OTP: Holy cow, er, cat

Old August 18th 03, 05:42 PM
Jo Firey

Default OTP: Holy cow, er, cat

A cat that attends church? At Sunday's 10:00 a.m. service at Mission
Hills
United Methodist Church, in pranced a handsome gray and white long-haired
cat. It cruised the aisles, licked its fur, and curled up in a pew right
next to
parishioner Larry Granfield for a cat nap - right in the middle of the Rev.
Craig
Dorval's sermon.

Churchgoers welcomed back "Bootsy Guzinski," who had been missed the last
couple of months and was now a skinnier version of his former self, causing
church secretary Judy Mefford to wonder if he might have hopped aboard
moving
van loading up across the street at the time he disappeared.

Bootsy' real home is down the block with Vivian Guzinski. But he started
frequenting the church after his "dad," Arthur Guzinski, passed away in
1996.

Ever since, Bootsy, a rescued pound cat, has been as faithful as they
come --
attending Sunday devotions, joining in the two weekly AA meetings in the
church's basement, going to exercise classes, Christmas programs, weddings,
keeping Mefford company in her church office, even attending garden club
sessions. During one, Boosy leaped through a half-open window mid-meeting
and proudly presented his human friends with a mouse.......
a church mouse, no doubt.

--
Jo Firey

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take
our breath away."

Old August 18th 03, 06:27 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Jo Firey wrote:

A cat that attends church? At Sunday's 10:00 a.m. service at Mission
Hills
United Methodist Church,

St. George's Episcopal in La Canada, CA used to have a cat who attended
services regularly, too! (I can't call him a "regular communicant",
since I never saw him partake, but he did seem to favor the kneeling
cushions at the altar-rail for naps.)
Old August 18th 03, 06:28 PM
Cathi

In message , Jo Firey
writes
A cat that attends church?

Canterbury Cathedral used to have a ginger tom cat which treated the
Cathedral as its own, and apparently was known to wander the length of
the aisle following whoever was leading a procession at the time - even
the Archbishop. The Cathedral Shop used to sell (may even still do)
stuffed toy ginger cats with a label on them explaining the story.

My boss' cat hasn't quite reached such a lofty station as yet, but has
been known to attend Evensong.

--
Cathi
Old August 18th 03, 06:45 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

A cat that attends church?

It's not that unusual for rural parishes over here in Old Blighty to sometimes
have a service where people can bring their animals & local god rep will bless
them (the animals) :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 18th 03, 07:03 PM
Tanada

Marina wrote:

LOL! A cat who attends AA meetings! Maybe that would be something for Pam's
Berfert?

Berfert seems to have created his own chapter of AA. Tanada, however,
re-discovered the joys of bleach. We used some to take some stains off
one of the kitchen counter Sunday, and she got totally high off of it.
Do you think there's a chapter of BA (Bleacher's Anonymouse)

Pam S.
Old August 18th 03, 07:21 PM
bewtifulfreak

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
A cat that attends church?

It's not that unusual for rural parishes over here in Old Blighty to
sometimes have a service where people can bring their animals & local
god rep will bless them (the animals) :-)

Don't know how many of you have seen it, since it's an English sitcom, but
that reminds me of an episode of "The Vicar of Dibley" where she decided to
allow animals into church for the Sunday service (I forget what exactly
inspired this), and the powers that be were all upset and said she'd make a
laughing stock of them (there were tabloid stories and everything), but it
turned out really successful; everyone and their dog (LOL) attended, and it
all turned out well in the end. It was quite funny.

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Old August 18th 03, 10:39 PM
polonca12000

What a great story! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
A cat that attends church? At Sunday's 10:00 a.m. service at Mission
Hills
United Methodist Church, in pranced a handsome gray and white long-haired
cat. snip

Old August 18th 03, 11:22 PM
Lisa Katt

Hugo Katt is a church cat. Or rather a church yard cat. He is not supposed
to enter the church, but it happens sometimes. He has been known to attend
funerals. At least he is appropriately dressed - all black fur and silver
(reflecting) collar.

His job is to hunt rabbits and mice in the church yard. He inherited the job
from his mother who was church yard cat before him. He loves his job and is
very good at it.

Our church was built in 1200-something - so long ago that there are no exact
records.

Elisabet
Happy to share my house and my life with Hugo Katt, the black church yard
cat http://jump.to/hugokatt

Jo Firey skrev i meddelandet ...
A cat that attends church? At Sunday's 10:00 a.m. service at Mission
Hills
United Methodist Church, in pranced a handsome gray and white long-haired
cat. It cruised the aisles, licked its fur, and curled up in a pew right
next to
parishioner Larry Granfield for a cat nap - right in the middle of the

Rev.
Craig
Dorval's sermon.

snip

Old August 19th 03, 12:46 AM
Yoj

"Jo Firey" wrote in message
[...]

My church used to have a cat who showed up for the coffee hour after
Sunday morning services. He liked attention, and especially liked being
picked up, although he drooled copiously when he was held for any length
of time. He'd get shut up in the church every once in a while, but he
didn't seem upset, and managed to "hold it" until someone showed up the
next day and let him out. His name was Leo, and his people lived
nearby. Eventually he stopped turning up, and we never knew what
happened to him.

Fast forward several years. Our church merged with another church about
10 miles away. We began having our services at the other church, and
during-the-week meetings at our old church. There was a cat that would
show up at the other church. If it was warm, and the doors were open,
he would often come in for the services. His favorite place to nap was
the choir loft, but he would occasionally favor a parishioner for a
while.

Joy