Halogen ovens (OT)

Old November 8th 09, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Halogen ovens (OT)

Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old November 8th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lesley wrote:
Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Never heard of them! They must call them something else, here in the
U.S.A. (Was it Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw who described England
and America as "two countries divided by a common tongue"?)
Old November 8th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Lesley wrote:
Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Never heard of them! They must call them something else, here in the
U.S.A. (Was it Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw who described England
and America as "two countries divided by a common tongue"?)

Is the magazine "Consumers Report" available to you? It is a good guide
to purchasing products. If not, perhaps you could find its report on
Google. MLB
Old November 8th 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lesley" wrote in message
Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for
the
two of us

For those in the US that might call them something else.

http://www.morningware.com/oven.html

(And PS you aren't watching enough infomercials and very late night
TV)

My daughter has one but I'll have to ask her what she thinks of it.

I think I'd rather have a good countertop convection/toaster oven.
But I don't have the counter space.

Jo

Old November 8th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"Lesley" wrote in message
Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

For those in the US that might call them something else.

http://www.morningware.com/oven.html

(And PS you aren't watching enough infomercials and very late night TV)

My daughter has one but I'll have to ask her what she thinks of it.

I think I'd rather have a good countertop convection/toaster oven. But I
don't have the counter space.

Jo

Oh dear. I certainly wouldn't replace my regular oven with something like
that!

Jill

Old November 8th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Lesley" wrote in message

Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

The ad didn't work for me, but I'm assuming its based on infrared
technology. Whilst I've never used one for cooking food, I have lots of
experience with one in an industrial setting.

Yes, its true that it will heat up things very quickly. Its also true that
it will take less energy than a convection oven.

But I can imagine[1] that since it works in a similar way to microwaves
(using particular wavelengths to excite molecules and therefore making them
heat up) that the food would come out cooked much the way a microwave does -
that is, cooked but with no browning and little opportunity for flavours to
blend. I'd also hazard guess that much like a microwave, you'd still run
the risk of having it overcooked onthe outside and still icey cold onthe
inside.

Yowie
[1] I could be horribly wrong, too
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old November 17th 09, 07:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 2:37 pm, "Yowie" wrote:
"Lesley" wrote in message

[...]

I agree with what Jo posted. I, too, stay up really late and see
people dragging
delicious looking food out of these hunks of plastic that cost about a
hundred bucks
here. You can do all kinds of tricks in tv commercials, LOL. Outside
of that, I was
thinking ihe thing would make a great little litterbox (no spillage)
if there was a
bottom to put litter in (but then there's the hundred bucks).
There are all kinds of hysterically funny ads on late night tv Like
Yowie, I take
them pulling out perfectly grilled steaks from this item with a big
grain of salt.....
Let the buyer beware.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Along the lines of taking these commercials with a grain of salt...My sister
once bought a flat griddle of some sort. She said the ad showed that it
would immediately melt an ice cube without any preheating. She found that
it worked perfectly to melt the ice cube, but did nothing for frozen meat or
veggies!!

MaryL

Old November 18th 09, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Lesley" wrote in message
Does anyone here use the above or have any experience of them?
We're considering getting one as our oven is really too big for the
two of us

Well, I've seen them but I don't want yet another appliance sitting on my
worktop.
I have a full-sized oven with hob and I don't find it too big for me but I
like to cook.
I think what you might be saying is that you don't and if so I would just
use the microwave without spending 200 on a halogen oven.

Does that make sense?

Tweed

Old November 19th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Nov 18, 8:52*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I think what you might be saying is that you don't

I like cooking when I have time to do it properly like at weekends but
our cooker is too big for day to day use it takes ages to pre-heat and
that adds to the electric bill also the halogen oven stands on the
worktop Dave can use it. He can't bend down enough to get trays etc
in and out of the oven without there being a possibility he could fall
over or drop things so it would be better for him to use- he's the
better cook out of the pair of us!

and if so I would just
use the microwave without spending 200 on a halogen oven.

We weren't going to go for the 200 models- you can get them much
cheaper than that and the cheaper ones perform just as well in tests.
The microwave is fine for some things but it doesn't brown things

Old November 19th 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote:
[...]

You are not kidding....if "crispy" is what you want, forget the
nuking
machine, LOL. I nuke many, many things that ordinarily folks use
other countertop or freestanding kitchen appliances for....but have
to abandon my usual standby, the microwave, for browning.
Luckily, about the only time this issue looms its self is the
holiday Thanksgiving with all that oven roasting, etc.
To each their own....for what they need in food prep.
*******************
I really get the use out of the microwave on Thanksgiving as a way
of bringing everything back up to serving temperature at the same
time. I don't know how my mother managed to get everything on the
table, hot at the same time. But she did.

Now I say something in the store a few days ago that looked a little
strange to me. It was a fat free turkey deep fryer. I didn't check
out the price. To busy thinking of what are they going to dream up
to misrepresent something for marketing purposes next.

It was an infrared cooker, but designed so you can drop the turkey
into it from the top so you will 'feel' like you are deep frying it.

Strange.

Jo