Cat versus lawnmower !

Old October 4th 04, 02:57 AM
Brian Raab

Default Cat versus lawnmower !

Who will win ?
Old October 4th 04, 11:07 AM

Autumn is here in earnest, and the farm that delivers my weekly box of
veggies is now harvesting squash. Here's something for a frosty fall
night:

Butternut Squash Casserole

Ingredients

2 butternut squashes
1 red bell pepper
2 or 3 tomatoes
1 can of corn
fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic
monterey jack cheese
olive oil

Directions

Bake the squash until it is completely soft - about an hour at 400
degrees. Then cut them in half (lengthwise). Scoop out the seeds
first and throw them out. Then scoop out the squash and put it in a
bowl and mash it. Add some olive oil to make it smoother.

Dice the pepper and tomatoes, mince the garlic, and chop up some of
the cilantro. Add all of this plus the corn to the mashed squash.
Then grate about a cup's worth of the cheese and mix that in. Add
some salt and pepper.

Put this mixture into a baking pan (loaf pan, or whatever you have),
and then grate another cup of cheese, and cover the top of the squash
mixture with the cheese. Bake this at 400 degrees for 40 minutes.

Old October 4th 04, 11:23 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Autumn is here in earnest, and the farm that delivers my weekly box of
veggies is now harvesting squash. Here's something for a frosty fall
night:

Butternut Squash Casserole

OOOOOOOHHH! I *adore* butternut squash. Possibly my favourite vegetable. What's
a cilantro? Haven't heard of the term on this side of the pond.

What I tend to do with butternut squash is to cut it into quarters, peel &
deseed it. The I place it on a shallow roasting dish, brush lightly with extra
virgin olive oil and sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper. Then I roast it
in a hot oven until soft, with blackened edges. It is *delicious*

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 4th 04, 11:35 AM
Jeanette

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote in
message ...
Autumn is here in earnest, and the farm that delivers my weekly box of
veggies is now harvesting squash. Here's something for a frosty fall
night:

Butternut Squash Casserole

OOOOOOOHHH! I *adore* butternut squash. Possibly my favourite vegetable.

What's
a cilantro? Haven't heard of the term on this side of the pond.

Cilantro is American for coriander leaves.

Jeanette

Old October 4th 04, 11:45 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Cilantro is American for coriander leaves.

Jeanette

Thank you :-)

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 4th 04, 12:33 PM
O J

On Mon, 04 Oct, Jeanette wrote:

Helen wrote:

What's a cilantro? Haven't heard of the term on
this side of the pond.

Cilantro is American for coriander leaves.

And it's occasionally called Chinese parsley.

The recipe sounds great!

I never cook mine with a recipe, but a delicious soup can be made from
pumpkin. If you want to go to the extra trouble, it's excellent
served in a baked pumpkin shell, scraping down the sides as you serve
it. I just add onions, garlic (I put it in everything), and some
spices to taste. Simmer till pumpkin is done, then puree. Serve with
American style sour cream (if you can get it -- per my sister, she
can't get it in Chelmsford, Essex, UK) in a bowl or roasted pumpkin
shell.

Regards and yummies,
O J