very sudden death?

Old January 23rd 04, 05:26 AM
Lee Frette

Default very sudden death?

Last Saturday, "Spitty", our 5.5 year old 20 lb. male tiger threw up a
half dozen or so times. Several of our other cats had thrown up over
the last few days, so we didn't have a major concern.

On Sunday, he threw up a few more times, but drank a little and seemed
to be lethargic, but otherwise OK. Around 6PM he navigated up a ladder
into the loft over my wife's craft room and hid. She retrieved him,
and he was barely moving. Shallow breathing. He could stand up and
navigate, but was a bit clumsy.

We got him to the Vets by 8PM. His heart rate was slightly elevated,
he had no temperature, and was slightly dehydrated. We left him in the
Vet's care. He was given fluid via an IV and was OK when the Vet left
at midnight. Testing was to begin in the AM. When the Vet arrived at
5:45 the next morning, Spitty had passed away a short time before.

Spitty was one of our healthiest kitties (we have 21). He had never
been sick, was playful, and never seemed to be uncomfortable. He is
also one of our "best" males - sort of the role model for the males.
None of our cats go outside.

I wanted to have an autopsy done, but the wife wouldn't hear of it.

Does anyone have any idea as to potential cause? Our Vet suggested
liver damage as a possibility.

Thanks.

Lee and Spitty
Old January 23rd 04, 05:49 AM
Sherry

I wanted to have an autopsy done, but the wife wouldn't hear of it.

Does anyone have any idea as to potential cause? Our Vet suggested
liver damage as a possibility.

Thanks.

Lee and Spitty

I'm sorry to hear about Spitty. We lost a cat suddenly last year, and did opt
for the necropsy, mostly because we have other cats and wanted to determine the
death was not something that the other cats would be at risk for also. You
mentioned the other cats were throwing up also...did the vet mention the
possibility of a poisonous plant, or some other substance the otheer cats could
have been exposed to also?

Sherry

Old January 23rd 04, 06:26 AM
Knack

"Lee Frette" wrote in message
[...]

The fact that some other cats were barfing causes me to suspect some sort of
poisoning. However, if that's the case then whatever poisoned them was new;
poisonous stuff had to have initially appeared inside or near the exterior
of your home beginning Saturday.

If there's something toxic that they're eating then that's a cause for
concern. You may still lose more cats unless you get rid of whatever it is
that they shouldn't be eating.

Old January 23rd 04, 07:00 AM
Kuisse0002

Personally, I feel that you should have the autopsy done. It will at least help
you to determine what caused his death.

It sounds like something poisonous. But in what form did the poison get to the
cats - rather than guessing, you must find out what caused his death.