OT--ISN'T THIS A CAT GROUP???

Old August 15th 11, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

Default OT--ISN'T THIS A CAT GROUP???

On Aug 15, 3:18*pm, CatNipped wrote:
On 8/15/2011 2:31 PM, Sherry wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:53 pm, *wrote:
On 8/15/2011 6:29 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

I am getting discouraged with this group. *There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

* * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
* * * *(44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I'm sorry, I know I'm the biggest offender. *I'll try to make myself
more scarce from now on so others can enjoy the group and not be forced
to go to FaceBook. *No hard feelings, I know where you're coming from.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

I'm really sorry to hear you say that. It's not all about you. There
have been posts about
everything from bedtime stories to movies to books to riots to air
conditioning to
unclaimed property and everything else in between. And for the most
part, I've enjoyed
them all and participated in them.
However, and remember, you have my deepest sympathy for the illness
you're struggling with--
but the graphic descriptions in your last post turned me quite off. I
agree that, if venting makes
you feel better, you should by all means do it.
However again, I come to this group for entertainment and to get my
mind off *my* problems.
Your "rotting in the ground" descriptive was too much for me. It just
made me think of all the
cats I have "rotting in the ground". My next thought -- probably since
my mother's 80th
birthday would have been today -- about *her* "rotting in the ground."
So, no thanks. Call me selfish, but I will not read another post which
is that graphic.

Sherry

I'm very sorry I offended you.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

Lori, it's not like I haven't written the same kind of stuff too --
everybody has
bad days and anyone with a chronic illness doubtless has *really* bad
days.
Only I keep a handwritten journal.
You seem to need feedback and I understand that. Have you ever thought
about
blogging? My DD, who has a specific health issue, started blogging in
a group
*with those same issues*. Sure, they were strangers at first. But she
developed
good friendships AND, unlike usenet, *no one* objects because
occasional
pity parties are "off topic". They support each other. And I"m sure
they learn
from each other. If there isn't a specific group for ileostomy
patients, couldn't
you try starting one? Or just use a regular blogging forum, and with
the right
keywords, I bet others would find your blog if you made it google-
searchable.
Even just *writing* in a blog I think would help you. And you wouldn't
risk throwing
ultra-personal details "out there" where they are subject to
criticism, or be
pushing somebody else's hot buttons as is always possible with OT
posts in
a usenet forum.
HTH
Sherry
Old August 15th 11, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"CatNipped" wrote:

The problem with that is that you don't know how graphic it's going to
be until you've already read it. Maybe we need a "graphic description
warning"? That seems fair to me. What do you think, CN?

It really doesn't matter any more, I was wrong to post that - knew that
when I did it but didn't have the self-restraint to not hit the send key.
I'm going to wean off of the newsgroup as much as I can so I won't be
even tempted to do that again.

It sounds like you haven't even read what the majority of us are saying
to you. This frustrates me. People are always doing this kind of thing.
Not just you, I see it everywhere. Drives me nuts:

- It's fine, go ahead.
- Oh, I couldn't. It would be so wrong of me to do that.
- No, really, it's fine. I meant it.
- I swear I'll never do that again. I'm so embarrassed.
- It's no trouble. I wouldn't offer if it were.
- I'm just going to go off into the corner and be quiet now...

It's like a contest to see who can be the most accomodating. Why are
people so afraid to accept each other's generosity and willingness to
help? Why are we so insistent on "doing it all for ourselves"? Are
people afraid that they might owe something to someone? If so, why?
What's so terrible about that?

So jeez, CN. People are telling you it's fine to vent your stuff here.
If it's super-graphic, a warning in the subject line is probably called
for, but that doesn't mean don't post it. One person complained about
OT posts, so what? We're all grownups here. If a subject doesn't appeal
to someone, they don't have to read it. Nobody's forcing them.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
Old August 15th 11, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

wrote in message
On 8/15/2011 2:57 PM, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

[...]

tempted to do that again. I'll still be around whenever I have a cat
story or pictures to share - I just put some on FB and am going to add
them to my web site to post here.

FFS, Lori. *One* person is objecting to OT posts (not necessarily yours)
and does that really matter? Your situation is very difficult and you've
been told by most it's quite OK to vent, but with a graphic warning if
necessary.

You have forgotten what I emailed you last week already.
Remember what I said.
Also remember "this, too, will pass.."

Tweed
(still with mega shoulder probs)

Are you pain pills not working any more? The biggest problems with pain
therapy is that the body so soon becomes accustomed to the drugs that
they are no long effective. Some times I'll even get off of them a
while - and put up with the awful withdrawals - just to get back their
original effectiveness.

I'm fine, I'm just having a bad couple of days.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at:
http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 15th 11, 11:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message
wrote in message
On 8/15/2011 2:57 PM, wrote:
Sherry wrote:

[...]

I wanted an appt with my brilliant doc to get the other drug but not until
26th august. I think I can manage with the pain until then.
She did improve it, though, with the meds she gave but it is not enough yet.

Old August 15th 11, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

What you said. You are so near to my beliefs in most things you could be my
twin.
Tweed

Old August 16th 11, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Aug 15, 6:29 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off topic
posts and very few posts about our cats.

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I know what you're saying. But we just all need to start some more
cat
threads to balance things out a bit. I've read elsewhere that rpca is
turning into more of a support group for cat owners than being
actually
about cats. Newsgroups just evolve that way. That's why I am starting
to follow facebook more closely than rpca. Lots and lots of cat
stories--AND
photos and videos too.
What about Amber and Tiger? Doesn't Amber have a birthday soon? Hope
she is doing well, and Tiger too.

Sherry

***

I have enjoyed a lot of the cat stories posted here, but I often don't read
entire threads. It's easy enough not to read what doesn't interest you. If
people need a support group, I'm glad we're here to help.

Joy

Old August 16th 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
---MIKE--- typed:
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off
topic posts and very few posts about our cats.

The standard advice for people complaining about the poor quality of a
newsgroup:

1) Use a killfile. Killfile the posters, subjects and headers you don't
like. In this case, almost threads that are off topic are marked 'OT' and
are therefore very easy to killfile. Feel free to do so (although you may
miss out ot cat-related posts further into the thread)

2) Contribute on-topic material rather than starting yet another off-topic
thread complaining about how many off-topic posts there are (see: irony).
Not only will you be adding to the quality of the group rather than further
diluting its signal to noise ratio, you may well also inspire other people
to respond in kind.

3) If you can't do the above two, stop reading the group and go find
something else you enjoy doing.

Yowie

Old August 16th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
---MIKE--- typed:
[...]

Right on, Yowie!

Joy

Old August 16th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
CatNipped typed:
On 8/15/2011 6:29 AM, ---MIKE--- wrote:
I am getting discouraged with this group. There are too many off
topic posts and very few posts about our cats.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I'm sorry, I know I'm the biggest offender. I'll try to make myself
more scarce from now on so others can enjoy the group and not be
forced to go to FaceBook. No hard feelings, I know where you're
coming from.

Anyone with half a brain could figure out that a post with 'OT' in the
subject that is from 'Catnipped' is most likely to be about the progression
/ symptoms of your illness. Its easy enough to simply skip over those posts,
or even killfile entirely. Your netiquette is exemplary, and thankyou for
allowing people an easy way to make the choice as to read such posts or not.
If it helps you cope, I cannot begrudge you that relief.

If they were posts that looked liek they were about cats, but had graphic
descriptions as a sort of 'easter egg' in the middle, *then* I'd be annoyed
at you. But they aren't. In my book, you are free to carry on, with the
understanding that not everyone (including myself) will read all your OT
posts.

Yowie

Old August 16th 11, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
Christina Websell typed:
wrote in message
"CatNipped" wrote:

[...]

I'll 3rd that sentiment. Well done Joyce for expressing it so well!

Yowie

Try my new group! Ryan Cat health & behaviour 0 March 2nd 06 11:35 PM
Group Hug! Bill Stock Cat anecdotes 1 October 4th 05 01:29 AM
This is a CAT group not a CHAT group BuZZard Cat health & behaviour 36 March 12th 05 04:37 AM
To the group [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 12 September 3rd 04 03:28 AM
To The Group Len Albrecht Cat health & behaviour 256 July 4th 04 07:55 AM