinking?

Julie

That's pretty much how Sugar and Pearl play too. They seem to enjoy it
now. The only rule is "no touchy". But Sugar hisses when cornered and
Pearl doesn't exactly back off immediately, but does sit and look smug.
Then she turns and leaves. Or she chases Sugar like hell on fire and
breaks off to go furiously claw a cat pole. It's odd, but they seem to
enjoy it.

Old June 16th 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Takayuki" wrote in message
I'm finding myself calling Burt "Buster", for some reason.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on integrating these two. They
didn't seem to be fighting, but when they meet, what usually happens
is that Dot will hiss and growl, Buster will try to get a little
closer and lie down, and eventually there will be a commotion with Dot
running to a hiding spot, and Buster chasing her. After Dot finds her
new hiding spot, Buster will lose interest, and Dot will just stay
there all big eyed and unhappy. Dot is such a social and needy cat,
it really pains me to see her hiding!

So I finally decided to separate them, based on what I've seen so far,
and some advice I got from Megan (zuzu). Dot is in my downstairs
den/bedroom, and Buster has the run of most of the rest of the
downstairs, including the living room and kitchen. Most of the other
rooms are closed off. I'm planning on switching them periodically.

But obviously I don't want to keep them completely separated forever,
as then there won't be any progress, and I so want them to at least
tolerate each other!

I also notice that these two are much cheekier than Betty was. They
both want to be on my desk when I'm on the computer, and on the
counter when I'm in the kitchen. I hope that's just a phase.

By the way, here's a video clip of Burt/Buster/whatever-his-name-is at
the shelter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmhdr0xR2Qc

I feel so neglectful of him right now, because I'm sitting here with
Dot! I'm trying to balance their needs - Dot is more dependant on
hoomin reassurance, whereas Buster seems to have a better developed
sense of entitlement.

It's important to introduce them slowly and also to spend quite a bit of
time with each one (separately). Some cats can simply be put together, but
that is a *huge* mistake if they do not "take" to each other. That can
actually delay the process of integration. You have two cats that are
strangers to each other and are also being brought into an entirely new
environment, so I would encourage you to take a very slow and cautious
approach. I adopted Duffy at a time when I thought I could not have a
second cat because Holly had always been so aggressive toward any other
cats. I also followed Megan's advice -- to a "T" -- and it worked
beautifully. It took a full 6 weeks before I left the two of them together
at all times. I would not expect it to take that long for yours because
mine were both adult cats and Holly had "owned" me for several years. I am
going to attach links under my sig to a "pictorial history" of the way I
introduced Holly and Duffy.

Concatulations on the new adoptions! I was really excited to see that you
now have two new furbabies to take over ownership of your heart.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")